Result: Hanwell Town 1 St Ives Town 2

Saturday 15th November 2014 – Southern League – Div 1 Central

Hanwell Town 1 St Ives Town 2

Attendance : 124
Man of the match: Tim Trebes

A cracking start backed up by a solid all round performance and finished off with a resolute rear guard action for the last 25 minutes saw St Ives claim their first away win since 23rd August. The result was all the more impressive as it came against the second placed Geordies.

Ives started the game at a cracking pace and almost went in front after only 15 seconds as Jack Higgs fed in Ben Seymour-Shove and he fired his first time effort from just inside the box across the face of goal. The Ives came close again on two minutes as Seymour-Shove cleverly laid back a corner to Higgs just outside the box. Higgs crisp drive flew just wide of keeper Alex Tokarczyk’s right hand post.

The visitors kept pressing forward and only one minute later they went in front as Scott Sinclair cleverly floated a ball over the high line of the Hanwell defence that released Kieran Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald had time to get his head up and fired the ball across goal for Stuart Eason to slide it home at the far post.

The Ives pressure during this early period was incessant and after five minutes another Seymour-Shove corner was powerfully headed clear towards him. Rather than let it go out for a throw he skilfully brought the ball down and curled a precise ball to the near post where Eason rose highest, but flicked his header just over the top.

Hanwell were struggling to get any possession of the ball and were lucky to keep eleven players on the pitch when a frustrated Terry Smith slid in on Sinclair with his studs raised. The referee deemed the challenge only worthy of a yellow card. Higgs curled the resulting free kick from 25 yards around the wall and Tokarczyk did well to plunge to his left and push the ball away. The resulting Higgs corner was half cleared to Seymour-Shove on the edge of the box and he hit his fierce dipping volley only inches wide.

Ives created a lot of chances in the first fifteen minutes by slick passing moves and the mobility of their strike force. However on 17 minutes they proved that they could also go route one as Eason rose above the home defence to flick on a long punt from Tim Trebes. Fitzgerald outpaced the Geordies back line to latch onto the ball, but disappointingly fired over the top from an excellent position 15 yards from goal.

Up to this point the game had been entirely dominated by St Ives and they were well worth their one goal lead. The home side created their first chance of the game on 25 minutes as Connor Duffy threaded a precise ball into the channel that looked like it had set Smith clear, but Trebes was quickly off his line to bravely dive in at the striker’s feet to snuff out the danger.

Now the home side were beginning to get a little more possession it became clear how their strike partnership of Bill Healey and Lewis Putman have scored so many goals this season. On 28 minutes Lewis Ochoa found Healey in space 25 yards out, the Geordie’s marksman tried his luck, the shot took a slight deflection off Charlie Death and a mightily relieved Trebes was pleased to see it rebound to safety off his right hand upright.

Ives were still looking dangerous on the break and on 31 minutes the hard working James Peters won another tackle in midfield and fed the ball out to Seymour-Shove. He was giving full back Tom Kennedy a torrid time on the left hand side and went past him again and delivered a dangerous cross into the box that Tokarczyk just managed to claim at the second attempt to thwart the lurking Eason.

Putman and Healey showed their class and their understanding as a pair to manufacture the equaliser on 37 minutes. Putman got away down the left and fired a low ball into the box which was met perfectly by Healey at the near post. He opened his body and steered the ball in at the far post giving Trebes no chance from close range.

The final chance of the half on 42 minutes was an almost identical move as Ian Bywater knocked the ball wide to Putman and Healey again got across his marker at the near post, but this time steered his effort just past the post.

The home side had finished the first half well and their fans fully expected them to push on in the second period. They started brightly and a 25 yard snap shot from Healey only one minute in required Trebes to make a smart diving save low down to his right.

But just when the Geordies thought they were going to take control the Ives showed they were not going to lie down. Fitzgerald gained possession just outside the home box and took the opportunity to take on full back Kyle Watson on 53 minutes. Watson made the fatal mistake of going to ground in the box and got his legs tangled around Fitzgerald’s. The Ives striker went down and referee Tim Donnellan immediately pointed to the spot. Higgs made no mistake with the penalty sending keeper Tokarczyk the wrong way.

