Result: St Ives Town 3 Eynesbury Rovers 1

Tuesday 22nd July 2014 – Pre-Season Friendly

St Ives Town 3  Eynesbury Rovers 1

Att: 85

Goals from Scott Sinclair, Jon Stead (penalty) and Stuart Eason saw St Ives to a comfortable 3-1 win over Eynesbury Rovers as their pre-season build up continued at ProEdge Westwood Road on Tuesday evening.

The game started badly for the Ives as with less than three minutes on the clock an under pressure Barney McLaughlin in the home goal failed to gather a long free kick into the box by Josh Ling and Lee Bassett was on hand to turn in the loose ball.
Scott Sinclair was already starting to make inroads into the visitors defence and after 12 minutes his excellent through ball found Ben Seymour-Shove in space and his attempted lob over the advancing keeper only just cleared the crossbar.

St Ives continued to press forward and Karl Gibbs had the ball in the net ten minutes later only to be denied by an assistant’s flag.

Two minutes later and visitor’s keeper Andrew Wale dropped a long throw from Ollie Medwynter, but again Seymour-Shove was just over the top with his attempted lob from the loose ball.
The one way traffic continued and the next man to come close to scoring was an unexpected one as Jordan Lambert, who is still looking for his first St Ives goal, hit the angle of post and crossbar after another Ollie Medwynter throw had been flicked onto him at the far post.

It was only a matter of time and the equaliser finally came on 38 minutes and the impressive Sinclair was the man to get it. He ran at the visitors defence, played a one two with Gibbs before finishing coolly into the bottom right hand corner.

Two minutes later and excellent pressure by Seymour-Shove saw him rob a dallying James Ducket near the corner flag, unfortunately for the third time in the first half his attempted lob past the advancing keeper just cleared the crossbar.

St Ives possession and pressure deserved a second goal and it came on 41 minutes when Gibbs was pushed in the back as he was rising to a high ball into the box and Jon Stead made no mistake from the spot.
With a lot of substitutions rolling on and off the second half did not manage to live up to the first, but St Ives remained well on top and it was no surprise when Stuart Eason increased their lead on 71 minutes following good work by Seymour Shove.

Seymour-Shove again came close to the goal his overall performance deserved on 79 minutes when he got to a near post free kick first and his smart shot on the turn was well blocked by Wale.

Nigel Howlett

Next pre-season match at ProEdge, Westwood Road…
Saturday 26th July 3pm kick off v Histon FC