First Team Result Dorchester Town 1 St Ives Town 1

Dorchester Town 1 St Ives Town 1

Date: Tuesday 13th December 2016
Kick Off: 7:45pm
Competition: Southern League Premier Division
Ground Address: Weymouth Avenue, Dorchester, Dorset. DT1 2RY

Taking into account the long Tuesday night trip, injuries, and player unavailability due to work commitments this was an excellent point on the road claimed by a brilliant goalkeeping performance from captain Tim Trebes and a well taken late goal by Josh Dawkin.
The unavailability meant that there were four changes to the starting line up from Saturday’s excellent win over Redditch. The Ives bench was also only three strong with scholars Jamie Short and Matt Wright joining Ben Seymour-Shove. The one thirty departure had lead to some of the problems, but it proved necessary as a five hour journey meant that the team arrived still with sufficient time for a good warm up to stretch out their legs.
Not surprisingly Ives started a little slowly and Trebes had to make his first save after only four minutes as Lewis Morgan curled a free kick from 20 yards over the wall, but fortunately straight at the Ives stopper who held on well.
The next opportunity also fell to the home side on 18 minutes as David Jerrard and Neil Martin combined well on the left before the latter delivered a cross into the box that evaded everyone in the centre and arrived at the feet of Tom Blair beyond the far post. Luckily for the visitors he failed to use the time and space he had and hit a first time effort high and wide from just inside the box.
Ives first threatening move came directly from the resulting goal kick as Morgan Penfold managed to bring it down wide left and fed the ball into Jared Cunniff who played a delightful chip down the left channel that picked out Dawkin running into the box. The tricky wingers clip to the far post was just to high for Tom McGowan to get the all important touch.
After this escape the Magpies continued to enjoy the majority of possession and managed to pick up another free kick in a dangerous position on 27 minutes. The speedy Ben Wood robbed Dawkin 25 yards from Ives goal and in Dawkin’s attempts to win back the ball he was deemed to have fouled the Dorchester man. Jerrard carefully lined up the free kick and curled it over the four man wall, but again Trebes was perfectly positioned and held on well.
As the Magpies continued to press Trebes was called into action again only two minutes later making two good saves in quick succession. Ollie Bassett robbed Jack Bradshaw on the left and fed the ball into Blair who curled in an effort from the left that Trebes just managed to paw away at full stretch. Wood managed to keep the ball in play and pulled it back to Blair who frustratingly for the home side shot straight at a well positioned Trebes from the edge of the box.
The home side went close again on 35 minutes as Jerrard got on the end of a cross from the right by Wood, but he failed to hit the target with a free header from ten yards.
Two minutes later it was McGowan’s turn to concede a free kick just outside the box as he was adjudged to have pulled back Bassett as the young striker tried to get away from him. This time Bassett took the free kick himself, but with the same result as again the shot got over the wall, but only found the grateful hands of a well positioned Trebes.
Ives created only their second opportunity of the opening half seven minutes before the break. Dubi Ogbonna was brought down by Matt Oldring right on the edge of the box in a central position. The deadly striker lined up his shot well and was unfortunate to see his well struck effort deflected wide off the Magpies wall.
There was still time for one more save from Trebes just before half time whistle as Wood played in Jerrard with a perfectly weighted pass through the left channel. Jerrard cut in and went for goal from just inside the box. But the alert Trebes had closed him down and made an excellent block.
Home player manager Mark Jermyn went for a change of tactics at half time by replacing Jerrard with Joe Lea who went into midfield with Oldring moving into the back line and centre back and skipper Nathan Walker going up front.
However Ives almost caught them napping straight from the kick off as the ball was swung out to Dawkin in a wide position and he delivered a cross into the centre that picked out Ogbonna whose on target shot from 20 yards was deflected just past the post. The resulting corner bounced around the Magpies box before it arrived at the back post where Ogbonna went for the spectacular, but his attempted overhead kick lacked power and was a comfortable catch for keeper Shane Murphy.
