St Ives Town 1 Chalfont St Peter 1

Saturday 4th October 2014 – Southern League – Div 1 CentralChalfont St Peter

St Ives Town 1  Chalfont St Peter 1

Attendance: 181
Man of the match: Jonny Hall

The Ives bounced back from their recent run of poor form with a hard earned point, in a game which started in pouring rain and ended in brilliant sunshine, against a talented Chalfont side who showed just why they are so hard to beat.

The first opportunity of the game fell to the home side on four minutes as Jack Higgs was brought down 30 yards from goal and picked himself up to hit a well struck free kick which skidded of the wet surface in front of visitors keeper Michael McEntegart who did well to push the ball away at full stretch.

The visitors rocked the shaky confidence of the Ives as they took the lead on only 8 minutes. As Alex Paine rose highest in the box to head home Remmell Clarke’s near post corner, past debutant keeper Tim Trebes. The visitors looked to increase their lead on 17 minutes, Clarke played in Aaron Lansiquot, his shot from just inside the box was deflected past Trebes off Jordan Lambert, but Jonny Hall managed to get around behind his keeper to clear the danger.

Unlike last week the Ives players were up for a battle and began to work their way back into the game. On 19 minutes a quick throw by Hayden Bream found Ryan Ingrey in the box, he managed to get past his marker to the bye line and played a low ball into the goal mouth where Ben Seymour-Shove reacted quickest to fire in a shot from close range that was deflected over the keeper to put the home side level.

The home side were now on the front foot and had a good appeal for a penalty turned down by the referee on 25 minutes as Seymour-Shove was unceremoniously pushed to the ground as he moved to attack a long free kick into the box by Higgs. Only one minute later a driven cross into the box by Salim Relizani was spilled by keeper McEntegart, but the ball was scrambled clear before Seymour-Shove could force it home.

The visiting Saints still looked threatening on the break and went straight down the other end where a dangerous ball into the box was only half cleared and fell to Connor Hayes on the edge of the area but his first time shot flew well wide. The next chance fell to the home side on 30 minutes as a quick exchange of passes down the left by Jon Stead and Relizani gave Hall chance to get in a cross that Seymour-Shove headed just wide. One minute later and good work by Lansiquot fed the ball into visiting skipper Alan Hedley who did well to turn in the box and get in a shot that Trebes did well to push away.

The midfield battle continued with skipper Jimmy Dean leading from the front, on 44 minutes he won another tackle and fed the ball in to Ingrey who was cynically taken down from behind. But Referee Laflin played a good advantage allowing Higgs to break forward and curl a shot just wide of keeper McEntegart’s left hand post. The home side created one more chance in injury time at the end of the first half as more good work by Stead and Relizani set up Higgs who fired in a powerful shot from 20 yards that keeper McEntegart did well to push away.

The rain stopped and the sun came out for the start of the second half but the game continued as a midfield battle with both sides fighting to gain the upper hand and both defences working effectively to ensure that even half chances were kept to a minimum. It took until 64 minutes before either side came close, when Ingrey did well to hold up the ball and play in Relizani down the right. Seymour-Shove flicked on his cross at the near post, but the onrushing Higgs was crowded out before he could get his shot away.

The visitors were almost handed the lead on 66 minutes when keeper Trebes misjudged a long ball out of the sun by Clarke and only just managed to recover and smother the ball before Lansiquot could prod it home. On 71 minutes good pressing by Ingrey won him the ball 25 yards out, he tried his luck with a snap shot which only just cleared the cross bar.

Trebes had to be on his toes five minutes later as Paine threaded the ball through to substitute Terrell Lewis, but the home keeper was quickly off his line to smother the ball just ahead of the Saints striker. The Ives went straight down the other end and a clearance fell to Bream 35 yards out, he strode forward 10 yards and tried his luck but once more a Saints defender bravely threw himself in the way of the powerful shot.

The visitors final chance of the game came on 87 minutes as Clarke forged through the defence and was well tackled just inside the box by Lambert. The ball ran loose but again Trebes was smartly off his line to throw himself fearlessly on to the ball ahead of the incoming Saints. Chalfont went down to ten men on 89 minutes as Hayes received his second caution of the game for a foul on Higgs in midfield. The final half chance of the game fell to a hard working Higgs as Ollie Medwynter’s long throw was punched clear to him 25 yards out, but he was quickly closed down and fired well over the top.

In conclusion a draw was probably a fair result as both defences were on top throughout this game. The visitors are a very hard team to beat and managed to stretch their unbeaten run to nine games. The home fans will be happier with the much better level of effort all around and all will hope to build on this performance on Tuesday evening.
Nigel Howlett

St Ives team : Trebes, Bream, Hall, Lambert, Smith, Dean (capt) (Medwynter 83), Relizani (Joseph 74), Stead (Eason 90+1), Ingrey, Higgs, Seymour-Shove.
Unused subs : None
Goals : Seymour-Shove (19)
Yellow cards : Lambert (26), Seymour-Shove (62), Bream (90)
Sponsors Man of the Match : Hall
Final Score : St Ives Town 1 Chalfont St Peter 1
Attendance : 181


2014-10-04 SITFC Vs Chalfont St Peter











Match Sponsor…
Dunham Property Agents2







Upcoming matches…
Tue 7th Oct 7.45pm kick off HOME to Bedworth United (1st Team League)
Thu 9th Oct 7.45pm AWAY to March Town Utd (U18 League)

Source :