The Geordies reacted to this set back as expected and started to put the visitors defence under pressure creating two good chances around the hour. On 57 minutes Duffy flighted a long ball into the box that Putman did well to get on the end of, but he was always stretching to reach the ball and failed to direct his first time effort on target. Two minutes later a well weighted diagonal ball from Bywater just crept over Josh Melling’s head which allowed Smith to get clear down the left. He carried the ball to the by-line and laid it back to Putman who fired over from an excellent position ten yards out.

The Ives were still searching for a third goal to try and put the game to bed and on 63 minutes another Seymour-Shove corner was headed back to him. He picked out Higgs 25 yards out, unfortunately Higgs crisp drive flew just wide. The visitor’s final chance of the game came two minutes later when Fitzgerald again went past Watson and got to the by-line he drove in a dangerous cross which home skipper Michael Buckley did well to deflect away from the on-rushing Seymour-Shove.

The home side began to show why they are second in the table and why they have claimed so many points with goals in the last quarter of the game as they began to turn up the pressure on the visitors. But unlike some games this season the Ives showed their metal and a resilient all round display meant that the Geordie’s dynamic strike force were very limited in their opportunities and when they managed to find a way through the hard working midfield and solid back four they found keeper Trebes in excellent form.

On 75 minutes Putman managed to lay a ball off to substitute Eoin Casey in a crowded box and an unsighted Trebes did very well to block his effort from ten yards away for a corner. Putman rose highest to win the corner, but was unable to direct his header on target under pressure from Dan Crowie.

The Ives had an escape on 84 minutes as Buckley somehow found space to run from the halfway line to the edge of the box, but fortunately he finished like a defender and fired his shot wide of the far post from an excellent position. The home side, who had been trying to play a passing game throughout, were now beginning to show signs of desperation and started to resort to pumping long balls into the box. One of these from Watson on 87 minutes gave Ives their final scare of the day as Death’s headed clearance bounced off a Hanwell player and fell to Healey in the box, but Crowie bravely hurled himself in front the shot and the ball was scrambled clear.

As the game entered injury time we had a spate of handbags as the ball rolled off the pitch into the Ives dugout and, unsurprisingly, no one was keen to hand it back. After long consultation with his assistant the referee issued three yellow cards to the main offenders. One to unused Ives substitute Jordan Lambert, one to Buckley who was the main offender waving his hands around with Lambert. Keeper Tokarczyk picked up the most needless card of all having run fully 45 yards to get involved.
But perhaps Tokarczyk was just warming himself up as he spent most of the remaining three minutes of added time in the Ives box coming up for two corners and a free kick. He was perhaps lucky not to pick up a second yellow for a blatant foul on Trebes as one of the corners was being swung into the box. Trebes claimed the other two without trouble to ensure the Ives got over the line to claim the three points.

An excellent all round performance to claim a deserved away victory against a confident ball playing side. Each part of the team did its job today and it was such an all round team performance that picking a man of the match was almost impossible. Six different players got nominations from the fans, but the man who picked up most votes was Tim Trebes for a solid, confident display, with a couple of very important saves thrown in. Lets hope we can build on this excellent result and performance and start to climb up the table.

St Ives team : Trebes (capt), Melling, Hall, Death, Crowie, Peters, Sinclair (Smith 77), Higgs, Eason (Muzuimbiri 77), Fitzgerald (Relizani 89), Seymour-Shove
Unused subs : Lambert
Goals : Eason 3, Higgs 53 (pen)
Yellow cards : Trebes 84, Lambert 90+2
Man of the Match : Tim Trebes


2014-11-15 Hanwell Vs SITFC Line Up










Next 1st team match Sat 22nd November 3pm kick off HOME to Marlow (League)

Next U18 match Thu 20th November 7.45pm kick off HOME to Histon U18’s (League Cup)

Source :