League: The FA Cup

St Ives Town v FC Halifax Town

St Ives Town v FC Halifax Town

Emirates FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round  15-10-2022

On an afternoon when their historic cup run came to an end Ives can still hold their heads high as their barnstorming second half display came so close to earning them reward against their National League visitors. Sadly the hosts had shown their higher level opponents a little to much respect in the opening twenty minutes. 

All of the early pressure came from the Shaymen. Home keeper James Goff pulled off a smart save low to his left to keep out a Tylor Golden volley in seventh minute and Kian Spence failed to hit the target after being played in by Rob Harker four minutes later. The inevitable looking opener came in 15th minute as Jamie Cooke exchanged passes with Harvey Gilmour to get through the centre of Ives back line and give the visitors a deserved lead. They came close to increasing that lead midway through the first half as Gilmour ran at the defence before laying the ball off to Spence who flashed a drive inches wide of Goff’s left hand post from twenty yards.

Slowly but surely Ives were beginning to work their way into the game with midfield pairing of Myles Cowling and Michael Richens biting in to win a few tackles and lift the big home crowd. Their hosts first attempt on goal came just after the half hour as Jonny Edwards took in Johnny Herd’s cross from the left and found enough space inside the box to turn and get a shot away that visiting keeper Sam Johnson saved low to his right. 

The latter stages of the first half saw Ives getting well on top with the all action Cowling again at the heart of the action. In 43rd minute he robbed Gilmour deep inside his own half and fed in Edwards whose shot struck the outstretched arm of Festus Arthur inside the D. Williams lined up the free kick but fired well over the top. But the hosts kept the pressure on and they went close twice in added time. They had a massive shout for penalty turned down as Greg Kaziboni’s in-swinging corner appeared to strike the arm of Arthur on the goal line. The ball bounced around the box and Enoch Andoh chipped it over the keeper but the strong breeze carried it onto the crossbar the rebound just evading Edwards.

Going so close to an equaliser lifted Ives belief to a whole new level and they tore into the Shaymen straight from the start of the second period. An early Kaziboni corner to the back post was won in the air by Andoh and his header back into the centre flicked off Edwards forcing Arthur to again get the ball off the goal line, this time legally.

The Ives front three of Kaziboni, Edwards and Andoh were stretching the visitors defence without quite finding a way through, and when they thought they had, they found keeper Johnston in unbeatable form. The keeper was forced into a good save to his right in 53rd minute as Andoh fed Edwards who managed to turn Jesse Debrah inside the box and get a shot away that Johnson was forced to palm away diving to his right. The pressure from the hosts continued and a 55th minute scramble in the Shaymen’s box saw a shot from Edwards and a follow up header from Kaziboni bravely blocked by desperate defenders.  

Man of the match Cowling was running the show in the centre of the park and his powerful run through the centre in 65th minute set up a chance for Andoh who struck the ball perfectly from 20 yards. The crowd were rising to cheer an equaliser when the fingertips of the flying Johnson did just enough to deflect the goal bound effort around the post.

By this stage in the game anyone coming into the ground not knowing the respective levels of these two teams in the football pyramid could have been forgiven for thinking that Ives were the higher ranked team as they were the ones moving the ball around on the deck whilst their opponents were by now resorting to long ball tactics to simply relieve the pressure around their box. This change of style for the visitors was made more obvious as they replaced the smaller Harker with the towering Mani Dieseruvwe as their lone striker. 

Ives continued to press their opponents but as the half wore on the effort levels that they had put in began to show as the part timers began to run out of steam a bit. With only six minutes left on the watch manager Ricky Marheineke was lining up a double substitution to bring on some fresh legs and further add to the front three in search of what would have been a deserved equaliser. But with strikers Nabil Shariff and Ethan Johnston waiting on the side line disaster struck for the tiring hosts. A mix up between Callum Milne and keeper Goff allowed Shaymen substitute Angelo Cappello to nip between them and fire the ball into the empty net to effectively kill the tie. 

Seconds later the two strikers came into the fray replacing the tiring Andoh and skipper Richens who had picked up a knock but it was to late for any gallant heroics to pull anything from the fire and to rub salt into Ives wounds Dieseruvwe did what he is no doubt very good at getting on the end of Golden’s corner to power home a header from close range deep in added time.

All of those in the 820 crowd, both regulars and the more casual supporters knew that Ives had given it their all and on another day they could so easily have got something from this game. The loud applause as the players left the field certainly showed that we are all proud of their efforts in this record breaking run. We wish the Shaymen all the best in the next round but for Ives it is time to turn our attention back to league action and a run of home games now gives us chance to force our way back into the top six  

Final Score: St Ives Town  0   FC Halifax Town  3 



HALIFAX: Cooke 15, Cappello 84, Dieseruvwe 90+2

Team Line Ups:

ST IVES: Goff, Lewis, Herd, Richens (capt) (Shariff 85), J. Williams, Milne, Kaziboni (Baker 58), Cowling, Edwards, D. Williams, Andoh (Johnston 85), Unused subs: Sandiford, Sheriff, Hottor, Saka

HALIFAX: Johnson, Golden, Senior (capt), Debrah, Arthur, Hunter, Spence, Gilmour (Cappello 59), Harker (Dieseruvwe 63), Slew, Cooke, Unused subs: Scott, Summerfield, Alli, Minihan, Stott

Cards: Yellow: ST IVES:  D. Williams (38)     HALIFAX: Senior (36), Spence (71)


Attendance: 820

Match report by Nigel Howlett. Post match interview by Andrew Dunn. Video by Ollie Jones. Photos by Louise Thompson.

Match Sponsor David Smith of St Ives – Man of the Match
Myles Cowling


St Ives Town v Chasetown

St Ives Town v Chasetown

Emirates FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round  01-10-2022

Ives made history on Saturday as their 3 – 1 victory at quattro-tech Westwood Road over Chasetown saw the club through to the fourth qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup for the first time in the club’s 135 year history. Just one game away from a potential tie with the likes of Cambridge United, Peterborough United, or once mighty Portsmouth, or Derby County. Their opponents may have been from one level lower but they had a much better cup pedigree having played Cardiff City in the Third Round proper 15 years ago.

The hosts got off to the perfect start as leading scorer Jonny Edwards converted Myles Cowling’s low cross to put them in front inside the first twenty seconds in a move down the right which also involved Dylan Williams and Greg Kaziboni. With Kaziboni on the right and Enoch Andoh operating on the left Ives had a real threat down both flanks and it was Andoh’s turn to get involved six minutes later as he fed inside to Williams whose 20 yarder was well held to his right by keeper Curtis Pond. 

The visiting Scholars were not going to lie down and with Kris Taylor and Jack Langston to the fore they slowly worked their way back into the game winning a succession of corners and from the sixth of these they found an equaliser in 18th minute. Joey Butlin found some space at the near post to power home Taylor’s in-swinger from the left.

The visitors continued to press for most of the remainder of the first half but Ives back line well marshalled by Jordan Williams held firm to ensure that the Scholars were limited to only half chances. Keeper James Goff was smartly off his line to prevent Mitch Botfield getting clear onto a Butlin through ball in 21st minute and Callum Milne did just enough to deflect another Butlin header wide twelve minutes later.

Ives were unable to create much threat during this period and their only real opportunity was again carved out by the speed and trickery of Andoh. In the 22nd minute the winger outpaced Oli Hayward to get to the bye line and serve up an inviting cross to the back post where Edwards was lurking waiting to power it home but the desperately stretching Taylor just managed to get the faintest of touches which was just enough to prevent Edwards getting a clean header and the ball flew harmlessly wide.

So honours even and all to play for at the break, or was a trip to Staffordshire on Tuesday evening destined to be the outcome?. We were all greeted by an unexpected shower of rain at the start of the second period but it did not dampen Ives enthusiasm and just like the first half they started like a train. Man of the match Andoh continued to torment Hayward as he took on and beat the full back at every opportunity. He got to the bye line again four minutes after the restart and clipped a cross into the centre that Pond looked certain to claim but the big keeper let the ball slip through his fingers and it bobbled around the Scholars box eventually falling to Williams on the edge the midfielder was unlucky to see his curling effort clip the crossbar and go over. But only seconds later the hosts were back in front and it was a deserved goal for Andoh. The goal kick was knocked back up the park setting Edwards for a run through the centre and having drawn in the defenders he unselfishly slipped the ball to the fast arriving Andoh who beat the exposed Pond emphatically from just inside the box.

