Result: St Ives Town 0 Histon 2

Saturday 26th July 2014 – Pre-Season Friendly

St Ives Town 0  Histon 2

Att: 184

Goals in each half from Nick Freeman and substitute Salim Relizani won an entertaining game for Histon that was played out in Caribbean sunshine at ProEdge Westwood Road on Saturday.
The game started slowly and it took until the 24th minute for the first shot on target and that was a tame free kick from 25 yards by Will Fordham that was easily gathered by ex St Ives keeper Enol Ordonez in the visitors goal.
Five minutes later and the Ives came close to opening the scoring when Ordonez had to be quick and brave to just beat Will Muzuimbiri to a low ball into the box by Ben Seymour-Shove.
Histon took the lead on 33 minutes with their first real chance of the game which was created and converted by Nick Freeman. He ran at the home defence and fired in a fierce low shot that Barney McLaughlin did well to beat away, but when the rebound was forced back into the box Freeman was first to react and gave McLaughlin no chance converting into the bottom left corner of the net from ten yards out.
Seven minutes later and good closing down by Muzuimbiri allowed him to beat Ordonez to a long through ball., the keeper followed him out towards the corner flag and had to foul the Zimbabwian to prevent him getting the ball into the box with the goal gaping.
The resulting Jon Stead free kick was won cleanly at the far post by Will Forham, but he was unable to keep his header down.
St Ives made two substitutions at half time and these two combined to come close to an equaliser only one minute into the second period. Max Roberts was put clear down the right after good work by Seymour-Shove and his cross was powerfully met by Karl Gibbs, but his header was acrobatically tipped over by Ordonez.
Fordham again won the resulting corner in the air, but his header flew over the crossbar.
Ordonez in the Histon goal had so far been their saviour, but on 50 minutes he almost gifted St Ives an equaliser when he dropped Seymour-Shove’s cross at the far post, but he just managed to react in time to flick the ball away before Gibbs could convert the chance.
St Ives were now well on top and a strong run down the right by Muzuimbiri set up another chance for Gibbs, but his curled effort from the edge of the box was again tipped over by Ordonez.
Fordham again won the resulting corner in the air, but this time could only direct his header back across goal and David Cobb fired tamely wide of the near post.
The visitors brought on their full compliment of substitutes just after the hour and this seemed to breathe new life into them.
Almost immediately McLaughlin had to make a sharp save from a Henry Randall free kick on the edge of the box. Only three minutes later and McLaughlin was again called into action to push away a fierce drive from Simon Unwin, Jimmy Dean was first to react and clear the danger.
On 66 minutes Histon full back O’Neal Rowe got forward into the box, went around David Cobb and steered in a shot that beat McLaughlin, but rebounded to safety off his right hand post.
St Ives were still looking dangerous on the break and in the 75th minute a snap shot from Seymour-Shove, after the ball was headed down to him in the box by Gibbs, was again well saved by Ordonez low to his right.
The heat began to tell on some of the St Ives players as the game entered the last fifteen minutes and Histon spent most of this period in possession with Peter Clark and Luis McCoy particularly influential.
On 76 minutes Jamie Alsop had to be alert to acrobatically clear the ball off the goal line after McCoy had been put clear and chipped the ball over the advancing McLaughlin.
Ten minutes later and Histon bagged their second to settle the game. An excellent ball from Clark set McCoy away on the right his low ball into the box was turned into the net at close range by Relizani.
Two minutes later and good work by Unwin and Clark set up Relizani for the final chance of the game, but his shot from the edge of the box was well tipped over by McLaughlin.

Nigel Howlett

Next pre-season match at ProEdge, Westwood Road…
Saturday 2nd August 3pm kick off v Newmarket Town