Youth Team Result St Ives Town Youth Team 1 Kings Lynn Town U18’s 1

St Ives Town Youth Team 1 Kings Lynn Town U18’s 1

Date: Monday 7th November 2016
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Ground Address: Jubilee Park, Kings Ripton Road, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, PE28 2NR
Competition: Thurlow Nunn Youth League West Division

Ives finally lost their one hundred percent win record in the League and had a very resilient defensive display and an on form keeper in Jordan Mitchell to thank for retaining an unbeaten League record against a strong, powerful, and quick King’s Lynn side.

The visitors came out of the blocks quickly and took this game to the Ives right from the off. Mitchell was called on to make his first save after only four minutes Kieren Shipp went down the right at pace and delivered a cross field ball to pick out Conor Young on the left corner of the box. He cut inside Adam Parmenter and fired in a shot that Mitchell held well.

Mitchell made an even better save only two minutes later as Danny Setchell clipped a ball into the box that Ryan Harnwell hit a first time volley from twelve yards. Mitchell did well to parry the effort and the ball was scrambled clear.

The Ives keeper was the busiest man on the park in these early stages and showed his bravery plunging in at the feet of Nathan Davies to claim a through ball from Harnwell on 15 minutes.

The Linnets should have gone in front two minutes later as overlapping full back Josh Lowe fired in a low effort from the left that Mitchell plunged to his left to push away. Harnwell was following up and should have scored, but only succeeded in putting his close range effort into the side netting.

Having soaked up all of the visitors pressure Ives stunned their opponents by going in front with their first real venture into opposition territory on 29 minutes. Skipper Mark Lloyd found a little bit of space on the left near the half way line. He turned inside and clipped a perfectly weighted ball into the centre where Tiago Dias had timed his run to perfection. The skilful Ives midfield man again showed his quality as he spotted Linnets keeper Charlie Congreve was on his penalty spot. Dias lob was perfect and in spite of the fast retreating custodians efforts to keep the ball out it sailed over his head and bounced up into the net.

Normal service was quickly restored as the visitors continued to knock the ball around at pace and keep the home side constantly on the back foot. Mitchell pulled off another good save on 34 minutes as he dived low to his left to push away a powerful drive from Harnwell.

The Linnets equaliser arrived eight minutes before the break and was perhaps a little fortunate as Davies and Jacub White combined well to play Young into space on the left. He tried to curl a ball into the centre with the outside of his right boot. But he did not quite get it right and the ball swung in over the head of Mitchell and nestled in the far top corner of the net.

There was only one more effort worthy of note before the break as Harnwell got on the end of a cross from the right by Jack Noble and was unlucky to see his effort deflect wide off Ives centre back Callum Sheppeard.

The visitors came within inches of going in front five minutes after the restart as Setchell fired in a long range effort that Mitchell did well to tip over the top. Harnwell got on the end of Young’s in-swinging corner, but his powerful header rattled the crossbar and was scrambled away to safety.

The next Linnets opportunity arrived on the hour as Callum South broke up an Ives breakaway and strode forward before feeding the ball into the feet of Setchell who fired wide from 25 yards.

Not surprisingly the visitors who had played this game at 100 miles per hour from the off were slowly beginning to run out of steam a bit. Their last good opportunity to grab a winner came on 68 minutes as Noble delivered another cross from the right Davies got a good contact on at the near post. Mitchell did well to block the effort and his defenders came to his aid as they pressurised Harnwell into prodding the loose ball wide.

The pace of the game began to drop for the last half an hour and whilst the Ives were unable to create anything to threaten the Linnets their defensive ranks retained their shape well and restricted the visitors to long range effort which either flew wide of their target, or were comfortably dealt with by the excellent Mitchell.

As time ticked on the more hopeful amongst us began to think that Ives may just get one chance to nick this game. Unfortunately the nearest they came was a ball over the top which both Matt Wright and Sam Bond chased. They both got there at the same time as keeper Congreve right on the edge of the box and were deemed to have fouled him as they challenged him for the bouncing ball.

Ives were always struggling to get a foothold in this game as the visitors constantly  harried them in possession and when The Linnets won the ball their pace and movement troubled the Ives throughout. But to their great credit the youngsters showed their battling qualities as they stuck in there and battled for every ball. Every man did his job and ensured that they played their part in an excellent defensive display to claim a very well earned point.

St Ives Team : Mitchell, Parmenter (Delgado Vaz 79), Land, Jamie Short, Sheppeard, Eyles, Davidson (Anemou 51), McDaid (Bond 60), Wright, Dias, Lloyd (capt),

Unused subs : Kwiatowski, Saunders

Other substitutions roll on/roll off : McDaid for Lloyd 79

Goals : Dias 29

Attendance :  44