St Ives Town 2 Royston Town 3

Tuesday 26th November 2013 – Red Insure Cup (2nd Round)red insure cup

St Ives Town 2 Royston Town 3

Att: 124
Man of the Match (R&M Carpets): Will Fordham (St Ives Town)
Man of the Match (PB Bathrooms): Jordan Lambert (St Ives Town)

“The Crows fly in and fly out with two late goals”

by Simon Clark

It was the last ten minutes of play, when everyone at ProEdge Westwood Road assumed a 2-1 victory for the Saints, when Royston came from behind to win 2-3 to progress to the next round of the League Cup.

The game started perfectly for the Saints when Dan Newman flicked in a David Cobb corner on 4 minutes from close range to give the Saints an early advantage to the much fancied cup tie. Royston had a great chance on 12 minutes when Crows skipper; Adie Cambridge’s cross was met on the volley by Rob Mason who saw his volley flash over Barney McLaughlin’s goal. Royston looked dangerous on the break and there persistence shone through on 19 minutes McLaughlin raced off his line to block the run of Kaan Fehmi but as the ball rebounded, neither Stuart Cobb or Dan Newman could prevent the front man from toe poking the ball into the unguarded net.

Luke Robins dragged a shot wide on 26 minutes for the Hertfordshire side and David Cobb found himself clearing off teh Saints line moments later as Royston looked to press for the lead in the last minutes of the first half. Further chances fell to Mason and Carl Edwards but both efforts were well matched by McLaughlin.

Karl Gibbs found himself with space just inside the penalty area, with only 5 minutes to go of the first period, after a defensive mix up but his close range volley only troubled the net behind the goal.

Early in the second period, the Saints started to take control of the game and centre midfielder; Dan Banister went close on 52 minutes but saw his effort cleared off the line. Newman had thought he had got his second of the match and season but the referee judged a foul inside the area to deny the Saints a well deserved lead.

Subsitute; Dubi Ogbonna, made an immediate impact to the Saints forward line and his efforts were rewarded on 61 minutes when he found himself in a great position from 8 yards to drive the ball home. With the Saints still controlling proceedings; Royston turned defence into attack brought the game level on 82 minutes as Carl Edwards found space to finish inside the penalty area. The game was heading straight to penalties but midfielder; Ryan Lockett had other ideas. His 60 yard run was unchallenged, even though the Saints defence had tried to pull him back, and he clinically finished into the bottom corner, leaving McLaughlin no chance of a save.

The clock ran down and the Crows progressed through to the 3rd round of the Red Insure Cup where they could face either Dunstable Town, Kettering Town or St Neots Town.

Saints Co Manager; Jez Hall spoke to the website to give us his reaction. “Felt both teams defences were in control the majority of the game and all the play was mainly in midfield. When we took the lead we were in control and then made two bad errors defensively as a team. Fair play for their finishing though with the two late chances. Disappointing to lose any game that late on when we felt the team had done well against a good side.”

Saints: McLaughlin, S Cobb (King 45mins), Lambert, Newman, Fordham, Dean, Banister, D Cobb (Cunniff 83 mins) Stead, Vieira (Ogbonna 52 mins) Gibbs

Referee: A Da Costa