It took nine minutes before the powerful Walker managed to have an impact and when he did he found Trebes was still on excellent form. Jason Brookes found some space on the right and delivered a deep cross that picked out Walker to perfection. The big man powered in a header from ten yards that looked certain to go in, but Trebes hurled himself to his left to palm the ball away. The loose ball was fed back to Brookes who again picked out Walker with his cross. Another powerful header pulled out another very good save from Trebes as he this time tipped the ball over the top.
The resulting corner was swung into the six yard box where Walker’s presence caused Liam McDevitt into a rash attempted clearance that flashed past Trebes to put the home side into a lead they probably deserved at this point.
However having got in front the home side seemed to switch off momentarily and Dawkin thought he had found the equaliser less than sixty seconds later. Ives broke at pace and Penfold fed the ball from the right into the feet of Cunniff who jinked his way into the box before laying the ball square to Dawkin in space with only the keeper to beat. He looked like he had done everything right slotting the ball past the advancing Murphy, but Brookes had other ideas and raced around behind his keeper to prevent the ball crossing the line.
This near miss seemed to lift the visitors and suddenly it was all Ives as they began to push hard for a leveller. Only four minutes later McGowan won a ball in midfield and strode forward before unleashing a powerful effort that deflected inches wide of the post with keeper Murphy scrambling to get across.
This was the McGowan’s final action of the evening as he was sacrificed to bring Ben Seymour-Shove into the game and go with a more attacking formation as Seymour-Shove went into a wide position with Penfold going more central alongside Ogbonna. The next Ives opportunity came 15 minutes from time as Ogbonna broke down the right at pace and looked to have picked out Dawkin in space in the centre, but again Brookes was wise to the action and appeared just in time to touch the ball away from the Ives wing man.
As the final ten minutes approached the Ives continued to pile on the pressure and were pushing the home side deeper and deeper. Bradshaw went close with a well struck free kick from fully 30 yards on 79 minutes. The ball was dipping and swerving so much that keeper Murphy almost made a mess of his attempt to punch it away.
Jack Higgs got in on the act one minute later as he tried to run into the box. The resulting tackle knocked the ball into the path of Ogbonna who curled a first time effort from 20 yards just over the angle of post and crossbar. The speedy 17 year old Matt Wright joined the action alongside Ogbonna just after this and his pace added to the pressure on the weakening Magpies back line.
By now Dawkin was enjoying some success on the left and with five minutes to go he tricked his way between two Magpies defenders to get to the bye line. His low cross to the near post was met perfectly by Seymour-Shove whose goal bound flick from close range struck the standing leg of keeper Murphy and bounced away. But the chance was not gone as the scrambled attempt at a clearance only found Dawkin again. This time he took the chance to run across the face of goal past two defenders before unleashing a right foot shot that flew into the bottom corner of the net past a static Murphy to spark wild celebrations amongst the players and the small travelling contingent from Cambridgeshire.
The remaining five plus a couple of added minutes were predominantly played out in the centre of the park with both sides seeming to settle for a share of the spoils. Fittingly there was one final opportunity for Trebes to display his skills as he came and bravely claimed a high hanging cross from the left by Martin well above the head of Walker deep in added time. His punt down the pitch from this catch proved the final action of an entertaining evening.
Tim Trebes fully justified his unanimous vote for man of the match with Josh Dawkin in second spot. The journey home was a little less torturous with less traffic and only a few roadworks to contend with. We can all look forward to it again on Saturday with the longest trip of the season to come to Weymouth.
St Ives team : Trebes, Bradshaw, Jarrold, Moyes, McDevitt, Higgs, Dawkin, McGowan (Seymour-Shove 64), Ogbonna, Cunniff, Penfold (Wright 82)
Unused subs : Short
Goals : Dawkin 85,
Supporters Man of the Match : Tim Trebes
Final Score : Dorchester Town 1 St Ives Town 1
Attendance : 168