Youth Team Result: Chatteris Town U18’s 3 St Ives Youth 3

Monday 12th October 2015 – Thurlow Nunn Youth League West Division

Chatteris Town U18’s 3 St Ives Town Youth 3

The young Ives visited struggling Chatteris and probably expected to come away with all three points. Although the home side raised their game and battled well to earn their point this was, it truth, a game the visitors should have sew up long before the Lilies late equaliser.

The first effort on goal came from the visitors as Ewan Smith rattled the home crossbar with a 25 yard free kick after only seven minutes. But they fell behind as they switched off at the home side’s first free kick only four minutes later. The ball was curled in from the right and the Ives defence failed to pick up big Chatteris centre back Jacob Butler who powered home his header from six yards.

The Ives reacted well and Sam Bedwell-Byatt went close with a near post header, and Mark Lloyd had a 25 yard effort tipped over, before two goals in a minute from Matt Wright turned the game on it’s head. On 27 minutes he expertly took down a long free kick from Lloyd on the edge of the box he skilfully turned and fired home under the diving keeper all in one motion. Less than 60 seconds later he received a pass into his path from Bedwell-Byatt and hammered the ball home from the corner of the box to put the visitors in front.

Wright was causing havoc in the home defence and three minutes later he was brought down 30 yards out. George Reader clipped in the free kick, Bedwell-Byatt won the header to put the ball back into the six yard box, but no one was on hand to force it over the line.

The unfortunate Lloyd rattled the home side’s woodwork for the second time just before the break as he robbed Butler just outside the box and beat the keeper with a crisp drive that hit the wrong side of the upright and went out of play.

The young Ives were caught cold for the second time as Chatteris equalised within less than a minute of the re-start. Josh Brittin was put clear and made no mistake slotting the ball in the bottom corner past the advancing Mitchell.

Mitchell made a fantastic double save to keep the Ives level on the hour as he first beat away a crashing drive from 20 yards by Brittin and even more impressively got his body across to bravely block the follow up shot from a Chatteris substitute.

As the game wore on the visitors began to take control and went close on a number of occasions before finally going back in front. On 66 minutes Lloyd was unlucky to see his goal bound header to a Bailey Pillin cross hacked off the line. Two minutes later a Reader header from a corner was similarly blocked on the goal line. On 69 minutes Wright was put clean through, but failed to hit the target from the edge of the box.

Ives finally got back in front on 73 minutes as Joseph Morgan-McDaid fired in a fierce drive from 25 yards that the home keeper could not hold onto and Wright was first to react to the loose ball to complete his hat trick. Five minutes later Reader had another 25 yard pile driver palmed away by the keeper.

But this was Ives final effort and they started the dangerous game of trying to run down time. This saw them retreating deeper and deeper which seemed to give the home side heart. They finally grabbed an unlikely equaliser three minutes into added time as a free kick from the right was not cleared and Ashley Howlett latched onto the loose ball to fire home from close range to earn the Lilies a point.

St Ives Team : Mitchell, Smith, Land, Eyles, Shepherd, Reader, Davidson, Morgan-McDaid, Bedwell-Byatt, Wright, Lloyd

Subs (all three used roll on/roll off) : Parmenter, Pillin, Cooper, Thompson, Texter