The goal sparked a period of pressure from the hosts as they went for a third goal to kill the game. Moments after the goal Andoh was involved again with Williams putting him away past Hayward again. This time he drove in a low cross through the goalmouth that was almost forced home by the sliding Edwards at the back post.

Ives went even closer to the, all important, third goal in 58th minute. An in-swinging Dylan Williams corner from the right was cleanly met by Milne at the back post and his header back into the mix was won by Andoh who directed his header goalwards, but it lacked power allowing Hayward to get up and head the ball off the goal line.

Unlike in the first half, the anticipated response from the visitors did not really materialise as Ives continued to work hard to frustrate their opponents. The closet that the visitors came to restoring parity was fifteen minutes from time as the hosts struggled to clear the ball from their box. It eventually fell to Butlin 25 yards out and his curling effort beat Goff but was inches to high just clipping the crossbar on its way over the top.

Michael Richens was perhaps a little fortunate to avoid picking up a card in an incident that lead to both managers receiving cautions in 80th minute. The Ives skipper clattered into Mitchell Clarke right in front of the visitor’s dugout. With both players lying prone on the deck excellent referee Emily Heaslip immediately stopped play to summon medical assistance. As both physios sprinted on the two benches exchanged angry words and a mini confrontation followed forcing the official to select both managers for punishment in the absence of any other obvious candidates.

Edwards and Andoh continued to combine well and cause their opponents more problems. In 85th minute a direct run deep in Scholars territory from Andoh ended with him feeding in Edwards through the centre and it took an excellent covering tackle from Ryan Wynter to snuff out the threat.

After the long stoppage for treatment of Richens and Clarke a nervy five, or six, added minutes were anticipated. But Johnny Herd ensured that there was no need for nail biting in added time as he roamed forward down the left, exchanged passes with substitute Ed Hottor and fired low past keeper Pond with the outside of his left boot from just outside the box just as the watch ticked past the ninety minute mark. Wild celebrations followed and these were repeated six minutes later when referee Heaslip blew the final whistle.

Little St Ives are in the hat for 4th Qualifying Round draw on Monday where they will be joined by the likes of Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County and a whole host of other ex football league clubs.    

Final Score: St Ives Town   3  Chasetown  1  


ST IVES: Edwards 1, Andoh 50, Herd 90+1

CHASETOWN: Butlin 18,

Team Line Ups:

ST IVES: Goff, Lewis, Herd, Richens (capt), J. Williams, Milne, Kaziboni (Baker 70), Cowling, Edwards, D. Williams (Hottor 75), Andoh (Sheriff 90), Unused subs: Sandiford, Shariff, Johnston

CHASETOWN: Pond, Hayward, Evans, Taylor, Wynter, Clarke (Mansell 82), Botfield (Letford 78), Langston (Lund 70), Butlin, O’Callaghan (capt), Yates, Unused subs: Melbourne, Unwin, Reid, Edmunds

Cards: Yellow: ST IVES:  none    CHASETOWN: Wynter (57), Botfield (66)


Attendance: 417

Report by Nigel Howlett. Video by Dave Hook & Ollie Jones. Photos by Louise Thompson.


Canvey Island v St Ives Town

Canvey Island v St Ives Town

Emirates FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round  17-09-2022

A very well planned and perfectly executed away win saw Ives through to match their best ever FA Cup run. The previous time that they have reached the third qualifying round being a memorable trip to York City in 2018/19 season.

The early pressure came from the hosts and it took an excellent diving save from keeper James Goff to prevent the visitors falling behind in ninth minute. The dangerous Evans Kouassi ran at the Ives defence drawing in covering players before feeding in Danny Parish in space just inside the box. Goff had to hurl himself low to his left to turn the striker’s well placed effort around the post.

But the hosts were caught out by Ives first real attack in 14th minute. Enoch Andoh robbed Luca Albon inside his own half and fed in Jonny Edwards. The big centre forward’s left foot effort seemed to lack power but it was heading for the bottom corner, keeper Bobby Mason dived low to his left and got a hand to the ball but only succeeded in serving it up on a plate for the fast arriving Myles Cowling who gleefully slammed the loose ball home to claim his first goal for the club. 

Now the tide had turned and suddenly Ives were swarming all over their hosts like bees around a honey pot. Andoh was again to the fore in 21st minute as he danced across the face of the hosts box past three defenders before teeing up Ed Hottor for a ferocious drive from 25 yards that stung the hands of keeper Mason as he palmed it away.

Ives second arrived four minutes later as Nabil Shariff cleverly took down a dropping ball on the edge of the Gulls box and fed in the run of Cowling, as the youngster burst into the box he was clipped by Mason Hall. Excellent referee Oliver Morris-Sanders had a perfect view and instantly pointed to the spot. Edwards sent keeper Mason the wrong way to claim his eighth goal of the season.

The tricky Kouassi seemed to have licence to roam and was still causing problems for Ives defence, in 42nd minute he turned up on the left where he managed to turn inside Kane Lewis before delivering a teasing ball to the back post where Parish under pressure from Jordan Williams could only steer his header inches wide of the post.

The goal that killed the game in favour of the visitors arrived at the end of a flowing move right on half time. Shariff did brilliantly down the right before delivering a deep cross beyond the far post. The unmarked Edwards unselfishly fed the ball back into the centre where a clever back flick from Andoh picked out skipper Dylan Williams inside the six yard box and he made no mistake.

There was still time before the break for keeper Goff to pull off the save of the day diving full length to his right to deflect a powerful drive from 20 yards from Albon over the top. That save denied the Gulls the opportunity to get the wind in their sails and ensured that the second half had little to write home about as Ives cleverly managed the game with Goff only having to make one more routine save.

Gulls manager Brad Wellmen made two changes at half time throwing on big centre forward Bradley Sach and left back Tobi Tinubu to replace Salmon and Odei Martin-Sorondo respectively. The hosts also changed to a more direct style of play but that generally played into Ives hands as Callum Milne and Jordan Williams rose to the challenge to win their battles with Sach. The chances that the Gulls did manage to carve out generally came via the boots of the tricky Kouassi as he continued to switch between flanks, but all to often he created the opportunity to cross then failed to find his man with the delivery. In 54th minute he was played in down the left by Elliott Ronto before turning back onto his right foot and delivering a cross to the back post which was inches to high for two of his team mates waiting there.

The same player carved out a similar opportunity with almost exactly the same result in 63rd minute. This time he managed to dispossess Lewis before trying to pick out the fast arriving Parish with his cross. It was closer to the mark as the Gulls number seven got a touch, but he was stretching and could not direct his header goalwards. 

Goff’s only second half save came five minutes later as Ives players were almost caught out as they appealed for a foul on Cowling. Referee Morris-Sanders waved play on allowing Sach to burst into the box. He got his effort on target but it was straight at Goff who held on well.

As the game wore on the hosts came to understand that it was not going to be their day and there were already home fans departing as early as fifteen minutes before the end. They were perhaps wary of ensuring that they got through the set of five way temporary traffic lights outside the ground ahead of the bulk of the 382 crowd departing.

The early leavers missed Ives creating but not taking any of three good opportunities to put icing on their cake in the closing stages. In 79th minute Hottor put Tyrone Baker clear and the Ives substitute got taken down by Mason as he tried to round the keeper just outside the box. The man in green only received a yellow card thanks to the efforts of Reiss Chandler to get around and cover behind him.

Shariff did all the hard work to earn himself a 90th minute chance as he harried and robbed Gulls skipper Rob Girdlestone before trying to lob the out of position Mason and getting it just to high. The final opportunity of the day, and best chance to add a fourth came in the third added minute with returning skipper Michael Riches bursting down the centre and threading the ball inside the full back for Baker to run onto. The wide man went for goal from a narrow angle but only found the side netting with Shariff waiting for a tap in on the edge of the six yard box.

The referee’s whistle sounded a few seconds later to conclude a very satisfactory away day. We await our fate in the third qualifying round draw which has been deferred a day and is now at 1.00pm on Tuesday 20th September.

On a day when all involved played their part in this victory Ives travelling contingent selected keeper James Goff as their man of the match for his acrobatic and vitally important save just before the break. 

