Result: Beaconsfield SYCOB 0 St Ives Town 1

Saturday 21st February 2015 – Southern League – Div 1 Central

Beaconsfield SYCOB 0 St Ives Town 1

Attendance : 98
Man of the match: Charlie De’Ath

A penalty save by Tim Trebes, a single goal by Dan Banister on the hour and an excellent all round defensive performance saw the Ives claim all three points against a tough Rams side battling to stay above the drop zone.

The home side started positively and went close in only the second minute as Victor Osobu put Chris Henry away down the left and Elliot Carey got on the end of Henry’s flighted cross at the far post, but failed to hit the target with his header under pressure from Jonny Hall.

Both sides were struggling to string passes together in these early stages and it took until 21st minute for the next decent effort at goal to come along. Osobu was again involved as he picked up a ball in midfield and ran at the visitors defence before unleashing a powerful drive from 25 yards that Jordan Lambert bravely blocked.

Ives created their first opportunity two minutes later as Ben Seymour-Shove found some room on the left and curled in the perfect cross to pick out Stuart Eason in space at the far post. Eason placed his firm header past the rooted home keeper Brendan Hazlett, but also the wrong side of the post and was somewhat relieved to see an assistant’s flag save his blushes.

This was the start of a good period for the visitors that saw a Seymour-Shove flick to a near post corner blocked just in front of the goal line by Mark Jamison and a powerful drive from a narrow angle by James Hall held at the second attempt by Hazlett.

As the half wore on the Rams again began to get the upper hand and created two excellent chances to go in front. On 40 minutes home skipper Lee Togwell won the ball in midfield and threaded through a perfected weighted pass to set Aaaron Berry clear through the left hand channel. Berry carefully placed his shot past the advancing Trebes, but also just past the far post.

The home side should have gone one up two minutes later as the dangerous Henry, who had been switched from left to right, took on and beat Jonny Hall and ran into the box. Hall made a desperate lunge to try and regain possession, but only succeeded in bringing down the tricky winger. Referee Stuart Cheek was on hand to point to the spot. Osobu confidently spotted up the ball, but his penalty lacked power and Trebes dived to his right to block. The ball ran loose to Berry who looked like he must score, but he snatched at the chance and blazed his effort from ten yards well wide.

Having survived this scare Ives went down the other end and created a chance of their own in the final minute of the first period as Seymour-Shove took on Jameson at pace and was brought down by a clumsy challenge from the full back. The resulting free kick was swung in low by Seymour-Shove to James Hall at the near post, Hall sucked in the defenders and managed to turn to lay the ball on to Eason on the six yard line. But keeper Hazlett was alert and bravely plunged in to block the shot at close range.

Having had the last chance of the first half Eason also had the first opportunity in the second period as he and Dan Banister took on the centre of the home defence. The move finishing with Banister teeing up Eason 20 yards out, but the Ives striker side footed his effort straight into the grateful arms of Hazlett. The Rams broke straight down the other end from Hazlett’s quick throw out and Henry found space to cut in from the left and try his luck from 25 yards, but the effort was always rising and did not trouble Trebes.

The only goal of the game arrived on 59 minutes and came from a short corner as Seymour-Shove laid the ball back to Banister in space and he carefully picked his spot with a curled effort from a wide position that just crept over the outstretched fingers of keeper Hazlett and nestled in the net.

It could have been 2-0 two minutes later as Eason found space on the right and laid a ball into the middle that Banister dummied to allow it to run on to James Hall at the far post. But Hall was quickly closed down and could only fire his effort straight at the keeper.

Desperate to get back into the game, the Rams made three substitutions in quick succession. But the enigmatic Henry still looked their most dangerous player. He tricked his way past Scott Sinclair and Harry O’Malley on 65 minutes and drove in a head high cross that Jonny Hall did well to deflect away from Carey at the far post.

Beaconsfield were enjoying a lot of possession, but the very hard working Ives side were restricting their efforts to long range and when they did try to get the ball into the danger zone centre backs Lambert and Charlie Death were winning all of the headers and putting their bodies on the line to block the shots.

When they did manage to get hold of the ball the visitors were looking dangerous on the break and on 74 minutes Seymour-Shove got away down the left and got all the way to the goal line before pulling the ball back for James Hall who saw his goal bound effort blocked away for a corner. Death got on the end of the resulting flag kick, but could not keep his header down.

The Rams continued to push forward and managed to spend most of the last ten minutes camped in the Ives half. They won themselves a series of corners and free kicks, but the hard working visitors continued to deal with all of the balls pumped into the box with Trebes confidently claiming anything not headed away by his defenders.

On 80 minutes another dangerous cross from Henry was headed away by Death at full stretch, the ball fell to Osobu 20 yards out, but Lambert was on hand to fling himself in front the powerful drive. Six minutes later Osobu again went close as he got his head to a near post corner, but Trebes was on hand to tip his well directed header over the top. Osobu also had the final chance of the game on 86 minutes as he curled a 25 yard free kick over the wall, but straight into the hands of the well positioned Trebes.

Ives continued to work like Trojans to deny the Rams any time and space anywhere on the park with James Hall working prodigiously as a lone striker constantly harrying the home defenders and everyone doing their job to ensure that Beaconsfield were unable to get another strike on goal in the remaining minutes.

Again it was hard to find a man of the match with a number of nominations from the fans and difficult to single out one player in such an excellent all round team performance. But today’s award goes to an unsung hero who had an excellent game alongside his skipper in the heart of the defence and hardly put a foot wrong, Charlie Death.
Nigel Howlett
2015-02-21 Beaconsfield SYCOB Vs SITFC Line Up









St Ives team : Trebes, Jonny Hall, Lambert (capt.), De’Ath, O’Malley, Banister (Moyes 88), Peters, Sinclair, Seymour-Shove (Smith 88), James Hall, Eason (Knight 61)
Unused subs : None

Goals : Banister (59)
Yellow card : None
Red Card : None
Man of the Match : Charlie De’Ath
Final Score :  Beaconsfield SYCOB 0 St Ives Town 1
Attendance  :  98

Next 1st team match Tue 24th February 7.45pm kick off AWAY to Barton Rovers (League)
Next U18 match Tue 24th February 7.45pm kick off AWAY to Godmanchester Rovers (League)

Source :