First Team Result Carlton Town 1 St Ives Town 4

Carlton Town vs St Ives Town

Date: Saturday 29th October 2016
Kick Off: 3pm
Competition: FA Trophy First Qualifying Round
Ground Address: Bill Stokeld Stadium, Stoke Lane, Gedling, Nottinghamshire, NG4 2QS

With Dubi Ogbonna cup tied, Danny Kelly unavailable and Morgan Penfold injured it again fell to winger turned striker Ben Seymour-Shove to lead the line against the struggling Millers. Yet again he came up to the plate with a starring performance that involved a hand in all four Ives goals including a well deserved brace for himself.

However it was the home side who should have gone in front after only 50 seconds as a ball down the middle was not dealt with by Ives defence and Romello Nangle found himself completely clear with only keeper Tim Trebes to beat. He tried lobbing the advancing stopper, but fortunately fluffed his lines and the ball drifted inches wide of the far post.

Having survived this early scare the Ives started to take the game to their hosts and Seymour-Shove went close twice in two minutes before putting the visitors in front from a gift in the eighth minute. His first opportunity came on six minutes as Jordan Jarrold fed him in through the left channel, but he delayed his shot just a little to long and allowed covering defender Lawrence Gorman to get back and rob him. Sixty seconds later Buster Harradine bust into the box on the right and laid the ball back into Seymour-Shove’s path 15 yards out, but he pulled his first time effort wide of the near post.

He was third time lucky as he grabbed the opener with his next attempt. Jack Higgs sprayed a ball out to the right where Scott Sinclair brought it down and laid it into Tom McGowan who hit a first time effort that keeper Jack Steggles juggled at his near post. He looked certain to pounce on the loose ball, but somehow lost it presenting Seymour-Shove with a simple tap in from a narrow angle.

The all action striker was involved again on seventeen minutes as Ives doubled their advantage with another goal that keeper Steggles will not want to see again. This time he came racing from his goal to try and prevent Seymour-Shove picking up a long ball out of defence on the left. The striker beat him to the ball and clipped it over the keeper, but covering defender Gorman just got enough of a touch to knock the ball out of play. Seymour-Shove had the presence of mind to pick up the ball and take a quick throw to Josh Dawkin who clipped it into the centre where an unmarked Harradine gleefully headed home with Steggles still struggling to get back into his goal.

It should have been three six minutes later as Seymour-Shove was brought down wide on the right by Jake Wholey. Higgs delivered the in-swinging free kick into the box where the nervous Steggles let the ball slip through his grasp. It was heading into the net when Charlie De’ath rose majestically behind the keeper, but somehow got his header wrong and deflected the ball away from goal much to the relief of the embarrassed Steggles.

Ives were looking comfortable and in control of the game. Seymour-Shove was denied a third Ives goal, by an assistant’s flag on 27 minutes. But having almost sewn the game up inside the first half hour the visitors suddenly allowed the Miller’s to get a foothold in the contest. De’ath misjudged a long ball down the middle and in his attempt to stop the ball going past him he used his arm to stop it to rather needlessly concede a free kick fully 35 yards from goal. The danger looked minimal, but Danny Gordon decided otherwise and absolutely hammered the ball past the wall and it flew into the top left corner of the net past a statuesque Trebes.

This lifted the home side and the game evened up a little for the remainder of the first half with both sides struggling to create any further clear cut opportunities.

It was expected that with this added confidence the hosts would look to really take the game to the Ives at the start of the second half. But any momentum and belief their manager may have instilled into them that they could get right back into this game was immediately extinguished as Dawkin restored the Ives two goal advantage only ninety seconds after the re-start. A Miller’s free kick was cleared at the near post and Seymour-Shove and Dawkin broke at pace with the former unselfishly playing in the latter who struck a right foot shot from the edge of the box that went under keeper Steggles and into the net.

The Ives were now looking comfortable on their two goal cushion and were absorbing anything that the home side could throw at them. Trebes was only called into action on a couple of occasions once to punch away a corner under pressure and then to claim a long throw above a ruck of players to take the pressure off his defence.

The visitors should have further increased their advantage on 64 minutes as Dawkin fed the ball out to Jarrold on the left and his ball into the box picked out McGowan at the back post. He took the ball down well, but wanted an extra touch which allowed Kieran Walker to block his eventual shot. The ball rebounded back to McGowan who fed it into the feet of Seymour-Shove coming up on the right. He turned inside his man, but fired wide of the near post.

This was McGowan’s final action of the game as he was withdrawn to be replace by former fans favourite Jared Cunniff who was warmly welcomed back on his return from Down Under by the Ives travelling faithful.

Back to the other end where Gordon was still trying to lift his colleagues into finding a way back into the game and he created two good opportunities for team mates in a five minutes spell between 70 & 75 minutes. The first saw him hold up the ball on the right before laying it inside to full back Gorman who arrived in space. Gorman went for the curler and beat Trebes, but was perhaps a little unlucky to see the ball fly inches over the angle of crossbar and post. The second again saw Gordon acting on the right and this time he played the ball in to the feet of Nangle who fired in a first time effort that flashed across the face of goal on it’s way to safety.

Any lingering hopes the Miller’s had of getting back into the game were finally snuffed out as they made another error at the back to gift Ives a fourth goal with ten minutes to go. Home skipper Romain Graham chased a ball back towards his corner flag and under little pressure went for the option of a back pass to his keeper. But he hit the ball a lot harder than was necessary. Keeper Steggles, perhaps foolishly, tried to bring the ball under control, but as is often the case with keepers in such circumstances he turned out to have the touch of a rhino. Seymour-Shove gratefully accepted the gift and side footed the loose ball into the empty net.

With the heart now ripped out of the home side it was all Ives for the remaining ten minutes and they should have added to their tally. Seymour-Shove again showed the unselfish touch as rather than go for his hat trick he teed up Jarrold in space one minute from time. The young full back turned winger unleashed a rising drive from 15 yards that beat Steggles, but rebounded to safety off the crossbar.

There was still time for Steggles to show his good side deep into added time as Seymour-Shove delivered a telling ball into the box that Cunniff was about to fire home when Gorman took his legs from under him by the penalty spot. The full back earned himself a yellow card and the referee awarded the spot kick. The honour was given to 16 year old substitute Tiago Dias who struck his penalty well low to the keeper’s left, only to be denied by an excellent diving save from Steggles.

The Ives march on to the second qualifying round, which matches their best ever performance in this competition. The behind the goal crowd were almost unanimous in their votes for a man of the match which went to the fellow involved in all four goals and who proved a constant thorn in the Millers side all afternoon, Ben Seymour-Shove.

St Ives team : Trebes, Sinclair, Coulson, De’ath (capt), McDevitt, Higgs, Dawkin,  McGowan (Cunniff 64), Seymour-Shove, Harradine (Dias 80), Jarrold

Unused subs : Chaffey, Sutton

Goals : Seymour-Shove 8, 80, Harradine 17, Dawkin 47

Supporters Man of the Match : Ben Seymour-Shove

Final Score :  Carlton Town 1 St Ives Town 4

Attendance  :  93