Result: St Ives Town 3 Aylesbury Utd 1

Saturday 8th November 2014 – Southern League – Div 1 CentralScottys-Little-Soldiers-Logo

St Ives Town 3 Aylesbury Utd 1

Attendance : 255

Man of the match: Charlie De’ath

Goals from Scott Sinclair, Ben Seymour-Shove and a Jack Higgs penalty sank the ten man Ducks in an entertaining game where the weather seemed much more suitable for the visitors.

The game started in an open fashion with the visitors posing the early threat. On only six minutes Jake Bewley found space on the left and cut into the box, fortunately his powerful drive was straight at home keeper Tim Trebes who held on well. Only one minute later Bewley turned creator as his threatening ball into the box was met on the volley six yards out by Jason Blackett who’s effort clipped the crossbar with a relieved Trebes looking on.

The home side created their first opportunity on 11 minutes as Stuart Eason flicked on Trebes’s long punt upfield. Seymour-Shove ran onto the flick and selflessly rolled the ball across the box to try and play in Kieran Fitzgerald, unfortunately the ball was just behind the debutant striker. But Fitzgerald managed to keep it alive and played a dangerous ball back into the box which Seymour-Shove got on the end of, but could only clip his near post effort just wide.

By this point the monsoon season seemed to have moved in and word was coming through of other local games being abandoned. But the Westwood Road pitch was holding up well and we were all being entertained by two committed teams who were both eager for a victory.

The Ives were now beginning to get on top and exerted a period of pressure. On 21 minutes Seymour-Shove played a deep ball into the box from the left and Eason rose highest at the far post, but could only direct his header straight at Jack Sillitoe in the visitor’s goal.

Three minutes later the roles were reversed as Eason laid in an excellent ball to Seymour-Shove who saw his first time effort from the edge of the box fly just wide of the keeper’s right hand post.

The lively Fitzgerald was proving a handful for the visitor’s defence and was linking up well with Eason and Seymour-Shove to provide a constant threat. He was involved in the opening goal on 31 minutes as he laid a well weighted ball to Seymour-Shove that let him get in behind full back Steve Hatch who brought him down as he entered the box. The referee was on hand to award the penalty and Higgs made no mistake sending keeper Sillitoe the wrong way with his well struck spot kick.

The Ives continued to push forward and look for a second and only two minutes later Higgs fired only just over from 20 yards after having been played into space by Josh Melling. The pressure continued and the visitors had another lucky escape on 37 minutes when a low, driven, Higgs corner flashed along the six yard line with no one able to get a touch.

Fitzgerald went close again in the next attack as he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box and carefully curled a low shot just past the far post with the unsighted Sillitoe struggling to make up ground.

As half time approached the Ives were looking comfortable, but they made the fatal mistake of switching off for a few seconds and were punished for it. Hatch took a quick throw in to Jack Wood near the half way line on 40 minutes. There looked to be very little danger, but Wood found time and space to look up and curl a precise ball around full back Melling to put Bewley clear and the Duck’s striker finished clinically past the advancing Trebes from the edge of the box to send the teams in level at half time.

The start of the second period was greeted by a brief period of sunshine, before the rain returned. During this period it was the visitors who did most of the pressing. On 48 minutes a foul by Melling on the dangerous Bewley on the edge of the box presented an opportunity for Stacey Field to test Trebes. The home custodian was equal to the effort and did well to tip over Field’s dipping free kick.

Five minutes later Ives were fortunate to remain level as an excellently timed last minute challenge by Luke Smith only just prevented Blackett getting a shot away from fifteen yards and Charlie Death bravely blocked Sean Owen’s close range attempt to rifle home the loose ball.

As the weather began to worsen again the Ives started to get back into the game. On 58 minutes it was keeper Sillitoe’s turn to have a lucky escape as he had to be smart off his line to beat Seymour-Shove to another Eason flick. He also had to be alert as he realised his momentum on the wet ground was going to take him out of the box with the ball in his hands. He dropped the ball just in time and Hatch was forced to bring down Fitzgerald to prevent him latching onto the loose ball. Higgs fired the resulting free kick just over the top.

Two minutes later more slick passing between Eason, Seymour-Shove and Fitzgerald resulted in the latter firing in a crisp shot from the edge of the box which was blocked for a corner. Three more corners followed in quick succession, but all came to nothing.

The open game was still flowing end to end and on 63 minutes Ives had another scare as Jesse Waites got away down the right and delivered a dangerous ball into the box which was headed just wide of the near post by Blackett from close range. This was followed almost immediately by another powerful effort from just inside the box by Field which Smith did well to block.

The Ives went back in front on 67 minutes as a flowing move involving Higgs and Fitzgerald put Eason clear, he cleverly clipped his shot past the advancing Sillitoe only to see it rebound off the post. But Sinclair was following up and was able to knock the ball over the line with his body from point blank range. This sparked wild celebrations on and off the pitch including an eye catching swan dive along the greasy turf by Eason that was good enough to convince those in the grandstand that his effort may have crossed the line. But those of us behind the goal knew the truth!.

The home side continued to push forward for a third goal to kill off the game and the next effort came from an unlikely source on 70 minutes as full back Jonny Hall surged forward and hit a rasping drive from fully 35 yards that was unfortunately straight at keeper Sillitoe.

However the game was far from over and the Ducks started to build up a head of steam and put the home side under pressure for most of the next 15 minutes. But the home defence, backed up by the fans, who were now in full voice, held firm to keep them at bay. The visitors came close to an equaliser twice in this period. On 72 minutes a well struck free kick by Field from 20 yards was expertly tipped over by a partially unsighted Trebes. The home keeper was again the saviour on 83 minutes as he produced a well timed leap across his goal to push away a fierce drive from substitute Joey Acheampong.

Much to the relief of the home fans, and management team, Seymour-Shove settled the game with a well taken goal from a quick breakaway involving Higgs and Sinclair on 87 minutes. Higgs played an excellent through ball to set Sinclair away down the right, his accurate low ball into the box picked out Seymour-Shove with time and space at the back post and he picked his spot low to the keeper’s right from 12 yards.

This finally took the fight out of the visitors, but there was still time for centre back Bill Morgan to earn himself an early bath for a second yellow card with an ill timed challenge on Higgs in central midfield.

The Ives managed to see out the remaining minutes without further fright to happily claim their third home victory in a row and move up the table. There were plenty of contenders for man of the match. A special mention must go to Josh Melling, James Peters and Kieran Fitzgerald all making their first starts for the Ives and each played a vital part in this victory. However the match sponsors made Charlie Death man of the match for his powerful centre back display alongside the equally impressive Luke Smith.
Nigel Howlett

St Ives team : Trebes (capt), Melling, Hall, Smith, Death, Peters, Sinclair, Higgs, Eason (Relizani 87), Fitzgerald, Seymour-Shove
Unused subs : Massey, Dean
Goals : Higgs 31 (pen), Sinclair 67, Seymour-Shove 87
Yellow cards : Melling 48, Peters 71
Man of the Match : Death
Final Score : St Ives Town 3 Aylesbury United 1
Attendance : 255


2014-11-08 STIFC Vs Aylesbury Utd Line Up









Next 1st team match Tue 11th November 7.45pm kick off HOME to Royston Town  (League Cup)

Next U18 match Tue 11th November 7.45pm kick off AWAY to Ramsey U18’s (League)


Thank you to our match day sponsor…


Aylesbury Utd - Celebration

 Aylesbury Utd



Source :



In Rememberance