Result: Daventry Town 5 St Ives Town 1

Saturday 5th April 2014 – The Calor League Division One (Central)The Calor League Logo 200x100

Daventry Town 5 St Ives Town 1

Att: 159
Man of the Match: Jason King (St Ives Town)

A spirited but also depleted Saints side could only muster a single consolation goal by Jon Stead as they fell by five goals to the Champions elect at Communications Park.

After two disappointing midweek results against Royston Town and Kettering Town, the Saints started brighly this afternoon looking to put the proverbial spanner in the works for their ex UCL opponents but a confident Daventry side took control from the outset. It was on 10 minutes when Ryan Howell latched onto a loose ball direct from a corner and Howell made no mistake from close range. JP Duncliffe had an excellent chance to bring the scores level 6 minutes later but his bursting run through the Purple defence and effort from 6 yards was met by the trailing hand of Richard Morris in the Daventry goal. Luke Keen’s turn and shot almost doubled the home sides advantage on 19 minutes but his effort rose over the Barney McLaughlin’s cross bar. On the half hour mark, a wayward pass from Dan Newman was kindly received by Keen who made no mistake from outside the box, making it 2-0.

The Saints best effort of the first half fell to Jon Stead as his 30 yard free kick skimmed the angle where the corss bar meets Morris’ near post. Ross Oulton rattled McLaughlin’s cross bar on 51 minutes and 7 minutes later McLaughlin saved well, at point blank range, from Ryan Howell. Further wayward chances fell to both sides and the game was well and truly put to bed on 69 minutes when the ball rebounded to Adam Confue who composed himself and struck a neat over head kick into the roof of the net. With the Saints trailing 3-0 and with only 10 minutes to go, Jon Stead gave the Saints a life line when he tapped home from close range making it 3-1 after some excellent build up play by Tom Meechan.

The last ten minutes typifies a side who have played 4 games in 8 days and with tired legs Daventry took advantage by adding two further goals by substitute Scott Cross.