First Team Result St Ives Town 1 Weymouth FC 2

St Ives Town vs Weymouth FC

Date: Saturday 8th April 2017
Kick Off: 3pm
Competition: Southern League Premier Division
Ground Address: ProEdge Westwood Road, St Ives, Cambridgeshire, PE27 6DT
Match Day Sponsor: TM Roofing Ltd

For 75 minutes of this game Ives, boosted by an early Ben Seymour-Shove special, looked the only likely winners. But the game was turned on its head by a brace from the unlikely source of Terras skipper Stephane Zubar and the dismissal of Jack Bradshaw for a second bookable offence. Ultimately the hosts ended up with nothing from a game where their performance deserved full reward.

Manager Ricky Marheineke made two enforced changes to the side which had performed so well at Redditch the previous week with Club captain Charlie De’ath coming in for the unavailable Lee Chaffey and Seymour-Shove returning to replace Dubi Ogbonna who is again struggling with recurrent knee problems. This change also meant Peter Clark was moved inside to play off Danny Kelly in a 4-4-2 formation similar to the one that finished the game so strongly at Redditch.

The early exchanges saw the two sides testing each other out without either looking likely to penetrate. But the game was sparked into life on twelve minutes as Seymour-Shove received a ball in midfield jinked inside his marker and unleashed a dipping strike from fully 30 yards that caught Terras player/manager keeper Jason Matthews off guard and despite his scrambling efforts and desperate late dive he was well beaten as the ball flashed past him into the net.

Ives continued to push forward to look for a second goal and only four minutes later Jordan Jarrold picked out Seymour-Shove wide on the right with an excellent cross field ball that the Ives winger volleyed first time into the middle only inches ahead of the fast arriving Jack Higgs.

The visitor’s first attempt on goal arrived on 24 minutes as Stuart Fleetwood took a ball into his feet 25 yards from goal and turned his man well before feeding the ball into the run of Billy Lowes. Lowes continued his direct run to the edge of the box before firing inches wide of Tim Trebes right hand post as he was closed down.

Clark was enjoying his role playing off the big man Kelly and the two combined well to create an excellent chance just after the half hour. Kelly knocking a ball through which Clark ran onto and clipped past the advancing Matthews only to see the ball bounce inches the wrong side of the post with the keeper well beaten.

The Terras were still looking dangerous from dead ball situations and went close from a corner on 33 minutes as Tiago Sa’s in-swinger from the left was bravely won by Jake Wannell in spite of the attempted punch of keeper Trebes. But the presence of Trebes was enough to ensure the big centre back could only direct his header wide.

The Ives continued to press forward in search of the all important second goal, but the only items worthy of note in the remaining time before the break were two unnecessary yellow cards for Ives players both picked up deep in Terras territory. De’ath was first to go in referee Andrew Humphries notebook for tangling with Wannell inside the visitors box while the pair waited for a corner to be delivered. Bradshaw quickly followed him for kicking the ball away after having been caught yards offside as he overlapped down the right.

The ever reliable Liam McDevitt almost gifted the visitors a way back into the game just six minutes after the break as he inexplicably let a long ball from Zubar go thinking it would continue on to Trebes, but Fleetwood was onto the loose ball in a flash and should have done better as he failed to hit the target from well inside the box with only the keeper to beat.

After surviving this scare the hosts resumed their quest for the all important second goal. Only two minutes later Kelly again held the ball up well before playing it left to Josh Dawkin who in turn played an excellent back heel to put Seymour-Shove into space down the line. Unfortunately his low driven cross evaded everyone in the centre.

Ives should have got that second goal on 61 minutes as Higgs played the ball into Kelly on the edge of the D and he cleverly flicked the ball on to put Clark in with a great chance. It looked like the skilful Ives striker had done everything right as he clipped the ball past the exposed Matthews, but again it drifted just the wrong side of the upright.

The home side were gifted a corner on 64 minutes as a long ball out of defence by Bradshaw was headed back by Ashley Wells, but his effort was poorly directed and despite Matthews scrambling attempts to keep it in the linesman awarded a flag kick. The resulting corner was knocked out to McDevitt at the back post. He did well to turn on the ball, but failed to keep his shot from the edge of the box down and the ball sailed well over the top.

As Ives chances continued to go begging the Terras were beginning to think that it might just be their day and they were pushing more and more men forward in search of the equaliser. Wannell found himself wide on the left as he picked up the ball in 69th minute. He belied his centre back status as he cut in past Seymour-Shove and picked out Fleetwood with a low cross. Fleetwood’s effort from close range was blocked on the line by De’ath and Ben Thomson following up hammered the loose ball high and wide.

Ives final, and probably best, chance for the goal to kill the game came 15 minutes from time and again Kelly was the provider as he clipped the ball into the run of Dawkin cutting in from the left. Ives leading scorer took on the bouncing ball and tried to lob the exposed Matthews. But the keeper did well leaping to parry the initial shot and pouncing on the loose ball.

From that point the game changed as three minutes later Calvin Brooks got past Jarrold down the right and delivered a low cross into the centre. The initial effort was blocked, but the ball rebounded into the air and was acrobatically lashed home from close range by Zubar.

Bradshaw was made to regret his needless booking in the first half as only one minute later he was beaten by Terras substitute Charlie Davis on the left and was forced into a rash tackle which took out the Weymouth man and earned him a cast iron second yellow to take Ives down to ten. Clark was quickly sacrificed to bring on Charlie Day at left back with Jarrold moving across to the right, but Ives chances of winning this game were very seriously diminished.

The visitors, who to their credit had battled on throughout, could not believe their luck and they poured forward in search of the winner. McDevitt was almost caught out two minutes later as his attempted clearance only went straight to Fleetwood deep in Ives territory. The Terras centre forward picked out substitute Aaron Rodriguez in the centre who looked like he only had to hit the target to score, but he inexplicably side footed wide from eight yards.

Skipper De’ath came to Ives rescue with six minutes to go as he cleared a Brooks header off the line after the visitors midfielder got on the end of a deep cross from the left by Davis. Ives did manage to push a few men forward for a free kick on 86 minutes, but this nearly cost them as the visitors broke at pace with Dominic Panesar-Dower and Thomson exchanging passes. Before the former teed up the latter for a shot from the edge of the box which he hit inches wide.

A winner for the Terras was looking inevitable and it arrived two minutes from the end of the ninety. Jarrold fouled Panesar-Dower just outside the box on the left. Keeper Matthews in his last away game in charge came up for the kick showing that the visitors were certainly going for win, or bust. Brooks drove the free kick low into the box and it somehow evaded everyone before arriving at the feet of Zubar who had the simple task of side footing it home at the far post.

The ten men Ives were unable to rally themselves to create anything in the remaining time with the only item of note being Fleetwood rattling the crossbar from the edge of the box having been put through into a good position by Brooks deep in added time.

This was a tough defeat to take as Ives followed up their excellent performance at Redditch with another impressive display. Unfortunately as we have found out on a few occasions this season. If you do not take your chances at this level you will get punished and so it proved to be. Danny Kelly picked up the supporter’s man of the match award for yet another selfless display and he was involved in everything Ives created in the final third of the pitch. If only one, or two, more of the chances he created could have been taken it would have been a different story.


St Ives team : Trebes, Bradshaw, Jarrold, De’ath (capt), McDevitt, McGowan, Seymour-Shove, Higgs, Kelly, Clark (Day 82), Dawkin

Unused subs : Wright, Ogbonna

Goals :  Seymour-Shove 12

Supporters Man of the Match : Danny Kelly

Final Score :  St Ives Town 1 Weymouth 2

Attendance  :  224