Match Report – St Ives Town 1 Tiverton Town 2

Match report

St Ives Town 1 Tiverton Town 2

Evo-Stik League South Premier Division – 07/10/17

A gallant battling performance by ten man Ives who were very unlucky to get nothing from this game as they looked the more likely winner throughout in spite of having goalkeeper James Goff dismissed for denying a goal scoring opportunity in only the twelfth minute.

The incident that the game hinged on occurred as Goff came racing outside his box to try and head away a ball over the top. Unfortunately he just beaten to the high bouncing ball by Tivvy centre forward Jordan Rogers. Rogers brave header bounced just wide of the post. But the momentum of both players took them on into a sickening clash of heads as Goff arriving a split second to late put his head into the face of Rogers.

The two players both went down in a heap with both physios hurriedly summoned. A twelve minute delay followed during which Goff recovered sufficiently to see the red card brandished in his direction. The unfortunate Rogers was carried from the field on a stretcher and onward to hospital with serious facial injuries.

Rogers was replaced by Owen Howe, but with no keeper on the bench Ives had to put midfielder Lewis Hilliard between the sticks. The resulting free kick from inside the D came to nothing as Levi Landricombe’s effort hit the wall and bounced on into the grateful hands of Hilliard.

Prior to the incident Ives had started well and gone close to taking an early lead as Hilliard had picked out Peter Clark with a perfectly weighted ball from deep in his own half. Clark had cleverly laid the ball inside into the run of Ben Seymour-Shove who was unlucky to see his effort from just inside the box stopped by the keeper’s legs. Tom McGowan was following up, but the ball would not come down for him and he spooned his effort from twelve yards well over the top.

Tivvy had also had an attempt at goal two minutes later as Tom Gardner got on the end of a free kick from the right by Nick Hurst. But under pressure from debutant centre back Andrew Iwediuno he could not keep his effort down.

In spite of going down to ten men Ives continued to press forward at every opportunity and were stretching the visitors back line with the pace and mobility of their front players. It was no surprise when they went in front three minutes after play resumed (26 minutes from the first whistle). James Hall found space on the left and delivered a teasing cross to the back post where Seymour-Shove belied his stature to get above Callum Hall and ram home his header from eight yards.

Having fallen behind against ten men Tivvy manager Martyn Rogers made a quick decision to sacrifice one of his defenders and go three at the back replacing Gardner with Liam Gregory. But even with the extra man the visitors were struggling to find a way through the well organised Ives formation and Hilliard did not have a shot to save in the following twenty minutes. However the visitors did manage to work a way through in the 45th minute as Scott Rogers slid a ball through the centre and Howe managed to hold off Brett Longden before prodding home past stand in keeper Hilliard from close range.

To their credit Ives did not falter and still continued to create chances. Only one minute later Seymour-Shove got outside Nick Hurst before hanging up a cross from the left that Danny Kelly got on the end of at the back post. But unfortunately he steered his header wide under pressure from Ben Mammola.

Ives continued to belie their numerical disadvantage as they continued to hold steady at the back in the early stages of the second period and break dangerously at every opportunity. Clark picked out Hall on the left in 48th minute and Seymour-Shove was only just beaten to his low cross by Tivvy captain Jamie Price at the near post.

Seymour-Shove was constant threat and he went close again only sixty seconds later as McGowan fed him on the right and he turned back onto his left foot before delivering an in-swinging cross which beat everyone in the centre, bounced on the six yard line and flashed just past the far post with keeper Martin Rice looking on.

The Tivvy manager was encouraging his players to hurl long balls into the box to try and test out Hilliard in the air. But the Ives back line well marshalled by skipper Charlie De’ath dealt well with most of these. Mike Landricombe did manage to get on the end of one long ball in 56th minute, but his downward header bounced up nicely into the hands of Hilliard.

In spite of the numbers Ives even managed to create periods of sustained pressure and went close twice in two minutes just after the hour. Firstly McGowan battled his way through the centre before laying the ball off to Kelly just outside the box. The defence opened up for the big striker, but he struggled to get the ball out of his feet and only succeeded in pulling a tame shot wide. Two minutes later Hall picked up a Seymour-Shove cross knocked out to him on the right hand corner of the box. He found time to take a touch before curling his left foot effort just wide of the far post.

Tivvy’s long ball tactic almost brought reward in 65th minute as Iwediuno and Hilliard got in each others way in trying to deal with a ball over the top. Hilliard’s attempted clearance only reached Howe 35 yards from goal. Howe took on the opportunity first time, but only succeeded in curling his effort well wide with Hilliard desperately trying to make up his ground.

Ives best chance to grab a winner came in 69th minute as Longden bravely won a header deep in Tivvy territory. The ball fell to the feet of Kelly who deftly played it on into the run of Seymour-Shove on the left. For the umpteenth time in the game he delivered another dangerous cross. This one was deflected back to Kelly in space twelve yards out. But he snatched at the chance and fired the bouncing ball well over the top.

The hosts were holding out well as Tivvy seemed bereft of ideas on how to break down the stubborn ten men and it was beginning to look like this all round increased effort and regained solidity was going to earn a deserved reward. But as has been the case so often this season the luck seems to desert them when it matters. The visitor’s found a way through nine minutes from time as Landricombe played a ball into the run of Howe in the left channel and the Tivvy striker muscled his way into the box before placing a low shot past the static Hilliard to claim an undeserved winner.

There was still time for Ives to carve out one more opportunity to get something from the game as Kelly was brought down on the edge of the box by Mammola. The big striker picked himself up and took the kick himself and although he beat the five man wall his effort lacked power and proved a comfortable save for Rice.

Yet again this was a hard defeat to take as the ten men fought so gallantly and thoroughly deserved to get something from the game. Andrew Iwediuno fitted in well and provided a more rigid look to the Ives back line and he will get better as he gets fully match fit. The effort level increased exponentially and the level of effort shown by all today will win reward. Ben Seymour-Shove personified the non stop effort shown and deservedly won the behind the goal club’s man of the match vote. He was pushed very close by Tom McGowan, Peter Clark and James Hall. But everyone deserves a mention for coming up to the plate when required. Now we just need the results to follow that extra commitment.

Final Score : St Ives Town  1  Tiverton Town  2

Goals : Seymour-Shove 26

Supporters man of the match : Ben Seymour-Shove

St Ives team : Goff, Smith, Longden, McGowan, De’ath (capt), Iwediuno (Wright 88), Hilliard, Clark, Kelly, Hall, Seymour-Shove (Jarrold 80)

Unused substitutes : Short, Nicholls

Attendance  :  251

Report by Nigel Howlett