St Ives Town 4 Eynesbury Rovers 1

Wednesday 21st November 2013 – Hunts Senior Cup Semi Finalmdp services 200 x 100

St Ives Town 4 Eynesbury Rovers 1

Att: 91
Man of the Match : Avelino Vieira (awarded by MDP Services)

“Saints reach another Senior Cup Final after putting four past Rovers”

by Simon Clark

The Saints powered their way through to the Senior Cup Final in emphatic style with goals from Avelino Vieira 2, Karl Gibbs and David Cobb to set up a mouth watering tie in May 2014 against either Huntingdon Town or St Neots Town, who are due to play in December 2013.

In difficult conditions at Westwood Road, due to over night rain and a downpour less than two hours before kick off, a strong Saints line up started brightly but Rovers limited the favourites to only long range efforts, coming from Jared Cunniff and man of the match; Avelino Vieira. Stuart Cobb’s cross shot was well saved by Andrew Hale in the Rovers goal on 20 minutes and moments later Vieira’s close range volley was again matched by Hale. Resulting from the corner, David Cobb found himself with space on the edge of the area to fire home a low drive into the bottom corner to give the supporters the opening goal of the game.

Barney McLaughlin in the Saints goal, on loan from Histon, was called into action for the first time on 32 minutes as the Saints defence controlled the Rovers forward line. Vieira thought he had opened his account on 37 minutes but the assistant on the far side had ruled him offside.

The Saints took the lead into the half time break and were looking to capitalise on their advantage but it was the UCL Division One side who had other ideas. On 55 minutes, David Cobb cleared off the line after a collision involving McLaughlin and striker; Lee Bassett. Tom Coles’ effort rebounded off the crossbar moments later and Darren Woodened fired into the roof of the net.

On the hour mark, the Saints turned on the style and dominated the last 30 minutes with some slick passing moves. Avelino Vieira made it 2-1 on 63 minutes when he finished from close range after a David Cobb in swinging corner. On 65 minutes, Jon Stead found himself in acres of space and through on goal but he blasted his short over. Substitute; Karl Gibbs, entered the field and moments later his impact was crucial as the Saints grabbed the all important third goal to book their place in the cup final. A Vieira cross was drilled into the Rovers penalty area and Gibbs rose above the defenders to power home a header into the bottom corner.

The tie was sealed in injury time as Vieira impressed the 90+ watching with a superb individual goal. He showed great composure to dribble the ball, in a Ricky Villa fashion, round three defenders and the goalkeeper to smash the ball home from  two yards.

The Saints now face either Huntingdon Town or St Neots Town in the final to be played at St Neots Town’s ground on Friday 2nd May 2014.


After the match, Saints Co Manager; Warren Everdell spoke to the website to give us his thoughts on the 4-1 victory. “I felt that we did avery professional job in what was very difficult circumstances. They were difficult to play against as they were a strong physical side but I felt that we kept the ball well in the right areas and I was really happy with the way in which we played” Everdell added “I am delighted that we have reached the final and it will be a great night for the club at the end of hopefully a great season”