Result: St Ives Town 3 Beaconsfield SYCOB 1

Saturday 24th October 2015 –  Southern League Division 1 Central

St Ives Town 3 Beaconsfield SYCOB

Ives started their run of three tough fixtures in seven days with a win thanks to three well taken goals in an eighteen minute second half spell. All three goals came from excellent dead ball deliveries into the visitors box.

However it was the visiting Rams who started this game looking the more lively side with Ruri Demuria and Charlie Lossasso looking busy in midfield and the two wide men Omari Patrick and Tristan Campbell looking threatening.

Patrick got down the left flank twice in the opening ten minutes, but failed to pick out his fellow strikers with the crosses. Home keeper Tim Trebes was called into action for the first time on 18 minutes as he dived to tip a driven cross from Campbell off the head of Rams centre forward Ryan Debatista.

Trebes was again in action only one minute later as he had to spring to his right to claw away a deflected effort from Lossasso. The busy home keeper also did well to hang onto a shot on the turn from 20 yards by Debatista on 22 minutes. The chance had been created by a swift passing move down to left involving Patrick, overlapping full back Aaron Minhas and Lossasso.

Ives were struggling to get hold of the ball, but did create a couple of half chances around the 20 minute mark both from Joe Peacock crosses. Luke Knight headed over from fully fifteen yards and Jared Cunniff arriving late and stretching for the header could only steer the ball wide of the far post on 23 minutes.

With the visitors still enjoying the majority of possession Manager Ricky Marheineke made a bold tactical change to strengthen his central midfield on the half hour. As he sacrificed wide man Peacock and replaced him with the enigmatic Peter Clark.

However before the new formation could bed in Rams came close to going in front as on 32 minutes another move involving Lossasso and Patrick down the left ended with a driven cross from the latter that Campbell managed to get on the end of at the near post, but he directed his powerful effort from eight yards inches over the top.

The home side went straight down the other end and immediately showed their threat from dead ball situations as a free kick from fully forty yards by Jordan Jarrold was delivered to the penalty spot where Charlie De’ath met it with a powerful header that pulled out a flying save to tip the ball over the top from visiting keeper Brendan Hazlett.

The new formation was beginning to bed in now and Ives were seeing much more of the ball with Luke Knight, Clark and Cunniff winning the midfield battle against Memuria, Lossasso and Sam Deadfield. They went close again on 38 minutes as a long throw from Jarrold was headed out to Knight fully 30 yards from goal and he struck a powerful volley that Hazlett could only punch away. Cunniff picked up the loose ball and fed it into Danny Watson in space ten yards from goal. But Watson took a touch and was instantly closed down by two Rams defenders who blocked his shot.

Having come close to going in front Ives again came close to going behind only one minute later. Lossasso delivered a free kick into the box from the left that Trebes struggled to touch away from Debatista. The ball fell to Alex Murray eight yards out and he somehow side footed his effort past the post.

There was just time before the break for a flowing Ives move involving Watson, Clark and Draycott that finished with Draycott laying the ball in to Clark from the left and he cleverly laid the ball on to the late arriving Cunniff who was unlucky to see his powerful drive from twelve yards deflected away.

The good finish to the first half was carried on in excellent fashion by the Ives and it was no surprise when they went in front five minutes after the break. The home side picked up a free kick as Clark was brought down 30 yards from goal on the left. Cunniff delivered an excellent in-swinging free kick that beat everyone, including the keeper, at the near post and was on it’s way into the net before Stuart Eason’s header from one yard out made sure at the far post.

Ives continued to push forward and went two up fifteen minutes later, again from a free kick. Clark was again the man brought down by Murray 25 yards from goal on the right. Draycott lined up the free kick and surprised keeper Hazlett with a fierce strike that flew into the far corner in spite of the keeper getting a hand to it.

Three minutes later the rampant Ives made it 3-0, again from a Draycott free kick delivered from the right. This time it was Watson who got on the end of the in-swinging kick to deflect the ball home off the inside of the far post. Again Eason was on the spot to try to force the ball over the line, but this time it had crossed the line before the big striker got a touch.

The three goal lead was only short lived as the Rams went up the other end and pulled one back, again from a free kick. This one from 25 yards was fiercely struck by Campbell, but it was the big deflection off the end of the wall that beat Trebes more than the power of the strike.

This lifted the visitors and a slick passing move between Lossasso, Lee Togwell and Campbell saw the ball spread out to the overlapping Tom Grant his deep cross was just deflected away from Deadfield by a stretching Steve Gentle. But the ball fell to Patrick in the box and it took the combined effort of Gentle and De’ath to block his goal bound effort.

The Ives survived the remaining period of normal time without any further scares. But both sides had opportunities in added time. Two minutes into the added period a scramble in the Ives box saw the ball arrive at the feet of Rams substitute Aaron Berry, but captain courageous came to the rescue as Luke Knight bravely hurled himself across the line of the shot to block the ball away.

There was still time for Ives to create a golden opportunity on the break as Scott Sinclair fed the ball out of defence and with all of the Rams players pushing forward home substitute Ben Seymour-Shove found himself clear. He drew Hazlett to him and slid the ball past the advancing keeper, but the ball travelled agonisingly inches wide of the post.

This was an excellent three points gained with a good all round display against a classy team who looked very good in possession in the first period. Credit must go to manager Marheineke for his astute tactical change after only half an hour as this certainly swung the game Ives way.

Once again there were valid contenders for the man of the match award all over the pitch with everyone contributing to a good team victory. The sponsors selected Jared Cunniff for the award for another eye catching, all action, central midfield display. He was pushed closest by the ever reliable Phil Draycott, back to form skipper Luke Knight and the hard working Peter Clark.

Next up for the Ives is a trip to Ware on Tuesday night for another tough game against a team at the top end of the table.

Thank to Today’s Sponsor Jerry Wood (pictured with Ricky Marheineke)

Jerry Wood


Beaconsfield Line Up

St Ives team : Trebes, Sinclair, Jarrold, Death, Gentle, Knight (capt), Peacock (Clark 29), Cunniff (Higgs 80), Eason, Watson (Seymour-Shove 80), Draycott

Unused subs : Dusi, Simons

Goals : Eason 50, Draycott 65, Watson 68

Sponsors Man of the Match : Jarred Cunniff

Final Score : St Ives Town 3 Beaconsfield SYCOB 1

Attendance : 273