Final Score: Canvey Island  0  St Ives Town  3   



ST IVES: Cowling 14, Edwards 26 (pen), D. Williams 45

Team Line Ups:

CANVEY: Mason, Chandler, Martin-Sorondo (Tinubu 46), Salmon (Sach 46), Hall, Girdlestone (capt), Parish, Hubble, Albon, Ronto (Paxman 73), Kouassi, Unused subs: Firmin, Jackson

ST IVES: Goff, Lewis, Herd, Cowling (Sheriff 89), J. Williams, Milne, Andoh, Hottor, Edwards (Baker 61), D. Williams (capt) (Richens 59), Shariff, Unused subs: Osei-Bonsu, Chingoka, Johnston, Kaziboni

Cards: Yellow: CANVEY:   Hubble (57), Mason (79)     ST IVES:  Baker (70), Lewis (85)


Attendance: 382

Match report by Nigel Howlett. Video by Ollie Jones & Dave Hook


St Ives Town v Barking

St Ives Town v Barking

Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round  03-09-2022

The Ives have struggled in recent years against lower level opposition but any potential banana skin was avoided in the quattro tech Westwood Road sunshine as a thoroughly professional performance from the in-form hosts ensured that they progressed comfortably in the Emirates FA Cup at the expense of Essex Senior League Barking. 

The hosts enjoyed all of the early possession but it took a little while for them to get their noses in front with both Greg Kaziboni and Jonny Edwards going close before hat trick hero Nabil Shariff fired home the opener in 25th minute. The opportunity arose as skipper for the day Dylan Williams danced into the box from the left. The ball was taken off his toe by a defender but Shariff was on hand to pounce on it before spinning on a sixpence and firing low past the right hand of the diving Dev Singh Bhamra in the visitors goal.

Ives were showing a good degree of patience passing the ball around well and trying to draw out the visitor’s defence. The earlier opportunities were both well worked after slow build up was quickly turned into threat. In seventh minute Kaziboni who usually patrols the right side of Ives attack found a bit of space during a raid on the left. He took the chance to step inside and fired a rasping drive a couple of feet wide from 20 yards. Kaziboni was also involved in the second chance as he fed in the overlapping Callum Milne down the right. His hanging cross to the back post picked out the unmarked Edwards but was just millimetres too high and the stretching centre forward could only direct his header over the top.

Then came Shariff’s opener and only three minutes later it took sharp goalkeeping from Bhamra to stop Kaziboni getting a deserved goal. The keeper was quickly off his line and slid in bravely to take the ball off the striker’s toe after he had been fed in by Shariff.

The visitors enjoyed a spell where they did create a couple of half chances around the half hour mark but an excellent defensive header by Jordan Williams prevented Kenedi Dariri steering home an Elijah Worrell free kick and a brave block by Julien Saka ensured that Alessandro Wisdom’s powerful effort from just outside the box was deflected wide.

With half time approaching Ives lifted themselves again in search of a second. Dylan Williams glanced a header wide from a Kaziboni cross only seconds before Shariff doubled the lead with a powerful header from by the penalty spot right on the break. Kaziboni was again the provider as he outpaced Louis Dillon down the right before serving up the inviting cross that Shariff steered into the bottom corner.

The same pair combined to kill the game six minutes after the re-start as Kaziboni powered past the struggling Dillon again to get to the bye line before picking out Shariff on the six yard line. His first effort was blocked but he made no mistake from the follow up firing home left footed to complete his second hat trick of the season.

From that point Ives controlled the game well moving the ball around smoothly on the excellent quattro tech Westwood Road surface. To give them their due the visitor’s heads did not go down and they continued to battle and created a few half chances of their own as Ives took their foot off the gas. 

In 53rd minute Sa-Sean Lutumba and George Okoye combined well to work a shooting opportunity for Wisdom but Saka was again on hand to execute his second brave block of the game. Home keeper James Goff had to make his first routine save of the afternoon just after the hour as he comfortably held Okoye’s 25 yarder. Lutumba and Okoye seemed to be the main threat from the visitors and they combined again to get into Ives box in 68th minute. The move ending with Okoye firing high and wide from a narrow angle.

Goff was called upon to make his only real save of the game fifteen minutes from time. Blues substitute Timothy Monsheju received a ball inside from Dillon just outside Ives box. A clever side step and a well struck right foot drive was heading for the bottom corner but Goff was alert to the danger plunging full length low to his right to grasp the ball.

That scare and the introduction of substitutes with something to prove lifted the hosts again and they once more moved up through the gears to take complete control of the remainder of the game. Tyrone Baker now operating on the left was taking every opportunity to run at the tiring Blues defence. In the 78th minute his probing run allowed him to draw out defenders and feed in Shariff one on one with the keeper but Bhamra did well making a good save low to his right to keep the ball out. That resulted in three corners in quick succession for Ives. Jordan Williams got the ball in the net from the third of those but the “goal” was struck off as Enoch Andoh was rightly deemed to be interfering with play in an offside position as he jumped over the ball just in front of the keeper.

Keeper Bhamra was very busy in these closing stages and three minutes later he did very well to stretch out his right hand diving full length to just tip a low cross from the right by Andoh away from the waiting boot of Shariff. A more routine save followed seconds later as he comfortably held a 25 yard rising drive from Baker.

The final substitute used by Ives was Ethan Johnston and he opened his account for the season with almost his first touch of the game. Andoh was causing havoc down the right and he sprinted past the struggling Remi Nelson to get to the bye line before serving the ball on a plate to the fast arriving Johnston who accepted the gift and slammed home from six yards to complete a very satisfactory day for the Ives.

For the first time in three years Ives supporters will be eagerly listening out for the 2nd Qualifying Round draw on Monday lunch time, lets hope for another home tie.

Final Score: St Ives Town  4  Barking  0   


ST IVES: Shariff 25, 45 & 51, Johnston 86


Team Line Ups:

ST IVES: Goff, Sheriff, Saka, Cowling, J. Williams, Milne, Kaziboni (Andoh 76), Hottor, Edwards (Baker 68), D. Williams (capt), Shariff (Johnston 83), Unused subs: Osei-Bonsu

BARKING: Bhamra, Folan, Lutumba, Dillon, Dickens, Worrell (capt) (Monsheju 65), Dariri, Shaban (Ogunrinde 19), Okoye, Wisdom (Fairhead 76), Unused subs: Baker, O’Brien, Age

Cards: Yellow: ST IVES:  Sheriff (48)    BARKING: none


Attendance: 201

Report by Nigel Howlett. Video by Dave Hook.


Needham Market v St Ives Town

Needham Market v St Ives Town  

Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round  04-09-2021

For the second season in a row Ives timidly tumbled out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle to a team from Suffolk. Last season the minnows from Brantham took their heads this time it was their regular league rivals Needham Market that grabbed the only goal of the game eight minutes after half time.

No one was really expecting an old fashioned blood and guts cup tie from two teams that had played out a tight draw in a league fixture at the same venue less than three weeks ago. With that in mind this game did not surprise anyone as clear cut chances were very few and far between with defences dominating throughout. 

The goal that settled it came from an error by Ives goalkeeper Paul White who failed to hold onto a low driven cross shot from the left by Marketmen’s left back Callum Sturgess presenting an opportunity for his opposite full back Kyle Hammond to slam home from close range.

The afternoon started with a bit of good news for Ives supporters as Brett Solkhon had recovered from his knock picked up against Stratford the previous Saturday and took his place in the centre of defence also reclaiming the captain’s armband. Powerful midfielder Nathan Hicks also made his first start of the season having recovered from his hamstring injury picked up in pre-season. Unfortunately exciting winger Luke Fairlamb had not recovered sufficiently from his knock to make the squad.

As has seemed to be the way in recent games Ives started slowly seemingly inviting their hosts to come onto them. Sure enough the Marketmen seized the early initiative with their first effort on goal arriving in 5th minute with Hammond setting a trend for the afternoon by getting down the right. His low pass into the box was teed up well by Will Hunt but Noah Collard’s first time effort from the edge of the box was deflected wide for the first of the home sides eight corners in the first half.

The host’s next foray into Ives box came in 12th minute Byron Lawrence delivered a deep hanging cross beyond the far post Ben Fowkes rose unchallenged and found Hunt with his header into the mix but the centre forward failed to hit the target from a good position.

