Result: Eynesbury Rovers 0 St Ives Town 3

Saturday 18th July 2015 – Pre-Season Friendly

Eynesbury Rovers 0 St Ives Town 3


The Ives winning pre-season run continued on Saturday with a comfortable 3-0 win against a hard working Rovers on the lush turf of the Alfred Hall Memorial Ground.

The visitors with only three possibles missing from their potential first team line up started the game brightly and came close to going in front after only eight minutes as the all action Danny Watson got on the end of a driven cross by overlapping full back Pat Bexfield and was unlucky to see his glancing header drift just wide.

Six minutes later Watson again went close as he got in a more powerful header to a teasing cross from the left by Luke Knight. This time he just cleared home keeper Lee Jordan’s crossbar.

Watson was proving a real handful for the home defence and he found himself in the right place on 23 minutes when Ben Seymour-Shove’s low cross from the right was deflected back to him 15 yards out. He struck his first time effort well, but it was always rising and again cleared Jordan’s crossbar.

Eynesbury gained their first corner of the game on 25 minutes, but they were caught on the break from it. The low corner was well cleared first time at the near post by Bexfield. His clearance was expertly brought down on the half way line by Watson who fed the ball into Jack Higgs in space. Higgs strode forward and fired in an unstoppable shot from fully 30 yards that billowed the net before Jordan could move.

The home side reacted well and created their first chance only one minute later with a ball floated in from the right by Jacob Tose that cleared everyone and found Ben Colmer in space at the far post. But his first time effort from 15 yards flew well wide.

Rovers almost created an equaliser out of nothing nine minutes later as Shane Fox found space in midfield and spotted Tim Trebes off his line. He tried his luck from 40 yards, and a fast retreating Trebes was grateful to block the effort near the penalty spot.

The visitors were still enjoying the majority of possession and a slick passing move on 37 minutes finished with Knight playing the ball into Stuart Eason’s feet on the edge of the box. Eason expertly turned his marker, but dragged his shot just wide.

After all of their possession and quick passing, the Ives increased their lead on 43 minutes with a well taken route one goal. Jordan Jarrold won the ball in the left back slot and played a long ball down the park, Eason rose majestically to flick it on and the elusive Watson ran onto the flick. He cut inside to lose his marker on the edge of the box and coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Jordan.

With a comfortable 2-0 lead the visitors began to make changes early in the second half which broke up their pattern of play a little and allowed the home side to get back into the game and create a few chances. The first of these came on 52 minutes when Tose got away on the right and delivered a low driven cross that Lee Bassett met well at the near post, but Trebes was alert and plunged to his left to make a reaction save and push the ball onto the post.

The next chance came in almost identical fashion on 63 minutes this time Bassett outpaced Steven Gentle on the right and drove in a low cross that Ryan Inskip met at the near post, but he mishit his close range effort and a relieved Trebes smothered the ball.

The visitors were still looking sharp on the break and a flowing move two minutes later saw Danny Watson lay the ball into Chae Simons who teed it up for Ben Seymour-Shove on the edge of the box, but his first time effort was straight at Jordan.

The roll on, roll off substitutes continued to flow and the game became a little more disjointed. Each side was still trying hard to grab another goal and Fox went close for the home side on 72 minutes as he controlled well on the edge of the box and managed to engineer a smart turn and shot that only just cleared Trebes crossbar.

The home side again went close with six minutes left as a deep corner from Inskip found centre back Tom Coles in space beyond the far post, but he failed to trouble Trebes with his powerful header that flew over the top.

However as the game entered the last five minutes the Ives began to exert their superiority again. On 87 minutes Simons went close as he chased down a long punt from Trebes and rounded Coles, but a last ditch covering tackle by Chris Stereki blocked his goal bound effort.

Three minutes later Seymour-Shove saw an opportunity to run at the home defence as he picked up the ball on the left hand side and sprinted into the box. This time Stereki did not time his tackle as well and brought down the flying winger just as he was about to shoot. Referee Hardie who was right on the spot had no hesitation in awarding the inevitable penalty.

Man of the match Jack Higgs made no mistake from the spot sending keeper Jordan the wrong way to grab his second and seal the Ives win.

There was still time for Jarrold to set Seymour-Shove away down the left again in added time, but the young winger snatched at his shot and fired his first time effort wide.

Overall another good win for the Ives and the team is beginning to gell with the new players fitting in nicely and some good passing football on view. The winning run will get a tough test next Saturday with the “visit” of our new ground share partners Cambridge City to the Pro-Edge stadium for our first home game of the season.