St Ives Town 0 North Greenford United 1

Tuesday 10th December 2013 – The Calor League Division One (Central)Waterworx plumbing 200 x 100

St Ives Town 0 North Greenford United 1

Att: 122
Man of the Match (awarded by Waterworx Plumbing & Heating): Jordan Lambert (St Ives Town)

“Saints lose to a 92nd minute goal by United”

In a much fancied game for the Saints, as North Greenford are placed in the bottom three of the Division One Central, it was the Middlesex side who came to ProEdge Westwood Road and stunned the home side with a gritty performance but stealing all three points with a goal in the dying minutes.

In a first half of very few chances for the Saints, it was United who brought out the best of loanee Barney McLaughlin. On 11 minutes, Carlton Stewart’s header was heading goalwards until McLaughlin pulled off an excellent stop. On 40 minutes, fellow centre half; Louis Stead’s long range effort was well gathered by the 18 year old Histon stopper.

44 minutes into the game and North Greenford’s best opportunity fell to Daryl Brown as he had time to bring the ball down, turn, and with a clear strike a goal he blasted his effort over the bar from 12 yards.

The Saints best effort fell to Jon Stead, moments before the half time whistle, when a good move in midfield saw Tom Meechan flick the ball on to Stead who had time to compose himself but saw his effort drag wide of Lee Pearce’s goal.

The second half was more promising for the Saints and the feeling was that a goal could easily turn into two or three but resilient defending by the visitors limited the Saints forward line with chances.  Karl Gibbs saw his effort saved on 55 minutes by Pearce and David Cobb’s long range effort was well gathered. Against the run of play, North Greenford found themselves in a 3 v 1 situation and when Wayne Jackson shaped himself up to finish, Jason King flung himself into the challenge to block his effort, surely denying the opening goal.

On 85 minutes, United defender; Carlton Stewart (who had previously been cautioned) found himself seeing red for kicking the ball away. With the away side reshuffling their pack, the Saints took the opportunity and from the resulting throw in and subsequent cross, Karl Gibbs’ close range effort hit the post and when the rebound fell to substitute; Avelino Vieira he found himself with his back to goal and unable to convert the rebound.

It was in the 92nd minute of the game that gave United the opportunity to steal the three points. Dan Newman brought down Daryl Brown in what appeared by many to be outside the penalty area. The referee pointed to the spot and Liam Hind stepped up and saw his excellent strike well saved by McLaughlin in the Saints goal. However, the rebound fell straight back to Hind who drove the ball in from 6 yards.

The Saints will feel disappointed in their performance tonight and looking to get things back on track this weekend when they travel to Aylesbury.