Youth Team Result: Eynesbury Rovers U18’s 1 St Ives Town Youth 3

Eynesbury Rovers U18’s 1 St Ives Town Youth Team 3

Date: Thursday 18th August 2016
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Ground Address: Alfred Hall Memorial Ground, Hall Road, Eynesbury, PE19 2SF
Competition: Thurlow Nunn Youth League West Division

Goals from Jaiden Richardson, Matt Wright and an early contender for goal of the season from Reuben Eyles saw Ives scholars off to an opening day victory at Thurlow Nunn new boys Eynesbury Rovers.

The side put out for this opening game was a good mix of first and second year scholars and make no mistake this was a good win against an opposing club who have dominated the Northants Senior Youth League finishing first, or second, in each of the last three seasons prior to their move to the Thurlow Nunn. They are also holders of the County Youth Cup having beaten Ives in last year’s semi-final. Overall this was an excellent victory on the immaculate surface of the Alfred Hall Memorial Ground.

The first half of the game was almost a non-event as far as goalmouth action was concerned as both sides cancelled each other out. All this changed in the final minute before the break as Ives almost went in front from the best move of the game up to that point. Adam Parmenter, Sam Davidson and Richardson all combined down the right with the final pass from Davidson putting Joe McDaid clear. His left foot effort from just inside the box was well saved by the home keeper low to his left. But the Rovers made the mistake of trying to play the ball out from the back and lost it just outside their own box. The ball arrived at the feet of Richardson 25 yards from goal and he spotted the keeper of his line and calmly floated the ball over his head and into the net.

That was Richardson’s last action of the evening as he and Sam Bedwell-Byatt were replaced by the speedy duo of Matt Wright and Ammoncio Anemou at half time. With pace to burn now up front Ives started to get well on top and create chances. Wright almost doubled Ives advantage on 54 minutes as he seized an opportunity to run at the heart of the Rovers defence and forced his way through with a burst of acceleration that almost put him clear. But a lunging tackle just prevented him getting a clean shot away and the Eynesbury keeper did well to block the effort with his legs.

Wright then combined well with Anemou on the left ten minutes later before delivering an inviting low cross that just eluded Davidson as he tried to force it home from just outside the six yard box.

Quick thinking by skipper Mark Lloyd created another opportunity on 62 minutes as received a quick free kick from Jamie Short and then combined with Davidson and Parr before setting up a shooting chance for the young full back that he fired inches wide of the Eynesbury keeper’s left hand post.

Just when we were beginning to worry that a second goal was not going to arrive it appeared out of nothing on 73 minutes as the battling Eyles won a challenge in midfield and strode forward before unleashing a thunderbolt from fully 30 yards that flew into the top corner past the keeper’s despairing dive.

To their credit the Rovers continued to try to press forward to get back into the game with their speedy right winger causing a few problems. But the Ives defence was well marshalled by Callum Sheppeard and anything that did get through was dealt with comfortably by the solid looking keeper Tom Smith. His accurate distribution and long kicks were also an effective weapon for the Ives.

One of his kicks was excellently brought down by Anemou on 77 minutes. The young wide man instantly sped past his marker and was unceremoniously brought down by a covering defender. Lloyd again took a clever free kick laying the ball square into the path of Eyles who again hammered in an effort from 25 yards that was blocked by a defender. The ball rebounded to Lloyd who curled his effort inches wide of the far post from just inside the box.

The all action Wright was still terrorising the home defence and robbed a dallying defender on 80 minutes before running in on goal. Only to again be denied by the battling home keeper who stayed solid and blocked the effort with his legs.

The goal that Wright deserved finally arrived in added time as Eyles won yet another challenge in midfield and knocked the ball down to him just outside the D. Wright side stepped his marker and strode into the box before finally slotting the ball under the body of the diving keeper.

There was still time for Ives to learn a lesson on the night as they switched off and allowed Eynesbury to grab a consolation with the last kick of the game to deny Smith his deserved clean sheet. The speedy right winger finally got away and delivered a ball to the far post where an Eynesbury striker forced himself between two defenders to rifle the ball over the line.

This was a good overall performance at a place where others will struggle to get a result. Everyone played their part and it bodes well for the season in what looks like a very competitive division. Lesson for the evening though concentration right up to the final whistle!.

St Ives Team : Tom Smith, Parmenter, Ewan Smith (Parr 89), Jamie Short, Sheppeard, Eyles, Davidson, Bedwell-Byatt (Anemou 45), Richardson (Wright 45), McDaid, Lloyd (capt),

Sub not used : Kwiatowski

Goals : Richardson 45, Eyles 73, Wright 90+2

Attendance :  43