Result: Aylesbury United 2 St Ives Town 4

Wednesday 7th October 2015 –  Southern League Division One Central

Aylesbury United 2 St Ives Town 4

The handful of Ives fans that made the long trek to the ASM stadium were rewarded with a first half display of flowing total football from their heroes as they totally blew away the managerless hosts.

The visitors took an early lead in the sixth minute with a route one goal. A long Tim Trebes punt down the middle was misjudged by George Tomlin. The ball glanced off his head straight into the path of Ben Seymour-Shove who took the ball in his stride and gleefully hammered it past hesitant home custodian Dan Green to claim his first goal of the season.

Only four minutes later Peter Clark threaded a ball wide to put Seymour-Shove away again and he curled in a teasing cross that covering defender John Mulholland was forced to head over his own crossbar under pressure from Stuart Eason.

The home side’s relief was very short lived as a well rehearsed Ives corner routine worked to perfection with Phil Draycott’s in-swinging flag kick clearing the pack of players on the near post and deceiving keeper Green to drop at the feet of Danny Watson at the far post. Watson gratefully accepted the chance and side-footed home from two yards to put the visitors two up.

At this stage it was simply wave after wave of one way traffic as the confidence flowed through the Ives players and their thrusting attacks were cutting the Ducks defence to ribbons.

It should have been three on 17 minutes as a flowing move involving Luke Knight, Clark and Draycott ended with the latter threading an inch perfect pass to Seymour-Shove he floated in an inviting cross that picked out the unmarked Eason at the far post. Rather than go for goal the big striker headed the ball back across goal to try and pick out Watson, but he was crowded out by Aylesbury defenders.

Once again the Ducks relief was short lived as the clearance was picked up by Knight who fed the ball in to Draycott on the left corner of the box. Draycott found space to turn and attack the defence and as he entered the box he was unceremoniously upended by a clumsy tackle from Mulholland. Referee Sam Lewis was right on the spot and had no hesitation in blowing up for the spot kick. With Jack Higgs missing from the line up the responsibility from the spot fell to Watson and he made no mistake with a firm finish that sent Green the wrong way.

Trebes in the visitor’s goal had been untroubled up to this point. But on 24 minutes he decided to create himself some trouble of his own as he allowed Eoin Casey to close him down on a back pass. He skilfully sidestepped the Ducks striker, but then mishit his clearance straight to Greg Williams. Williams took a touch and tried his luck from all of forty yards. Fortunately he hit the ball straight at Trebes who had the presence of mind to head the ball away as he was still yards outside his box.

Normal service was resumed after this little scare and only four minutes later the Ives made it 4-0 with another flowing move. Clark, who was enjoying himself in the centre of midfield, again picked out Seymour-Shove on the right. He floated up another inviting ball into the box that Eason looked favourite to win, but he got a call from Draycott who was in acres of space at the far post. Eason ducked and immediately took two Ducks defenders out of the equation. Draycott brought the ball down and fired home past the exposed home keeper from ten yards.

The Aylesbury players were already digging at each other and this forth goal saw a stand up row erupt involving a number of their players that ended with a rant, and rallying call to his colleagues, from the smallest player on the pitch, Lee Grace.

This frank exchange of views did seem to lift some of the home players and they did enjoy a brief period of possession and even created a couple of half chances. On 30 minutes Grace clipped in a ball from the right that Ash Farmer knocked down and Greg Williams volleyed over from just outside the box. Grace and Farmer were involved again in almost identical fashion ten minutes later, this time the ball was teed up for Jordon Frederick who fired wide from a similar position.

The half ended with the Ives again on the offensive as Watson twice came close to completing his hat trick. In the final minute of the half he got on the end of a teasing cross from the left by Jordan Jarrold, but the angle was to narrow and Mulholland managed to hack away his header down into the goalmouth. Two minutes into added time he was just beaten to a curling ball into the box from Eason, by home skipper Jack Wood.

Half time saw the small gathering of Ives fans speculating on how many it might be, whilst the home faithful were just asking us to be merciful. As it turned out they got their wish as the visitors found it hard to motivate themselves for the second period with the game already won. Draycott limped off at half time and his replacement at the break was a well know face to the Ives faithful as Jared Cunniff made a welcome return from his time in Australia.

The first twenty minutes of the second half were a comfortable period for the Ives as the Ducks enjoyed a period of possession without really creating anything of note. The first good chance of the half came on 65 minutes and Clark should really have made it 5-0 as Seymour-Shove now operating down the left curled in another cross that caused panic in the home defence and Wood only succeeded in teeing the ball up for Clark in space on the edge of the box. He picked his spot and side footed the ball inches wide of Green’s left hand post with the keeper well beaten.

The next effort on goal two minutes later was vintage Scott Sinclair as the flying winger playing his first full ninety minutes of the season in an unfamiliar full back roll grabbed a chance to rampage forward, jinked past two defenders and fired in an effort from 20 yards that just cleared the crossbar.

The home side grabbed a lifeline with 20 minutes to go as a deep cross by full back Bewley was headed back across goal by Wood and Frederick ghosted between static defenders to head home from close range.

This lifted the Ducks and with the Ives struggling to get their flowing football going again they grabbed a second eight minutes later as Taylor Collins played in Bewley down the left and his raking cross was met powerfully by Casey eight yards out to give Trebes no chance.

This really motivated the home side and with their ever hopeful fans singing “we are going to win 5-4” they pushed forward. But Ives re-grouped and Trebes did well under pressure to gather a couple of dangerous crosses into the box. When he did fail to cling on to one under severe pressure, Clark was on hand to hack the ball clear. Trebes also managed keep out the Ducks best opportunity as Grace played in Casey through the right channel, but the Ives custodian was smartly off his line to block the shot from ten yards.

With time running out and all of the Aylesbury side pushing forward it was no surprise that Ives should get a break as a long ball out of defence picked out Watson on the right. His ball across the box picked out Seymour-Shove who looked like he must score, but Green pulled off his best save of the night to block the close range effort.

The visitors were pleased to run down the clock for the remaining few minutes and happy to claim another well deserved three points on the road. When they play as they did in the first thirty minutes it will be hard for any team to live with them!. Danny Watson claimed the man of the match award for his pace and movement during that purple patch and his all out effort to hold up the ball to relieve the pressure in the latter period.

Aylesbury United Line Up

St Ives team : Trebes, Sinclair, Jarrold, O’Malley, Gentle, Knight (capt), Seymour-Shove, Clark, Eason (Simons 56), Watson, Draycott (Cunniff 45)

Unused subs : Warwick

Goals : Seymour-Shove 6, Watson 11, 18 (pen), Draycott 28

Supporters Man of the Match : Danny Watson

Final Score : Aylesbury United 2 St Ives Town 4

Attendance : 103