St Ives Town 1 Dunstable Town 4

Tuesday 8th October 2013 – The Calor League (Division One – Central)City Security Services Logo

St Ives Town 1 Dunstable Town 4

Att: 167

Sponsors Man of the Match: Jared Cunniff (St Ives Town)

Off the back of an excellent win against Rainworth Miners Welfare in the FA Trophy the Saints were brought back down to earth with four bumps as they were defeated by an excellent Dunstable Town side who raced to a four goal lead at half time. But it was a ‘game of two halves’ as the Saints found their rhythm in the second period to make it 1-4.

Karl Gibbs had an excellent chance on 9 minutes when a Stuart Cobb free kick was poorly cleared to leave Gibbs with the chance to flick the ball goal wards and the home crowd would have been cheering a one nil lead if it wasn’t for the finger tips of the young Jamie Head in the Dunstable goal. Avelino Vieria’s free kick from 30 yards sailed over Head’s cross bar on 13 minutes to once again show promise. It was the remaining half hour that saw Dunstable run riot. On 16 minutes, the tricky Lee Roache worked his way to the goal line to pull an acute ball back for Nathan Frater to open the scoring. Jordan Lambert’s challenge on Christopher Marsh was enough for the Paul Evans to point to the spot. Full back Danny Hutchins stepped up to double the advantage for the visiting team.

At this point, Dunstable had converted two chances after the initial pressure from the Saints. It was soon to be 0-3 when a mix up in between the defence and goalkeeper; Nick Bennion left Tony Burnett to skip through and convert from close range into an unguarded net. Christopher Marsh turned goal scorer on 43 minutes to make it 0-4 and a very comfortable lead for the visiting team.

The second half proved more fruitful for the Saints and albeit the game was close to being all over, they pressed and applied pressure to the Dunstable defence. Their efforts were rewarded when on 88 minutes David Cobb was felled inside the penalty area and Paul Evans pointed to the spot for the second time in the game. Avelino Vieria stepped up and calmly finished to score his second goal in two games in a Saints shirt.

The Saints now host Potters Bar Town on Saturday before they are distracted by the League Cup and also an FA Trophy match against fellow Calor League members; Kettering Town on Saturday 19th October 2013.