Six minutes later Luke Ingram probably should have put the home side ahead as Fowkes and Hunt combined down the left with the latter picking out Ingram in space twelve yards out but the Marketmen’s number seven slammed his first time effort inches over the top.

To tell you how one way the game had been to this point Ives first real threat arrived in 20th minute when patient build up play eventually ended with Ben Seymour-Shove almost threading a ball into the box to pick out the well timed run of Dylan Williams but Sturgess was alert to the danger and slid in to just cut out the threat.

The game continued as a cagy cat and mouse affair with only one slightly noteworthy effort from each side before the break. In 31st minute Fowkes tried to emulate the goal that he had scored in the earlier league fixture by cutting inside from the right and attempting a curler from 25 yards that this time just went over the top. Ives first shot in 43rd minute was created by substitute Camron McWilliams who had only been on the field a few minutes having replaced the injured Eniola Agemoh-Davies. McWilliams cut inside from the right beating two men before teeing up Williams for a shot from just outside the D that can only be described as high and wide.

So the game reached the half time interval without either keeper being called upon to make a save. All of that changed in the first few minutes after the re-start. Home keeper Marcus Garnham was first into action with less than 30 seconds on the watch. Williams picked up a ball just outside the box and side steeped to create just enough space to curl and effort around his marker that was heading for the bottom corner but the big stopper was equal to it plunging full length to his left to palm the ball away.

Ives carved out a second on target effort in 52nd minute as Nabil Shariff and Seymour-Shove combined to feed in McWilliams on the right. The angle was very narrow but the young full back went for goal forcing Garnham to tip the ball over the top.

Having started the second period so well and looking like they were getting on top Ives had the wind taken out of their sails only ninety seconds later as the ball was played to the other end where Sturgess found space on the left to fire in his powerful low cross shot that White spilled presenting the opportunity for Hammond to gleefully hammer home what proved to be the winner.

Since his introduction McWilliams probing runs were looking like the most likely route for Ives to find a way through the Marketmen’s otherwise solid back line. In 58th minute he almost managed to put Shariff clean through as he went past two defenders before releasing the slide rule pass that looked like it had done the job but home skipper Daniel Morphew stuck out a long leg to take the ball of the strikers toe.

Having struggled so hard to find a way through for the first hour of the game the visitors suddenly found themselves presented with a gift. Centre back Josh Pollard woefully under hit an attempted back pass and Hicks burst clear onto the loose ball. With only Garnham to beat the midfielder decided to take the shot on early but struck his twenty yarder straight at the keeper who blocked the effort. Seymour-Shove was following up and looked likely to force home the loose ball but Pollard had kept running and just did enough to slide in a deflect the shot away from goal and make recompense for his error seconds earlier.

That proved to be Ives best opportunity to get level and the pace of the game dropped off again after the chance had come and gone. The next attempt on goal came from the hosts in 74th minute. Ed Hottor brought down substitute Tariq Issa 25 yards from goal. Ives five man wall did its job to block Issa’s initial free kick, the rebound fell to Lawrence who unleashed a low screamer that White was relieved to see deflect wide of his right hand upright off Fowkes.

Ives still kept looking for the elusive equaliser and they went close in 86th minute as substitute Michael Harding cleverly stepped over a ball in from Hottor. Shariff was on to it and looked to be clean through but he failed to get his shot away first time and was quickly surrounded by defenders. He did eventually manage to get a shot on target but it was a tame one straight into the arms of the grateful Garnham.

There was one final opportunity for the visitors to take their hosts back for a Tuesday night replay at Westwood Road in the last minute of the ninety as substitute Ryan Robbins ran at the heart of the Marketmen’s back four and was taken down inches outside the box. Referee George Laflin played an excellent advantage as the ball ran on to Liam Cross but the young winger fired over from a good position.

The final goalmouth action of this pretty tame encounter saw White pull off the save of the day as Hammond’s cross to the back post fell to substitute Tom Maycock who rattled in a powerful half volley that White reacted brilliantly to turn away at point blank range.

Overall a disappointing afternoon as the dream of an FA Cup run with all of its associated revenue streams and excitement ends for another year. It only remains to wish the Marketmen every success in the next round.

Final Score : Needham Market  1  St Ives Town  0      

Goals : 




NEEDHAM MARKET: Garnham, Hammond, Sturgess, Lawrence, Pollard, D. Morphew (capt), Ingram, Collard, Hunt (De La Paz 67), Page (Issa 72), Fowkes (Maycock 79).  Unused subs: Fennell, Dye, Elsden

ST IVES: White, Agemoh-Davies (McWilliams 39), Flanagan, Hottor, Solkhon (capt), Milne, Cross, Seymour-Shove (Robbins 79), Shariff, Williams, Hicks (Harding 73)  Unused subs : Heath, Toseland, Snelus 

Ives Supporters man of the match : Brett Solkhon

Attendance : 161

Report by Nigel Howlett


Brantham Athletic v St Ives Town

Brantham Athletic v St Ives Town 

Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round – 22-09-20

Everyone hopes to avoid that banana skin of going out to the FA Cup against a lower level side in the early rounds of the FA Cup but sadly the Ives stepped square on it for the second season in a row. The story of the game was that a slow start saw them fall behind in only seventh minute and then in spite of enjoying long spells of possession they were unable to break down a rugged and resilient Blue Imps back line and when they did find routes through either woeful finishing or good goalkeeping from home stopper Andrew Plummer kept them at bay.

Manager Ricky Marheineke made one change to the starting eleven from Saturday’s successful opening day team with Ed Hottor returning from suspension in place of Michael Gyasi who dropped to the bench.

After a quiet opening few minutes the hosts stunned Ives by going in front in their first attack of the night. Patrick Brothers got away down the left and picked out Matt Hayden in the centre. The striker still had a lot to do but he showed a good touch to get the ball under control before slamming in a low right foot effort that beat Martin Conway low to his right and went in off the upright.

Ives slow start continued and it was not until 16th minute that the registered their first shot of the evening a 25 yarder from Hottor after he had been teed up by Dylan Williams. Sadly it proved more dangerous to roosting birds high in the tree to the right of Plummer’s goal than it did to the stopper himself.

The hosts did not sit back and defend their slender lead they continued to look dangerous going forward and Jarvis Wilson did just enough to prevent Hayden doubling his tally on the evening after a ball into the box dropped at the strikers feet three minutes later.

The closest Ives came to getting level before the break came in 27th minute when route one tactics almost brought them reward. Conway’s long punt down the centre was flicked on by Marc Richards and the ball struck the hand of a covering Blue Imps defender inches outside the box. There were a queue of people eager to take the resulting free kick and it was taken cleverly with Williams back heel opening things up for Ben Toseland to strike his shot but the young full back pulled his low drive inches wide of Plummer’s left hand post.

This was the signal for the visitors to start building some pressure and Richards should have done better seven minutes later as he rose unchallenged at the back post to get onto a hanging Kyle Lincoln cross from the left but unlike Saturday the usually deadly centre forward steered his header the wrong side of the post.

Only seconds later a Ben Seymour-Shove cross from the right was sliced over his own crossbar at full stretch by Stef Mallardo. Keeper Plummer had his first real test of the evening in 39th minute as Robbie Parker set up Nathan Hicks 25 yards out. The Ives number eleven let fly a screamer that Plummer did well to push away low to his right. 

Having enjoyed that very good period Ives almost got caught on the break only ninety seconds before half time. Hayden was this time the provider as he wriggled his way through on the left. He got to the bye line before pulling the ball back to Regan Pelling just inside the box and he slotted the ball into the corner of the net. To his great chagrin the assistant referee on the near side instantly raised his flag with the problem being that Michael Shaikly had run across the face of goal inside the six yard box and got in front of keeper Conway thus was deemed interfering with play. Perhaps a slightly lucky escape for the Ives who almost rubbed salt into the wounds of the hosts seconds later as Williams cut in from the right to feed in Seymour-Shove but Plummer was equal to his well struck shot blocking with his body at close range.

Manager Marheineke decided to make a tactical change at the break and returned to Saturday’s successful line up with the speedy Gyasi replacing Hottor. Ives needed a good start to the second period but their poor finishing continued to let them down. The half was four minutes old when Seymour-Shove and Hicks combined to put Williams in but as those before him the Ives man failed to hit the target from twelve yards.

