Result: St Ives Town 1 Yaxley FC 0

Tuesday 14th July 2015 – Pre-Season Friendly

St Ives Town 1 Yaxley FC 0

This entertaining pre-season encounter at the St Ivo Outdoor Centre was settled by a single Declan Rogers strike on 64 minutes.

Manager Ricky Marheineke took the opportunity to give all of the fit players in his squad a good run out against their local rivals. In spite of their excellent win at Dereham Town on Saturday it was always going to take a while for the squad with so many new players in it to gel, so it was no surprise to see the visitors get into their stride first. They were enjoying the playing surface made slick by a shower of rain and were playing a quick passing style with ex Ives player Jon Stead prominent in their midfield.

The Cookoos should have taken the lead on 13 minutes as they went close three times in a single attack. A sharp save by Tim Trebes was followed by a double goal line clearance from Jordan Lambert to keep the game goalless.

The visitors continued to enjoy a lot of possession, but the hard working Ives kept their chances to a minimum and Trebes dealt fairly comfortably with everything that was thrown at him for the remainder of the first period.

The home side started to get into the game as the half drew to a conclusion and a cross field ball from Harry O’Malley set up a shooting chance for Phil Draycott at the far post. The visitors keeper got down smartly to his left to turn away Draycott’s effort. Danny Watson was unlucky to see his header from the resulting corner cleared off the line and a follow up shot from Luke Knight was also smartly tipped over.

Wholesale changes at half time saw the introduction of six new players for the Ives and they began to take over and run the game in midfield with young Jack Jefferson winning a lot of the ball and playing it to his eager running strikers.

Jefferson and Jack Warwick both went close to opening the scoring and it came as no surprise when Declan Rogers put the home side in front with a snap shot from 20 yards that nestled in the bottom left hand corner of the net giving the keeper no chance.

Ives continued to enjoy the lion’s share of possession for the remainder of the game and created, but failed to take a series of chances in the remaining 25 minutes. The closest they came to increasing their lead was on 73 minutes when Joe Peacock placed his shot from just inside the box past the keeper, but was denied by the upright.

Overall a solid performance and deserved win with the improved second half showing and a touch of class from Rogers proving the difference on the night..

Next Pre-Season Friendly Saturday 18th July 3pm Kick Off AWAY to Eynesbury Rovers