Youth Team Result Yaxley Lynx U18’s 0 Saints Youth Team 1

Yaxley Lynx U18’s 0 St Ives Town Youth Team 1

Date: Friday 20th January 2017
Kick Off: 7:30pm
Ground Address: In2itive Park, Leading Drove, Yaxley PE7 3NA
Competition: Hunts County U18 Semi-Final

Ten man Ives overcame a six week break, an icy surface and a very stubborn opponent to reach the final of Hunts County Cup for the first time in five years.

The all important goal arrived on 23 minutes thanks to the persistence of full back Adam Parmenter who battled his way into the home box to set up a close range finish for Sam Bond.

Prior to this opener the visitors had struggled to come to terms with their long lay-off and the 4G Astroturf surface. They were fortunate not to fall behind after only 22 seconds as Yaxley’s Liam Hatfield sprinted clear down the right and delivered a dangerous cross to the near post that Callum Sheppeard managed to block. But he only succeeded in teeing the ball up for Liam Sanderson who fortunately snatched at his chance and fired over from eight yards with the goal at his mercy.

The home side enjoyed the majority of possession in the early period with Ives over hitting their passes on the frost slickened surface. But although Hatield and Sanderson continued to look dangerous they were denied any further clear opportunity thanks to the well organised visitors defence.

Ives were just beginning to work their way into the game when the goal arrived as Parmenter started his run from deep and got into the box, before apparently loosing out to Dan Seaman in the home defence. But Parmenter never knows when he is beaten and he managed to battle back and rob the Yaxley man before delivering the perfect cross to the centre where Bond dived in to head home.

The goal seemed to settle the Ives and they enjoyed a period in the ascendency. An excellent run down the left by Tiago Dias only three minutes later sparked off a flowing passing move involving Mark Lloyd and Bond that ended up with the ball played into the feet of Matt Wright on the edge of the box. But his first time effort was always rising and comfortably cleared Miles Shire’s crossbar.

A blocked effort from Dias and a Wright shot into the side netting followed in the next ten minutes as the visitors remained on top. But having failed to add to their advantage Ives had goalkeeper Tom Smith to thanks for keeping them in front at the break. A deep cross from the left by Sam Royle was headed away at the back post by Kwiatowski, but under pressure from Hatfield his clearance fell just outside the box where Charlie Farrance caught it perfectly on the volley. The ball was arrowing in the top left hand corner of the net, but the excellent Smith flung himself high to his left to fingertip the ball onto the post and the loose ball was scrambled away by Kwiatowski.

The second half started with a small fracas on the edge of the Yaxley box after Wright had slid in on Billy Robinson. Both players picked up yellow cards as did goalkeeper Shire for needlessly getting involved. The first opportunity of the second period came Ives way only 30 seconds later as a Lloyd free kick into the box was headed down by Jamie Short and Dias stabbed in a shot that Shire saved comfortably low to his right.

This was Ives last real chance of the evening as Yaxley began to take control of the midfield, but they were struggling to break through the well organised and resolute Ives back line. When they did find any sort of way through they found keeper Smith was still in imperious form. He was next called into action on 54 minutes as he bravely gathered a low cross from the right by Sanderson just ahead of Hatfield and Matt Dole.

Smith also did well three minutes later as he stayed big when Sanderson was put clear by Hatfield. Again the Yaxley man lacked composure and failed to hit the target from a very good position.

Hatfield himself was guilty of failing to hit the target as he time his leap to perfection to get in a clean header on a Sanderson free kick from the right. He made good contact, but his effort from ten yards was a good three feet wide of Smith’s left hand post.

The Ives did manage a brief sortie into home territory on 75 minutes as Dias managed to win a corner. But it was almost their undoing as the home side broke at pace and the unlucky Patrik Polhos picked up his first yellow of the evening by pulling back Hatfield in the centre circle to take one for the team.

Smith was called into action again to preserve his clean sheet nine minutes from time as a cross from the right by Adam Newton was headed up in the air by a stretching Short. Seaman met the dropping ball on the volley ten yards out, but Smith was down smartly to his left to block the shot and his defenders helped out by hacking the loose ball clear.

Polhos picked up his second yellow on 90 minutes for a clumsy challenge on Jordan Harris that looked worse than it was as the Yaxley substitute was moving at pace. The free from 30 yards was curled over the bar by Hatfield and any anticipated late onslaught by the home side did not materialise as Ives cleverly kept the ball to play out the remaining six and half minutes added time at the end.

St Ives Team : Tom Smith, Parmenter, Kwiatowski, Jamie Short, Sheppeard, Polhos, Davidson, Lloyd (capt), Wright (Saunders 71), Bond (Anemou 79), Dias (Morris 88)

Unused subs : Ewan Smith, King

Goals : Bond 23

Attendance :  40 approx

The Under 18’s are the first of an historic four sides to make County Cup Semi-Finals this year so if you are free please go along to support our boys in the following up-coming matches :

Sunday 29th January – Under 14’s – 10.30 am kick off – Home at St Ivo Outdoor Centre Astro v Fenstanton

Tuesday 1st February – First Team – 7.45 pm kick off – Away at Eynesbury Rovers

Sunday 7th February – Under 13’s – 10.30 am kick off – Away at Warboys Colts Black