Toseland was having some success in tandem with Gyasi down the left and the former’s low cross almost crept in at the back post in 54th minute. If the faintest of touches from Jack Marshall had been a little more he would have diverted the ball inside the post instead of out for one of Ives eight corners of the second period. The Ives left back came even closer to forcing a struggling Brantham defender into putting the ball into his own in 62nd minute as his deep free kick to the back post was deflected onto his own crossbar by Mallardo.

Ives were dealt two injury blows which did not help their cause as just after the hour both Wilson and Williams limped out of the action to be replaced by 17 year old full back Bailey Baker making his competitive debut and striker Arel Amu. This meant that manager Marheineke had been forced into playing his entire hand with still almost a third of the game to go. 

Gyasi continued to take every opportunity to run at the tiring host’s defence but to often his end product lacked the cutting edge. In 77th minute he managed to beat three defenders in a mazy run along the eighteen yard line but sadly when the shot came it was scuffed and proved a simple save for Plummer.

The hosts had two very good chances in the following three minutes to make the latter stages a whole lot easier for themselves. Baker was Ives saviour on the first of these as he showed his pace to catch and dispossess Brothers who looked like he had got clear down the left and was cutting in on goal. The Blue Imps striker went down under the challenge but referee Michael Robertson-Tant was right on the spot and deemed the tackle a fair one. Conway then pulled off a brilliant diving save high to his left to keep Ives in the game only seconds later. Brothers and Hayden had combined well again before setting up substitute Johnny Lee for a curling effort from 20 yards that was heading for the top corner but for the heroics of Ives keeper.

By this point in the game Toseland was operating at a left winger and there were two minutes of the ninety remaining when another of his teasing crosses looked like it was going to find Oran Jackson ghosting in at the back post but a struggling Joss Neale stretched himself to get just the faintest of touches to knock the ball away. The ball was fed back up to Toseland who this time got to the bye line before drilling in a low cross that Richards tried to divert goal wards only to also be denied by the now seriously cramped up Neale. That was the Blue Imps midfielder’s final action as he limped off the field, I think he probably knew he had done just about enough to see his colleague’s home.

There was one final opportunity at each end in the added six minutes. Two minutes in and with every Ives player deep inside host’s territory Jack Madley managed to get the ball away to Hayden who was completely clear but as Conway came to meet him he took the rshot on early but put it into the side netting.

Ives final chance to take the game to penalties came in the fifth added minute as Richards got a flick onto a long Conway punt Gyasi ran onto the bouncing ball but under heavy pressure from Malladro he sliced his effort high and wide from just inside the box.

The Blue Imps had earned their celebration at the end and it is they who progress to the next round. Ives must lift themselves for another tough battle on Saturday as they visit the powerful Lambs in the West Midlands. 

Final Score : Brantham Athletic  1  St Ives Town  0   

Goals : none 

Team : Conway, Jarvis Wilson (Baker 62), Toseland, Hottor (Gyasi 46), Oran Jackson, Lincoln, Seymour-Shove, Parker (capt), Richards, Williams (Amu 64), Hicks  

Unused subs : Patrick, Clifton

Supporters man of the match : Ben Toseland

Attendance : 194

Report by Nigel Howlett. Video by Dave Hook. Photos by Louise Thompson.


Canvey Island v St Ives Town


St Ives Town v Canvey Island

St Ives Town v Canvey Island

Emirates FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round – 21-09-19

Both sides go into the hat for Mondays 3rd Qualifying Round draw, but it is probably Ives who will be the more relieved of the two sides to still be in the competition after this stalemate in the blazing sunshine at Westwood Road.

Already missing seven regulars through injury, suspension, non-availability and being cup tied this was never going to be an easy game for the hosts. But even with that number of players missing they still matched their lower level visitors up to the break only to then be dealt a further blow to their threadbare resources as Jarvis Wilson saw red for a needless lunge on Albert Levett in first half stoppage time.

A half time reshuffle saw the Ives come out with such a solid defensive shape that they restricted the Gulls to only a single opportunity throughout the entire second half and that was brilliantly kept out by Cambridge United loanee goalkeeper Finley Iron. However visitors manager Mark Bentley may well regret not being a little more adventurous against the ten men as the Gulls maintained a rigid back four who spent most of the second half marking no one.

After a cagey opening period from both sides it was the visitors who carved out the first opportunity from a corner on the left. Josh Hutchinson delivered his flag kick deep to beyond the far post where Elliott Warren rose above the Ives defence to head the ball back into the mix. It was half cleared to James White who rather snatched his effort from the edge of the box wide of the post.

Ives first opportunity came four minutes later as the ever busy Jack Snelus harried and robbed Dan Humphries before wriggling past White and firing in a low drive from a narrow angle that forced keeper Lamar Johnson into a diving save at his near post. The resulting corner came to nothing.

The next goalmouth action in the 24th minute saw George Purcell manage to find just enough space to turn and get in a shot from 20 yards that deflected wide off Charlie Johnson. The resulting corner was won in the air by Michael Finneran and he managed to direct his header on target forcing Iron to tip the ball over the top. The next corner from the left by Hutchinson was again won in the air by the visitors as Warren directed his header down into the six yard box. Johnson’s attempted clearance looped into the air to the far post where Jason Hallett bravely went in with Iron and won the header but his goal bound effort was hacked off the line by Ty Ward.

The game then seemed to enter a quiet period with both sides cancelling each other out for the next twenty minutes but it exploded back into life in the final few minutes before the break. In the final minute of the 45 the pace of Dylan Wilson rewarded him with Ives best opportunity of the afternoon as he outpaced Warren to get on the end of a long ball out of defence by Jeff Woodward. Wilson decided to take on the opportunity first time trying to lift the dropping ball over Johnson but he did not quite get enough on it and the big keeper made a comfortable save.

Play swung immediately to the other end where Purcell thought he had put the Gulls in front. A long White free kick was knocked down into the box by Warren and Purcell pounced to knock home from point blank range but the assistant’s flag had gone up instantly from the knock on indicating that much to Ives relief the Canvey number ten had gone just to soon.

Ives relief did not last long as in the final added minute Jarvis Wilson had a mad moment as he lunged in recklessly on Levett just outside the box. With both feet off the floor and studs showing he made it easy for referee Alistair Wilson who very quickly went for the red card. The only fortunate thing for Ives was that they survived the free kick which was fired into the wall by White and thirty seconds later the half time whistle blew giving them an opportunity to re-group.

With Ben Jackson already on having replaced a strangely quiet Ben Seymour-Shove who had limped off with a tight hamstring three minutes before the break manager Ricky Marheineke had the personnel on the pitch to allow him to re-organise the ten men into a very solid formation and invite the Gulls to come on and break them down and this was exactly how his side shaped up for the start of the second half. Instantly they lost possession Ives got everyone back behind the ball and defended their own half resolutely. 

The Gulls seemed to have very little idea how to find a way through and on the one occasion that they did carve out an opening keeper Iron showed his mettle as he pulled off an excellent point blank block to deny Tobi Joseph in 66th minute. The opportunity had been carved out by one of the very few incisive moves by the visitors in the second period as the broke quickly having broken up one of Ives rare forays forward. Purcell did well to keep the ball in play on the right and fed it to the feet of Hallett 25 yards from goal in a central position he in turn cleverly flicked it into the run of Joseph who was through one on one with Iron. The keeper closed him quickly and stayed big blocking the shot when it came with his legs allowing Tom Wood to clear up behind him and hack the ball to safety.

The hosts only opportunity after the break came only seconds later as a quick break by Snelus pulled in a number of defenders allowing him to feed in Wood breaking on the right. His pull back picked out Dylan Wilson in the centre by the penalty spot but Finneran was alert to the danger and did just enough to block the young striker’s attempt on goal. The ball ricocheted back to Ward who tried his luck first time from 30 yards but only succeeded in screwing his effort well wide.

It almost began to seem like both sides were settling for a return on Canvey Island in midweek as the clock began to run down on the second period. The ten men of Cambridgeshire were generally fairly comfortable in repelling anything that the unadventurous eleven from Essex could throw at them and the only save that either keeper had to make in the remaining 25 minutes was nine minutes from time when Iron  had to plunge to his left to keep out a 30 yard snap shot from Hutchinson. 

So the battle will be re-joined at the Prospects Stadium on Tuesday evening when Ives will be hopeful that a few of their walking wounded may be available to make the trip and boost the depleted squad allowing them to take the game to the Gulls in a more positive fashion. 

