First Team Result St Neots Town 0 St Ives Town 4

St Neots Town 0 St Ives Town 4

Date: Tuesday 20th December 2016
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Competition: Southern League Premier Division
Ground Address: Kester Way, St. Neots, Cambridgeshire PE19 6SN

The Saints extended their unbeaten run to 7 matches with a comprehensive victory over neighbours St Neots in the “Battle of the Saints”.

The team went into the match full of confidence after two solid points gained in the past week, with the added relief of only a short trip to this game. Confidence probably wasn’t so high for the home side, experiencing a bad run of form and who’s manager Andy Davies resigned on Monday.

St Neots had the first shot of quality with Nassim L’Ghoul striking from 30 yards forcing Tim Trebes to tip the ball over the bar. St Ives followed with their own effort a minute later with Josh Dawkin hitting his just wide of the far post.

The first goal of the game came on 20 minutes thanks to a free kick conceded by ex-Saints man Jonny Hall. Jack Higgs curled the free kick in finding Jack Bradshaw, who’s header rebounded of the bar falling to Liam McDevitt who tucked it away. Jack Higgs attempted to go from provider to scorer taking a low shot from 25 yards just wide at the near post.

The visiting fans didn’t have long to wait for the lead to be doubled. Ben Seymour-Shove crossed the ball in for the far side, Danny Kelly leapt above the defender to nod the ball home with a great header.

St Neots’ first corner came on 36 minutes. Charlie Day put the ball in the box only for Sam Mulready to head it across the face of goal and out for a goal kick. The resulting movement forward saw Dubi Ogbonna testing home keeper Alex Archer from the edge of the box. The Saints did make it 3-0 on 41 minutes with hitting a powerful strike from 30 yards out.

The home side came out with more energy in the second period with both Charlie Day and another ex-Saints man Pete Clark both having shots in the first few minutes.

The Saints fourth and final goal of the evening came as Jonny Halls misplaced clearance by the corner flag into the path of Josh Dawkin who made no mistake in firing his host past the advancing Archer.

A change in formation for the home side following a substitution saw Declan Rogers move through the middle before firing off a powerful shot into Tim Trebes. Two substitutions for the Saints shortly after saw Morgan Penfold and Jared Cunniff on for goalscorers Danny Kelly and Josh Dawkin.

The next notable attempt followed on 70 minutes when Penfold made his run through the St Neots defence only to place his shot inches wide into the side netting. The Saints made their final substitution of the night bring goalscorer Ben Seymour-Shove off to great applause from the travelling fans, for Mark Coulson. The final shot of the game for the Saints, and possibly the most impressive if it had come off, came from Jack Higgs. A shot reminiscent of his best from last season saw his power shot from 30 yards left the crossbar rattling before clearing the stan behind.

Overall a once again impressive Saints side saw them claim the result the performance deserved. The win lifted the side to 12th in the table before the Boxing Day derby with Cambridge City next week.

St Ives team : Trebes, Bradshaw, Jarrold, Chaffey, McDevitt, Higgs, Dawkin (Cunniff 75), McGowan, Kelly (Penfold 68), Ogbonna, Seymour-Shove (Coulson 82)

Unused subs : Moyes, O’Malley

Goals : McDevitt 20, Kelly 29, Seymour-Shove 41, Dawkin 51

Supporters Man of the Match : Josh Dawkin

Final Score : St Neots Town 0 St Ives Town 4

Attendance : 357