Result: Aylesbury 8 St Ives Town 1

Saturday 27th September 2014 – Southern League – Div 1 Central

Aylesbury 8 St Ives Town 1

Attendance : 139
Man of the match: Jordan Lambert

For the second season in a row the Ives came to Aylesbury and simply did not perform. This was a truly abysmal display as the visitors completely capitulated in the second half to go down to their worst defeat in living memory. They were second best all over the park and were completely buried by the rampant Moles.

The early stages of the game gave little indication of what was to follow as the Ives had their fair share of possession and only good covering tackles by the home defenders prevented Salim Relizani, Jack Higgs and Jon Stead all getting a shot away in and around the box in the first fifteen minutes.

A needless foul by Ollie Medwynter on Brian Haule 30 yards from goal lead to the Moles taking the lead on 17 minutes. Aston Goss swung in the free kick and Haule was able to rise unchallenged ten yards out to steer his header into the bottom corner of the net.

One minute later a foul by Jeanmal Prospor on Ryan Ingrey in an identical position at the other end gave the visitors an immediate chance to equalise. Ben Seymour-Shove swung in the free kick and Ingrey got ahead of his marker to power in a free header from the penalty spot, unfortunately he got to much on the ball and it few harmlessly over the bar.

At this stage the very open game was flowing from end to end and the next chance fell to the home side again from a dead ball situation as Charlie Death brought down Lynton Goss on the edge of the box to earn himself a yellow card. This time Goss’s free kick just cleared the crossbar.

Two minutes later and the sleeping Ives were almost undone by a quick free kick which saw the ball threaded through to Lynton Goss who fired wide from a good position just inside the box.

The Ives were still looking dangerous going forward and on 23 minutes a deep free kick was headed back into the danger zone by Relizani, but home skipper Ben Stevens just managed to head clear ahead of the onrushing Seymour-Shove.

One minute later and an excellent ball from Relizani set Stead away down the right he feinted to go inside, then went outside his full back and fired in an excellent cross, but none of the strikers had reacted quickly enough to get on the end of it as it flashed harmlessly across goal.

The next chance fell to the home side on 26 minutes as the elusive Gareth Price got clear on the right and drove a dangerous ball into the box that eluded everyone, but was kept alive by Aston Goss, he fed the ball back into Lynton Goss who laid back the prefect ball for Sonny French who snatched at his shot and fired over from the edge of the box.

The Moles were now looking dangerous every time they went forward and only one minute later Price played the ball into the box where Lynton Goss hit it first time from 15 yards and Death did well to bravely block his fierce drive.

Play swung to the other end again where Seymour-Shove was able to hold off the defenders and lay the ball back to Jonny Hall. Home keeper James Warrington had to be quick off his line to bravely smother his low cross just ahead of Ingrey.

On 31 minutes the Moles went 2-0 ahead as the influential French again won the ball in midfield and was allowed time and space to roam forward and he threaded an inch perfect pass inside full back Hall for Price to run onto and he drove the ball into the bottom corner from just inside the box giving visiting keeper Barney McLaughlin no chance.

The game continued to flow from end to end for the remaining 14 minutes of the half with Lynton Goss and French both going close for the home side and Jimmy Dean heading over from a good position for the visitors.
At half time the more pessimistic of the visiting fans were remembering last years heavy defeat at this ground and hoping it could not be that bad again. The optimists amongst us were thinking that we could still get back into the game. None of us expected the debacle that we witnessed!.

Hope sprung eternal only ten seconds into the second period as Stead swung a long cross into the box from the right and Seymour-Shove brought the ball down to get in one on one with the keeper. However an eagle eyed assistant ruled that the young Ives striker had used his arm to bring the ball down.

This promising start did not last long as after coming close to getting back in the game Ives soon found themselves completely out of it as two goals in two minutes by the home side settled the issue. On 51 minutes a corner on the right by Conner Baker was headed back into a crowded box where substitute Bradley Wadkins found space to fire in a shot from close range that was hacked away by an Ives defender, but the officials ruled that the ball had crossed the line. Two minutes later a through ball from Price played in French , McLaughlin was quick off his line to beat the striker to the ball, but was unable to hold onto it and Lynton Goss following up rolled the ball into the empty net.

St Ives netted an unexpected consolation on 56 minutes as Jordan Lambert found himself completely unmarked at the far post as a Higgs corner found it’s way to him and he kept his cool to side foot home his first goal for the Club after 3 ½ years and over 150 games. Normally a time for big celebrations, but not today!.

Unfortunately this did not spark a revival from the visitors and only five minutes later the home side scored again as Aston Goss was given time and space to turn and run at the visitors defence, he fed the ball in to Lynton Goss who’s first time shot was parried into the air by McLaughlin, but Price was following up to head home his second of the day.

On 66 minutes the rampant Moles went 6-1 in front as French and Wadkins combined to pass their way through the static visitors defence with the latter being allowed a free run into the box to fire the ball past the despairing McLaughlin into the far corner.

It was all one way traffic now and McLaughlin had to dive smartly to his left five minutes later to hold onto a deflected shot from 25 yards by Lynton Goss. On 77 minutes a deep cross into the box by Prospor was only half cleared by Death and French tried his luck with a spectacular volley from 25 yards that flew well over the top.

The home side’s man of the match, French finally got the goal his overall display deserved on 81 minutes as he was allowed to gather the ball in midfield and run at the visitors defence again. He tried his luck from 25 yards and his mishit shot bobbled over McLaughlin’s outstretched arm and nestled in the bottom corner.

To add insult to injury for the visitors the frustration began to show and substitute Stuart Eason managed to pick up two needless yellow cards in seven minutes to take them down to ten men.

The final embarrassment came in injury time as Aston Goss went round Lambert and laid the ball into Wadkins who completed his hat trick from close range to complete the rout and take the Moles up to second place in the table.

The embarrassed Ives players and management team all apologised to their loyal followers after the game. They must quickly pick themselves up after this second heavy defeat on the road. A good week on the training pitch is essential and the management team must find the magic formula to get the players back into the right frame of mind for two vital winnable games at home in the following week.

St Ives team : McLaughlin, Medwynter, Hall, Death, Lambert, Dean (capt) (Eason 50), Stead (Joseph 61), Higgs, Ingrey, Relizani (Bream 66), Seymour-Shove.
Unused subs : Smith, ​
Goals : Lambert 56
Yellow cards : Death (19), Dean (43), Bream (74)
Red Card : Eason (88) (two yellow cards)
Man of the Match : Lambert
Final Score : Aylesbury 8 St Ives Town 1
Attendance : 139

Nigel Howlett

2014-09-27 Aylesbury Vs SITFC












Next U18 match Thu 2nd October  7.45pm HOME to Biggleswasde U18 (League)

Next 1st team match Sat 4th October 3pm kick off HOME to Chalfont St Peter (League)

Source :