Final Score : St Ives Town   0   Canvey Island  0

Goals : none

St Ives team : Iron, Woodward, Ward, Wood, Jarvis Wilson, Johnson, Seymour-Shove (Jackson 43), Parker (capt), Dylan Wilson (Clifton 82), Snelus, Snaith (Phillips 86)

Unused subs : none

Man of match : Charlie Johnson

Attendance  :  187

Report by Nigel Howlett. Photos by Louise Thompson

Click on photo to enlarge


St Ives Town v Berkhamsted

St Ives Town v Berkhamsted

Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round – 07-09-19

In spite of dominating possession once again it took two hotly disputed goals to see Ives to their first victory of the season and although it did not glean them any League points it ensured progress and some valuable prize money in the FA Cup.

The opening goal just after the half hour came after referee Dan Woolley correctly insisted that Ives re-take a corner as Ben Seymour-Shove had been a little to keen to take his flag kick before the official had blown for the re-start after he had booked Berko’s Marley Hamilton for a foul in the build up that lead to the corner. The visitors had comfortably cleared the initial kick and were upset when the re-take was ordered. That upset turned to real ire when Charlie De’ath flicked home Seymour-Shove’s second attempt.

The unfortunate match official was also at the centre of further controversy when he was in the correct position to spot a tug on Tom Wood’s shirt by Dan Murphy inside the box and award Ives a penalty fifteen minutes after the re-start. After a long delay during which a few Berko players picked up yellow cards for pushing their questioning of Mr Woolley a little to far Seymour-Shove lashed home what ultimately proved to be the winner.

In between the goals Ives had managed to conjure up one of their poor defensive moments by failing to deal with a long punt down the centre and allowing Hamilton to nip in and level things up five minutes before half time.

This game had all the makings of a potential banana skin for the struggling Ives without suspended influential skipper Robbie Parker and injured pair of Jarvis Wilson and Dan Clifton. Their previously unbeaten visitors sitting atop Division One Central meant there were only three League places between the two sides. But manager Ricky Marheineke had done his homework on his opponents and went with an unusual formation which saw the hardworking George Bailey paired with Seymour-Shove to form a pacey twin spearhead.

Both teams showed good attacking intent in the early stages but it was not until 9th minute that the first real chance arrived and it went the way of the visitors as De’ath struggled to clear a bouncing ball and was robbed by Lewis Toomey who broke into the box and it took a smart save from Martin Conway to block his toe poke at goal from close range.

Ives first effort on target came only sixty seconds later as Bailey forced a diving save out of Berko keeper Xavier Leon Comas who had to plunge to his left to keep out the Ives strikers low 25 yarder.

Ives had a lucky escape as they almost fell behind in 13th minute a long punt by keeper Comas deceived Ben Jackson in the breeze and went over his head letting Jonathan Lacey in one on one with keeper Conway fortunately the Ives custodian came out on top spreading himself well to block the Berko strikers effort with his legs.

Surviving that scare seemed to inspire Ives and they wrestled control of the game from the visitors and enjoyed a real purple patch and started to create chances. In 26th minute keeper Comas was forced to make a good diving save low to his right to keep out a Jack Snelus effort from the edge of the box that went through a defender’s legs. Seymour-Shove thought he had scored only ninety seconds later as he ran onto a Wood clip over the top and hit a rasping first time drive on the volley from the corner of the box that flew past the grasping fingers of Comas but rattled the crossbar.

Ives pressure continued and keeper Comas had to be alert to sprint from his line and hack away a through ball from Wood that looked like it had put Seymour-Shove clear in 28th minute. Only seconds later Bailey fired over from the edge of the box after he had been teed up by Snelus.

The inevitable goal arrived just after the half hour when De’ath flicked home Seymour-Shove corner at the near post and we all thought that would settle the nerves but exactly as last week a momentary lapse of concentration in the Ives back line was punished allowing the visitors to get level only eight minutes later. Ives seventh corner of the first half was cleared at the near post and the ball channelled down the park. Mark Coulson intercepted and tried to play a bouncing ball back to his keeper. Under pressure from Ben Lacey Conway managed to make contact but the ball spiralled up into the air dropping dangerously 25 yards from goal. Darren Locke won the header and knocked it down to Hamilton who steered the ball home past the out of position Conway.

The second half started a little more cagily until the 55th minute when a long De’ath throw was knocked back to him on the left. His first time cross floated over Locke in the centre and Wood tried to take the ball down on the back edge of the six yard box. He was prevented from getting his shot away by a tug on his shirt from Murphy who had got on the wrong side of him. The well positioned referee had no hesitation that the tug warranted a penalty and although it looked like a soft one from my position the call was a correct one. The decision however was hotly disputed by Berko players who claimed that Wood was in fact the offender for leaning in. Needless to say no referee ever changes his mind once he has made the decision and with Parker missing it fell to Seymour-Shove to put Ives back in front when the dust eventually settled.

Not unsurprisingly falling behind again sparked a response from the visitors and Conway did well to claim a dangerous in-swinging Lacey free kick in spite of the close presence of Stephen Hatch in 64th minute. Ryan Kinane should probably have done better three minutes later as he managed to elude his marker and get on the end of another Lacey free kick but he failed to hit the target with his free header from eight yards.

As the game wore on the hosts defence seemed to grow in confidence and tightened their grip on the game. The only half chance that came in the remaining time was in 74th minute when Toomey flung himself at a Murphy cross from the left but the big striker was always stretching and could only direct his header from 15 yards well wide.

Ives very effectively played out time retaining possession well in the opposition end of the park and the only noteworthy item came deep in added time when referee Woolley denied Conway a rare keeper’s goal. With everyone including Comas up for a late, late, Berko corner Conway rose impressively to claim it and with no one at all in the opposition half took the opportunity to go for goal, carried on the breeze the ball was on its way towards the gaping net when referee Woolley called time on proceedings.

Progress in the FA Cup will lift the spirit in the whole camp and hopefully be a kickstart to picking up some League points it also gives us all the added pleasure of looking out from the draw on Monday to see who we pull out in the next round.  

Final Score : St Ives Town   2    Berkhamsted   1 

Goals : De’ath 32, Seymour-Shove 56 (pen)

St Ives team : Conway, Woodward, Coulson, Kelly, Jackson, De’ath, Wood (capt), Snaith, Bailey (Osei-Bonsu 75), Snelus (Forde 90+4), Seymour-Shove (Ward 90+2)

Unused subs : Johnson & Dylan Wilson

Man of match : George Bailey

Attendance  :  151

Report by Nigel Howlett. Video by Dave Hook. Photos by Louise Thompson.


York City vs St Ives Town

York City 3 St Ives Town 0

Emirates FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round 06-10-18

Ives record breaking FA Cup run came to an end at historic if now somewhat ramshackle Bootham Crescent against the once mighty Minstermen. They found themselves up against it even before the kick off losing the all action qualities of Tom McGowan to a one game ban courtesy of the new FA Cup totting up procedure. McGowan’s replacement was striker turned midfielder George Bailey who took his place in what looked like a very attacking Ives line up.

The visitors created the first half chance from the games first free kick in eighth minute as Jarvis Wilson rose highest to Robbie Parker’s ball in from the right but he was always stretching and could not keep his header down.

Having gone close the visitors found themselves behind only ninety seconds later as Jake Wright sped away down the centre with Ives defenders vainly appealing for offside. The Minstermen’s striker cleverly drew Sam Wilson to him before slotting the ball past the exposed keeper low to his left into the bottom corner of the net.

Ives reacted well to falling behind and came within inches of an equaliser four minutes later. Once more the chance came from a free kick curled in from the right by Parker. Jarvis Wilson was again the man who timed his run to perfection and got on the end of it but steered his side footed effort agonisingly wide from an excellent position with keeper Adam Bartlett rooted to the spot.

Sam Wilson kept his side in the game in 21st minute as he pulled off an excellent reaction save to deny Jordan Burrow from close range after the striker had powered in a close range header from a David Ferguson cross from the left. Wright pounced on the loose ball but the flag went up to deny him.

Danny Kelly was enjoying his battle against the rugged City centre backs and got the better of them in 29th minute getting to the bye line before pulling the ball back to Bailey on the edge of the box. The young striker struck his effort well and it rebounded the body of a defender who hurled himself in to block. Ives shouts for a penalty were quickly waved away by referee John Matthews.

