Result: St Ives Town 2 Beaconsfield SYCOB 2

Saturday 16th August 2014 – Southern League – Div 1 Central

St Ives Town 2  Beaconsfield SYCOB 2

Match sponsor : Vic Moseley of VM Associates Ltd (Accountants)

Att: 155
Man of the match: Jimmy Dean

Skipper Will Fordham snatched a point for St Ives with a powerful header in the dying seconds of a game they should have had sewn up by half time, but had almost let slip with a lapse in concentration in the second period.

The first half was all one-way traffic Beaconsfield did not muster a single effort on goal and can thank their keeper Sam Bunting for still being in the game at half time.

He started his heroics as early as the second minute when he scrambled across his goal to finger tip John Stead’s free kick onto a post and the defence managed to hack the ball clear before David Cobb could get onto the rebound.

Only two minutes later and St Ives had a good shout for a penalty turned down by Referee Sam Lewis as Cobb was bundled over by Jordan Chandler as he ran into the box.

On 14 minutes Bunting was called in to action again this time turning away a Ben Seymour-Shove free kick at the far post after it had evaded everyone at the near post and looked like creeping in.

From the resulting corner Bunting saved the Rams again by blocking Karl Gibbs shot through a crowd of players with his legs after the ball had been headed down to him by Will Fordham.

On 19 minutes St Ives had their own escape from a penalty shout as a bouncing ball in the box hit Jamie Alsop on the arm. However the referee deemed it accidental and waved play on.

St Ives continued to push forward and on 26 minutes Seymour-Shove got on the end of a flowing move involving Scott Sinclair and Stead. But Bunting was again equal to the effort blocking his fierce drive. Sinclair fired the rebound over the bar.

The next chance came on 29 minutes as Ollie Medwynter’s cross was headed down by the far post by Fordham for Sinclair to fire over on the half volley from 8 yards. Two minutes later and it was Gibbs turn to be denied a goal as his curled shot from 20 yards looked like beating Bunting, but was headed away by Alex Murray.

On 36 minutes Fordham managed to get free in the box and met a Cobb corner at the far post, his header beat Bunting, but rebounded off the crossbar and was again scrambled clear by the hard pressed defence.

The final St Ives chance in the first half came on 43 minutes when Sinclair got free on the right and his dangerous cross in the box was headed over from 12 yards out by Gibbs.

Beaconsfield got in their first shot of the game on 49 minutes when a 25 yard free kick by Lee Togwell was blocked by the wall and Charlie Hill hit the follow up over the bar.

St Ives continued to look dangerous going forward and took a well deserved lead on 52 minutes as Gibbs finished from close range when he got on the end of Seymour- Shove’s low driven ball into the box. The goal came at the end of a fine flowing move with Jimmy Dean winning the ball in midfield and firing a cross field ball to Stead who played in Seymour-Shove down the left.

The game became more of a midfield struggle for the next 25 minutes with the Ives looking comfortable. But they made the mistake of switching off and the Rams turned the game on its head with two goals in three minutes.

The first came on 77 minutes as Ollie Jones was given too much space in the middle and he played in the dangerous Omari Patrick whose first time shot from 18 yards beat Barney McLaughlin on his near post.

Three minutes later and Aaron Berry managed to get free in the box and he was able to chip the ball over the advancing McLaughlin to give Beaconsfield and unexpected, and undeserved, lead.

The Ives were stung into action and immediately got a chance to equalise as keeper Bunting was panicked into picking the ball up after he had put it down by Will Muzuimbiri. Seymour-Shove fired his shot from the free kick just wide of the post.

Three minutes later and Sinclair fired a first time shot over from 8 yards after a Seymour-Shove cross found him unmarked at the far post. Beaconsfield were conceding a series of free kicks as they desperately tried to preserve their lead. Will Fordham came close as he drove one of these just wide from 20 yards.

As the game entered injury time a Sinclair header from 10 yards was well saved by Bunting, who thought he had won the points for his team. But the late, late, show from Fordham who was amazingly allowed a completely free header from Seymour-Shove’s corner ensured the Ives got a well deserved point with the last play of the game.

St Ives team :  McLaughlin, Medwynter, Alsop, Lambert, Fordham (capt), Dean, Sinclair, Stead, Gibbs (Eason 71), Cobb (Muzuimbiri(66), Seymour-Shove.

Unused subs : Smith, Hall, Bream

2014-08-16 H Beaconsfield Line Up










Goals : Gibbs 52, Fordham 90+4
Cautions : Alsop 48, Dean 65

Nigel Howlett


Next 1st team match Tues 19th August 7.45pm kick off HOME to Potters Bar Town (League)


Source :