Result: St Ives Town 5 Leighton Town 0

Saturday 10th October 2015 –  Southern League Division One Central

St Ives Town 5 Leighton Town 0

The goals continued to flow for the rampant Ives as they took their tally to thirteen in the last three games with this demolition of lowly Leighton Town. Goals from Peter Clark, Charlie Death, Stuart Eason and a brace from Danny Watson were the icing on the cake of another excellent all round display of flowing football.

The confident Ives started this game on the front foot and came close to taking the lead only ninety seconds in as Ben Seymour-Shove ran clear onto an Eason flick only to be denied by an assistant’s flag.

The Reds defenders were looking at sixes and sevens against the flowing style of the Ives and were almost caught out on three minutes as Seymour-Shove was allowed to bring the ball down and turn 30 yards from goal. He not closed down and tried his luck with a crisp drive that rattled the boards only inches wide of Sam Mazurek’s right hand post with the keeper beaten.

The traffic was all one way and chances were coming thick and fast. On eight minutes Seymour-Shove got away down the right and picked out Watson near the penalty spot with his pull back. Unfortunately the usually reliable striker miss hit his first time effort and the ball was scrambled clear.

The inevitable first goal came on thirteen minutes as Jordan Jarrold won a tackle at the back and fed the ball down the line to Phil Draycott. Draycott played the ball inside to Seymour-Shove who picked out the well timed run of Clark with a perfectly weighted ball. Clark made no mistake slotting the ball low to Mazurek’s right as the keeper advanced to close him down.

The goal produced a brief response from the visitors and Kerran Birch fired their first effort of the game wide from 20 yards on 18 minutes. This was quickly followed by their second effort on 22 minutes as Aaron McKee achieved the almost impossible by winning a tackle against Luke Knight in midfield. He strode on and fired in an effort from 25 yards that was straight at Tim Trebes in the home goal.

Ives quickly regained the ascendency and claimed their second goal from a well worked dead ball situation on 31 minutes. The amount of movement by the Ives players in the box made it very difficult for the Reds defenders to pick everyone up and Draycott’s in-swinging was powerfully met eight yards out by centre back Charlie De’ath to give Mazurek no chance.

The third goal came seven minutes later and again showed that Ives were winning the aerial battle as well as knocking the ball around on the deck. A long free kick from Jarrold was won at the back of the box by Eason and his header back into the middle was flicked on again by Harry O’Malley. The ever alert Watson was first to react bringing down the dropping ball and turning to slot it in the bottom corner from twelve yards.

The Ives managed to give the visitors one chance to get back into the game before the break as Trebes miss kicked his attempted clearance of a back pass on 41 minutes. The ball flew straight to Birch, fully 40 yards from goal, but the Reds winger took a touch a floated in an almost inch perfect lob that a fast retreating Trebes was very grateful to see land on the top of the net.

The visitors took a roasting from their manager at half time, but this did not have the desired effect as they almost fell further behind from the kick off. The ball was passed back to O’Malley who put a long ball down the middle that was missed by Reds skipper James Hatch to allow Watson a free run on goal. But rather than try to bring down the bouncing ball Watson tried to lob Mazurek from the edge of the box and only succeeded in putting the ball into the relieved keeper’s arms.

The home faithful did not have to wait long for the forth as only two minutes later Jarrold played another precise ball down the left to put Draycott away, he got to the bye line and drove in a cross that Mazurek could only parry onto the body of Eason and he gratefully accepted the gift firing home the loose ball from a couple of yards.

Steve Gentle should have made it five nine minutes later as yet another well rehearsed corner routine saw the ball arrive at his feet in the six yard box, but he only got a poor contact and the ball was hacked clear by the Reds hard pressed defence.

The visitors did have another brief sortie into the Ives box just before the hour and had two good chances to get on the score sheet. Craig Maisiri wriggled his way past O’Malley on the left and fired over a cross that Gentle managed to block at the near post. But the ball fell to Ben Gallant who was unlucky to see his effort from the edge of the box deflected just wide. The resulting corner was won eight yards out by Alex Woodfine, but his goal bound effort lacked power and was hacked away by Knight.

Once again the home side went straight back up the other end and added to their tally as a long punt from Trebes was flicked on to put Watson clear and he found himself with time and space to skilfully take down the ball and calmly slot it past the exposed Mazurek.

This goal sparked a series of home substitutions as manager Ricky Marheineke seized the opportunity to give more pitch time to Scott Sinclair, Jarred Cunniff and Chae Simons. All three had chance to show their abilities in the remaining half an hour. Cunniff looks like he will take a little while to get fully up to speed with the pace of the game after his time away in Australia. Sinclair will also take a while to get fully match fit after his long lay- off and Simons was his usual ever willing self and probably deserved a goal for his troubles.

After the changes it took a little while for the game to start to flow again and the next effort on goal did not come until the 71st minute. Simons was fouled wide left and Cunniff’s free kick was headed up in the air by Reds defender Jordan Jenkins. Eason attacked the dropping ball but could not beat Mazurek with his header from 12 yards.

Simons was again involved five minutes later as he chased down a deep cross from O’Malley and fired in another cross from the left that was half cleared to Jarrold 25 yards from goal. The young full back fired his first time effort just over the top.

Two of the substitutes combined to go close only one minute later as Cunniff curled in a cross from the right that picked out Simons for a free header ten yards out. He directed his downward header past the keeper, but covering defender Hatch just managed to scramble the ball off the line.

The remaining time was comfortably run down by the home side with only one more effort of note on goal. On 87 minutes O’Malley was allowed time to pick up a loose ball forty yards from goal and as no one closed him down he rampaged forward and fired in a pile driver from 35 yards that flew just over the angle.

The man of the match award was once again a tough one to call as there were a lot of contenders with very valid claims. The final award went to Peter Clark who was hugely influential in midfield, barely misplaced a pass and set the ball rolling with his well taken early goal. However he was pushed close by Charlie De’ath who was very solid and read the game expertly at the back and took his goal very well. Harry O’Malley who had a storming game at right back generally keeping his winger under wraps whilst also causing the opposition full back a lot of problems. Ben Seymour-Shove also combined well with O’Malley on the right to ensure that the visitors Matt Hall had a torrid game at left back. Danny Watson, up against his former Club, was also very influential either in creating space with his movement, or holding the ball up. He also took his goals very well.

This result and others on the day took the Ives up to the dizzy heights of second in the table. It must be said that on their performances so far this season they are in that position on merit. It is now all about keeping the momentum going as the matches come thick and fast. Local rivals St Neots are up next as the Ives visit them on Tuesday evening in the Red Insure Cup.

Leighton H Line Up

St Ives team : Trebes, O’Malley, Jarrold, Death, Gentle, Knight (capt), Seymour-Shove (Cunniff 60), Clark, Eason, Watson (Simons 66), Draycott (Sinclair 60)

Unused subs : none

Goals : Clark 13, Death 31, Watson 38, 60, Eason 47

Man of the Match : Peter Clark

Final Score : St Ives Town 5 Leighton Town 0

Attendance : 288