As earlier having gone close Ives instantly found themselves under pressure at the other end as Minstermen debutant Nathan Dyer swung in a cross from the right that Ives struggled to clear the ball fell to Simon Heslop just inside the box he hammered in a low drive that flew through the crowd and thudded the base of keeper Wilson’s right hand upright.

City skipper Joe Tait had been struggling for pace against the lively Ives front line he was almost completely caught out in 32nd minute as Ben Seymour-Shove clipped a ball down the right that Ben Baker sprinted onto leaving Tait in his wake. But as the Ives man entered the box he snatched at his shot firing wildly wide. York manager Sam Collins made the instant decision of replacing his struggling skipper with Russell Penn who also took the armband.

Ives had a final chance to level things up before the break as Bailey won a free kick on the left edge of the box. Seymour-Shove swung the ball invitingly into the no man’s land between keeper Bartlett and his defenders forcing Wright into an excellent defensive header to prevent Owen Wallis getting on the end of it. The loose ball fell to Baker on the edge of the box but he blazed his first time effort well over the top.

Only one down at the break and still very much in the game Ives came back out very hopeful that they could find an equaliser but that hope was quickly extinguished by two quick goals early in the second period. A simple goal at the end of a flowing move in 50th minute saw the Minstermen double their advantage. The move saw at least a dozen passes strung together before Ferguson delivered a ball to the near post that was emphatically headed home by Burrow who had got across in front of his marker.

Another good passing move saw the lead increased to three and killed the game as a contest six minutes later. This time Alex Harris threaded a ball in to Burrow in a small amount of space on the edge of the box. Burrow once more showed his class as he turned on a sixpence and slammed a powerful drive into the roof of the net giving Wilson no chance.

With the contest now decided City substituted their two goal scorers and replaced them with the hugely experienced 36 year old Jon Parkin and the highly rated Alex Kempster. A few minutes later Ives manager Ricky Marheineke also played all of his remaining cards at one go as he made a triple substitution replacing Kelly, Baker and Seymour-Shove with Munashe Sundire, Ollie Snaith and Jordan Patrick.

Parkin should have increased the Minstermen’s lead in 70th minute as he timed his run to perfection to get on the end of a Ferguson cross from the left ahead of Jarvis Wilson but he somehow missed the target with his side footed effort from eight yards. The big striker did show his class two minutes later as he curled a ball off the outside of his foot to pick out Ferguson in space on the left. His in-swinging cross was headed over from ten yards by Kempster.

Ives won their first corner of the game in 78th minute Patrick delivered it deep where Mark Coulson kept it alive his ball back into the box was flicked on at the near post by Sam Cartwright with Sean Newton just doing enough to prevent Sundire forcing the ball home at the back post.

The visitor’s final opportunity to grab a consolation came two minutes from time as Bailey played a one two with Patrick before unleashing a low drive that skimmed off the turf and beat the diving Bartlett but flashed inches wide of his left hand post.

Referee Matthews called an end to Ives historic FA Cup run a few minutes later but the players can all be proud of their efforts both on the day and in their previous four games in the competition this season. We go out to a full time professional outfit who showed their extra experience and physical prowess on the day and deserved their win we wish them every success in the rest of the competition.

Result : York City 3 St Ives Town 0

Goals : none

Team : Sam Wilson, Hood, Coulson, Bailey, Cartwright, Jarvis Wilson, Wallis, Parker (capt), Kelly (Sundire 66), Baker (Patrick 66), Seymour-Shove (Snaith 66)

Unused subs : Griffiths, Dylan Wilson

Man of the match : Sam Cartwright

Attendance : 1243

Report by Nigel Howlett. Photos by Louise Thompson


Grantham Town vs St Ives Town

Grantham Town 0 St Ives Town 2   

Emirates FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round Replay – 25-09-18

St Ives Town printed another chapter in the Club history on a clear and chilly night at the soulless South Kesteven Stadium in Lincolnshire as an inspired double substitution by manager Ricky Marheineke found the goals to deservedly take the Club through to the third qualifying round of the FA Cup for the first time in its 131 year history.

Having got within ten minutes of progressing in Saturdays initial tie at Westwood Road Ives were fully aware that this fixture held no fears and with the carrot of a trip to the once mighty York City in the next round it was a night for the brave to stand up and be counted.

Ives management team decided that a positive formation attacking with pace down the flanks was the way to get at the Gingerbreads and with this in mind Ben Baker and Ben Seymour-Shove both came into the starting eleven at the expense of holding midfielder Owen Wallis and striker Munashe Sundire.

The change of tactics seemed to catch the Gingerbreads unawares and it was the visitors who got the best of the early exchanges. A push on Dylan Wilson by Tom Ward in fifth minute gave Ives an opportunity to load the box. The free kick eventually arrived at the back post where Jarvis Wilson turned his man well but his left footed effort from just inside the box lacked power and was a comfortable save for Theo Richardson in the hosts goal.

Ives went close again in twelfth minute as Baker fed Mark Coulson on the overlap down the left Dylan Wilson tried to get across his marker at the near post but was denied the space by Ward who knocked the ball out at the expense of a corner.

The hosts first opportunity arrived two minutes later as Ives struggled to clear a corner and the ball ricocheted around their box before Max Watters teed up Oliver Luto at the back post but the full back blazed over from a narrow angle.

Baker and Seymour-Shove continued to cause problems in the hosts back line and the pair combined to go close twice in two minutes around the twenty minute mark. On the first occasion Seymour-Shove got down the left and delivered a teasing cross into the no man’s land between keeper Richardson and his back line. Baker got between defenders but just failed to get the all important touch to steer the ball home as Richardson hesitated. Two minutes later Baker returned the compliment setting up Seymour-Shove for a left footed curler from the right corner of the box that just crept wide of Richardson’s right hand post.

Having failed to get in front Ives now found themselves pegged back as the Gingerbreads enjoyed a purple patch. In 28th minute Joe Hood had to show all of his defensive qualities to just prevent Ryley Thompson getting on the end of a dangerous Luke McCormick cross from the right bundling the ball out at the expense of a corner.

The resulting flag kick was taken short between McCormick and Jack McGovern with the latter finding space to deliver a cross onto the head of Cenk Acar ten yards from goal his downward header beat Sam Wilson in the Ives goal but rebounded to safety off the foot of the post. The hosts continued to press forward looking for the all important opener and McGovern went close with a looping header after a Ross Barrows cross from the right was deflected to him invitingly two minutes later.

Sam Wilson pulled off his best save of the evening in 36th minute as he plunged to his left to keep out a powerful Watters header as the Gingerbreads striker found a little bit of space inside the box to attack a Luto cross from the right. At this point in the game Ives were a bit like a boxer looking for the bell as they continued to work hard to hang on until the half time whistle. Tom McGowan personified that fighting spirit as he gallantly tracked back deep into his own penalty area to take the ball off the toe Tom Curtis after Watters had burst down the right and pulled the ball back into the run of the midfielder who looked like he was going to get in a clean strike but McGowan did just enough to ensure that the scores remained level at the break.

Having finished the first half well on top it was no surprise when the hosts carved out the first opportunity of the second period in 53rd minute when shots from around the box were bravely blocked by Ives players throwing themselves across the ball Jarvis Wilson, Robbie Parker and Sam Cartwright were all to the fore in this rear-guard action. The ball eventually fell to McGovern who drilled it wide from a good position.

Wilson pulled off another good save in 59th minute as he kept out a close range Cenk Acar shot on the turn after a corner from the left had been headed down inside the six yard box by Tom Ward.

Only two minutes later manager Marheineke made the double substitution that swung the game Ives way as he replaced his two strikers Dylan Wilson and George Bailey with Danny Kelly and Ollie Snaith. Within a couple of minutes of their introduction Jarvis Wilson went close as he ghosted around the back to get on the end of a Parker free kick deep inside the Gingerbreads box but he was always stretching and could not get his free header on target.

The opening goal came from a 66th minute corner on the right delivered into the mix by Seymour-Shove, Kelly rose majestically above the crowd at the back post and headed the ball down into the six yard box where centre back Cartwright bravely went in amongst the flying boots to force the loose ball home from point blank range.

