Youth Team Result Wisbech St Mary U18 0 St Ives Town 5

Match Report

Wisbech St Mary U18  0  St Ives Town Youth Team  5      

Thurlow Nunn Youth League Western Division – 29/08/17

The young Ives visited Beechings Close where they had always previously struggled and made their first win at the ground a handsome one in a game that they ruled from start to finish. But for some very good goalkeeping and some wasteful finishing from the Ives the score line could have been considerably more. But Kyrie Foster filled his boots with a hat trick with Vitor Vaz and Martin Saunders completed the rout.

In only the second minute Foster and Billy Mobbs worked their way through the heart of the hosts back line and set up a shooting opportunity for the usually deadly Tiago Dias, but he fired his effort from the edge of the box inches wide.

Ives keeper Tom Smith generally had a very quiet evening, but he was called upon to make a save in 6th minute as Robbie Knight burst through on the left side and fired in a low drive that Smith had to palm away at his near post.

Mobbs battled his way to the bye line on the left in the 18th minute. His attempted pull back was half cleared to Patrik Polhos in the D. He took a touch and curled a right footed effort just wide with keeper Ashley Clarke looking on.

Clarke’s goal was breached only two minutes later with Polhos again to the fore. He won the ball in the centre circle before driving forward and sliding it into the run of Foster who unleashed a low drive from 25 yards that beat Clarke low to his left and nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

The Ives tails were well up now and they continued to put pressure on the hosts all over the park. Vaz cut out and intended cross field pass 30 yards from goal in the 20th minute. He drove onto the edge of the box and fired in a low skimming effort that Clarke did well to turn away low to his right. The keeper made an even better save to deny the same man from the resulting corner. Mobbs delivered a hanging ball to the edge of the six yard box that Vaz attacked. But Clarke pulled off an amazing reaction save at point blank range to turn over his powerful header.

The Ives pressure continued and they went close to adding to their lead four times in the next five minutes. Saunders fired into the side netting after being put through the left channel by Dias. Vaz was again denied by the diving Clarke having turned his marker inside out and then fired in another low drive from the corner of the box. Foster was denied by the post after he was teed up inside the box by Vaz. The all action Vaz also fired a volley wide from a good position having got on the end of a cross from the left by Saunders.

With the second goal not coming it almost seemed that the game needed to come up for air and although the Ives continued to run the affair they did not create another good opportunity in the next 15 minutes. But by this point the rain was sweeping down and with the ground still firm underneath the ball was skipping around very nicely. Vaz took advantage of a slip by Jack Dida to add the second four minutes before the break. A cross from Saunders from the left skidded off the turf in front of Dida and he made a complete mess of his attempted clearance leaving Vaz with the simple task of side footing home at the back post.

There was still time before the break for Dias and Saunders to combine to set up an opportunity for Mobbs, but his well struck shot from the edge of the box was deflected just wide.

Ives started the second half as they had spent most of the first, in the ascendency. The difference this time was that the goals started to rattle in and a three goal burst around the hour mark completely finished off the game. Before the goals came there was still time for more heroics from Clarke as he made another good low save to his right to deny Dias who had got on the end of a Vaz cross from the right and looked certain to score from ten yards.

The first of the three goal salvo arrived in simple fashion on 56 minutes as Foster used his pace to get beyond the last defender and get on the end of a long ball out of defence. He kept his composure to beat Clarke low to his left.

Saunders added the next two minutes later in somewhat more dramatic fashion. He picked up the ball forty yards from goal and ran at the tiring Wisbech defence scything his way through before eventually finishing with a toe poke past the advancing Clarke from just inside the box.

The fifth goal arrived six minutes later as Dias laid a ball into the feet of Mobbs by the near post. He found room to turn and squared the ball across goal to Foster who took a touch before firing home past the exposed Clarke to claim his hat trick from eight yards.

This was Foster’s last action as he and four of his colleagues were replaced in the next two minutes with the game completely dead. The hosts were also now making wholesale changes, including replacing the excellent Clarke. With all of the changes and the game now finished as a contest it was no surprise that the pace dropped off and chances became more at a premium.

Each side created an opportunity in quick succession around the 75 minute mark. Ives substitute Owen King got away down the left and flashed a cross across the face of goal just inches ahead of his inrushing fellow replacements Cobi Thomas and Sam Bond. Another sub Ashley Morris was on hand to deny the hosts a consolation as he cleared a header from Keenan Hall off the line after the big centre back had got on the end of a rare Wisbech corner delivered from the right by Tom Lindsay.

Bond went close to adding a sixth goal eight minutes from time as he got put through by King. But although his attempted lob beat substitute keeper Alex Bishop it floated the wrong side of the post.

The game finished as it had started with Dias thudding a low drive into the boards just to the right of the Wisbech goal. This time he had picked up a half clearance from a King cross from the left and took a touch before trying his luck from 25 yards.

Overall a very comfortable win, there will be much tougher challenges to come. But as they say you can only beat the sides that are put in front of you and this was another excellent all round performance. The thing that is perhaps a little scary is that this side will get better as the season develops and the new intake continue to jell with the second years. Get along and give them a look you will not be disappointed with the entertainment.

St Ives Team : Smith, Kwiatowski, Makeham (Oldale 67), Short (capt), Locke, Polhos (Morris 67), Vaz, Dias, Mobbs (Bond 67), Foster (Thomas 65), Saunders (King 65)

Unused subs : none

Goals : Foster 18, 56 & 64, Vaz 41, Saunders 58

Attendance :  73

Match report by Nigel Howlett