Match Report: St Ives Town 0 Barton Rovers 0

Tuesday 12th March 2014winter and co screen

The Calor League Division One (Central)

St Ives Town 0 Barton Rovers 0

Att: 111
Winter & Co Man of the Match: Will Fordham (St Ives Town)

“A game of one’s yet not even one goal”

by Simon Clark

In this eagerly awaited rematch from the earlier draw 2-2 in the season, 13th hosted 6th place Barton who, with a win, would have secured a 3rd place in the Division One Central Division. There was one penalty, one penalty save, one sending off and even one moment where the floodlights failed prior to kick off yet neither side could muster the one goal that would have no doubt secured all three points.

Barton came out the better of the two sides and gave the Saints an early shock when Ricky Case went close inside the first few minutes. Case went close again on 9 minutes seeing his left footed strike slide past Nick Bennion’s far post. Bennion was once again in fine form, following on from his man of the match performance against Slough Town on Saturday, when an accurate free kick from Kyle Lincoln met the head of Kim Forsythe and from only 6 yards out his bullet header was superbly tipped onto the cross bar and over. The resulting corner was met with a clear punch but Barton were looking dangerous from set pieces and deliveries into the penalty area.

Avelino Vieira went close on 12 minutes for the Saints but both sides were resorting to long range efforts. Luke Knight, for Barton, was yet another player to see their shot sail over the cross bar and Dan Banister’s effort was well saved on 43 minutes by Kyle Foster preventing the Saints from taking a lead into the half time break.

On 65 minutes, Bennion once again saved well from Jermain Hall and when Hall’s shot was destined to sneak in the near corner, Bennion’s out stretched foot saved the day. Bennion even managed to tip over a heavy back header from centre half; Dan Newman on 72 minutes proving that he was determined to keep a clean sheet. The Saints defence, with Will Fordham, Newman and Jordan Lambert all standing strong preventing Barton to the 3rd place spot.

It was on 88 minutes when Saints substitute Matty Waters was muscled to the ground by Barton skipper; Paul Andrews and the referee awarded a penalty and Andrews was cautioned for the offence. Will Fordham stepped up and saw his low strike well saved by Forster, Lee Ellison met the follow up but was also met with a confident save. The ball dropped to Fordham again but the Rovers defence cleared well on the goal line. Andrews was then sent from the field moments later for dissent.

In the 92nd minute, Dan Newman’s over head kick looked promising but flew wide of Forsters goal.