Having got in front Ives suddenly took complete command of the game and doubled their advantage only five minutes later as Parker robbed a dallying Watters in the centre circle and fed the ball out to Baker who tore down the right leaving Luto in his wake and cleverly picked out Seymour-Shove in space inside the hosts box with his pull back. The Ives wide man took a touch and fired in a rising drive that beat the diving Richardson but rattled the underside of the crossbar and bounced down. With the Gingerbreads defence in complete disarray Snaith reacted first and slammed home the loose ball to spark joyous celebrations amongst the travelling faithful.

Now two behind the hosts heads seemed to go down and Snaith should have made it three in 73rd minute as he gathered a poor clearance 30 yards from goal and fed the ball out to Baker who again found space on the right before delivering an inviting cross into the run of Snaith who found himself with a free header eight yards out but he failed to hit the target with Richardson at his mercy.

By this point the deflated Gingerbreads seemed to only have one tactic left and that was to pump every ball long down the middle. This proved to be simple meat and drink to the Ives eighteen year old centre back pairing who again showed composure well beyond their years to win everything in the air decisively and instantly remove it as far as possible from danger.

Ives had another golden opportunity to put the icing on the cake two minutes from time as the substitute pair of Kelly and Snaith broke out at pace and combined to put their fellow sub Munashe Sundire away down the left. Baker was arriving into the box all on his own but Sundire misplaced his pull back and rolled the ball behind the young striker and the chance was gone.

The missed opportunities mattered little on the evening as referee Wayne Chalmers brought a halt to proceedings a few minutes later to spark a renewed bout of celebrations amongst all concerned with St Ives Town. The squad of heroes on the pitch including the management team came over the running track which surrounds the pitch at the Kesteven Stadium to applaud their faithful followers who responded in kind with another round of the Clubs own version of “the wonder of you”! 

The celebrations went on long into the night but all know that they must quickly get their feet back on the ground ahead of another important League game on Saturday before attention can turn to what will I am sure be a memorable trip to Bootham Crescent. 

Result :  Grantham Town  0  St Ives Town  2    

Goals : Cartwright 66, Snaith 71

Team : Sam Wilson, Hood, Coulson, McGowan, Cartwright, Jarvis Wilson, Baker, Parker (capt), Dylan Wilson (Kelly 61), Bailey (Snaith 61), Seymour-Shove (Sundire 75)

Unused subs : Wallis

Supporters man of the match : Sam Cartwright

Attendance : 294

Report by Nigel Howlett


St Ives Town vs Grantham Town

St Ives Town 1 Grantham Town 1 

Emirates FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round 22-09-18

This game all hinged on one critical incident fifteen minutes from time. Thanks to some excellent work from Dylan Wilson Munashe Sundire found himself with a shooting chance inside the Gingerbreads box. But rather than go for goal the Ives striker felt contact from a visitor’s defender and went down claiming a penalty.

Referee George Laflin was right on the spot and blew his whistle but rather than award the Ives their second penalty of the game the official deemed that no foul had been committed and Sundire had dived. With the Ives wing man having already picked up an unlucky yellow card in the first half the card that followed inevitably meant his dismissal. So from having a fantastic chance to go two in front and kill off the game the Ives suddenly found themselves down to ten men and on the back foot.

Prior to Sundire’s dismissal the hosts had been sitting fairly comfortably on a single goal advantage gleaned from Robbie Parker’s penalty just before the break and had looked likely to add to that advantage on a few occasions without really testing Gingerbreads keeper Theo Richardson.

Manager Ricky Marheineke had made a few changes from last Saturday’s excellent point against Stourbridge resting wide men Ollie Snaith and Ben Seymour-Shove and bringing back in fit again George Bailey and Sundire. Charlie De’ath was also missing with a rib injury giving Mark Coulson a chance to reclaim the left back spot after missing out for his wedding!

The visitors went close from the first corner of the game in fourth minute as Jack McGovern’s flag kick was met at the near post by ex St Neots Town centre back Tom Ward his header down into the six yard box was just scrambled away at the back post by Coulson.

Ives first meaningful attack came ten minutes later as an excellent ball out of defence by Owen Wallis picked out Dylan Wilson in space on the left side of the box. Wilson’s low cross beat everyone in the centre but was kept alive by Bailey beyond the far post but his attempted pull back to pick out Sundire was blocked by the body of Ryley Thompson.

The game developed into a midfield battle with both defences well on top and the first shot on target did not arrive until 35th minute when a crisp drive from 25 yards by Cent Acar was well gathered by Sam Wilson in the Ives goal.

Dylan Wilson almost caught out Richardson with Ives first effort on target only ninety seconds later. The Ives striker had pounced on a loose ball on the edge of the box but miss hit his snap shot causing the ball to loop up in the air and almost drift over the fast back peddling Richardson the keeper just doing enough to keep the ball out.

The opening goal arrived two minutes before the break courtesy of the hard work of Dylan Wilson as he battled to keep possession of a ball through the left channel and although pushed wide he delivered a low cross to the near post where Parker managed to get in front of Ward and was clumsily bundled over by the Gingerbreads skipper as he went to shoot. This time referee Laflin was convinced of the validity of Ives claims. Parker picked himself up and comprehensively beat Richardson from the spot.

Ives had an early opportunity to double their advantage only two minutes after the restart when good work by Tom McGowan got the ball through to Bailey inside the box. But the Ives striker was quickly closed down and blazed his effort over from a narrow angle.

The Gingerbreads tried to push forward to find a route back into the game but were finding it very difficult to find a way through the resolute Ives back line. Their best opportunity came in 50th minute from a free kick just outside the left hand edge of the box awarded when McGowan bundled over Acar but the wall did its job to block away McGovern’s free kick.

Owen Wallis was perhaps a little lucky not to pick up a second yellow card after a clumsy challenge on Acar in 57th minute. This time McGovern delivered his free kick to the back post where Ward rose highest but the big centre back powered his header over the top from a good position.

Ives continued to look solid at the back and dangerous on the break and it was from one of these breaks in 75th minute that the game changed. Dylan Wilson chased down a long ball out of defence beating both Ward and keeper Richardson to the ball but his route to goal was blocked by covering defender Ross Barrows and he was pushed wide. Rather than go for goal himself he picked out Sundire just inside the box to create that fateful moment.

The Ives going down to ten men provided just the lift that the Gingerbreads needed to find a way back into the game and they started to exert some pressure on the hosts back line. The equaliser arrived somewhat fortuitously in the 80th minute as a shot from the right hand corner of the box by Luke McCormick was deflected into the path of substitute Kevin Da Silva Bastos who powered the loose ball home into the bottom corner past the diving Wilson.

Having levelled things up it looked likely that the visitors would pile on the pressure against the gallant ten men to try and finish off the tie. But thanks to the hard work of the Ives players that pressure never really reached the level that might have been anticipated. There were chances and with six minutes to go Daniel Horton managed to ghost between the two Ives centre backs to get on the end of a Barrows cross from the right but could only direct his header over the top.

The closest we came to a winner was in the final minute of the ninety when it took an excellent double save from Wilson to keep the scores level. Max Watters forced his way into the box from the right before unleashing a powerful low drive that Wilson plunged to his right to keep out but could only parry his reaction save to keep out the follow up effort from Acar at close range was brilliant.

The ten men proceeded to play out the added four and a half minutes without further scares and both names go into the hat for Mondays draw. On todays evidence there is little between these two teams and the replay at the spacious South Kesterven Stadium on Tuesday night promises to be another tight affair that could go all the way.

On yet another day where there were a host of contenders for the man of the match award the match sponsors picked the tireless Tom McGowan who claimed his third award in four games but he must have been pushed very close by his fellow midfielders Owen Wallis and Robbie Parker, young centre back pair Jarvis Wilson and Sam Cartwright and the very hard working Dylan Wilson.    

Result :  St Ives Town  1  Grantham Town  1    

Goals : Parker 43 (pen)

Team : Sam Wilson, Hood, Coulson, McGowan, Cartwright, Jarvis Wilson, Wallis (Snaith 62), Parker (capt), Dylan Wilson (Patrick 87), Bailey (Baker 83), Sundire

Unused subs : Short, Seymour-Shove

Sponsors Man of the match : Tom McGowan

Attendance : 293

Report by Nigel Howlett. Photos by Louise Thompson

Many thanks to Match Sponsor Leeds Day Solicitors and Match ball sponsor Thomas Quinn Chartered Accountants