First Team Result Kings Langley 2 St Ives Town 1

Kings Langley vs St Ives Town

Date: Saturday 1st October 2016
Kick Off: 3pm
Competition: Southern League Premier Division
Ground Address: Gaywood Park, Hempstead Road, Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, WD4 8AL

When things are not going your way, in football, as in life, it just seems that no matter what you do, or how hard you try something will always occur that prevents you getting your just reward. So it was in this match in which Ives were the best team for the vast majority of the game, but having given away a soft goal they fought their way back into the game with a well taken Ben Seymour-Shove goal.

They were then prevented from pushing on to claim a much needed three points by an error from the referee who dismissed goalkeeper Tim Trebes for what appeared to be a collision as two players went for a 50-50 ball on the edge of the box. Even if it was a foul the ball had gone away from goal and there were defenders on hand to cover behind the keeper so the decision that it was a last man situation seemed inexplicable.

Even with stand in keeper Lee Chaffey between the sticks Ives still looked to be heading for a point until an unbelievable mistake by their usually reliable skipper Charlie De’ath who somehow completely missed his attempted clearance to a harmless looking punt down the middle to let in Kings substitute Joe Gallagher for a unlikely winner.

With goals proving hard to come by in recent weeks manager Ricky Marheineke went for a change of tactics up front pairing normal wide men Ben Seymour-Shove and Josh Dawkin as a front pair with signing Mark Coulson making his debut on the left. This change of plan and a much higher pressing style ensured that Ives put pressure on the Kings right from the off.

The visitors first effort on goal came after nine minutes as Scott Sinclair leapt to head on a Jordan Jarrold long throw. The ball fell to Seymour-Shove who unselfishly teed up his strike partner, but Dawkin’s low drive lacked power and was comfortably held by home keeper Danny Boness.

The Kings first dangerous attack came only sixty seconds later as the tricky Malhondo Martin fed a ball through the left channel to put Emmanuelson Duku clear. The big striker was very quickly closed by Trebes who made an excellent save with his body.

Ives were probing continually and were getting some success against the Kings back line particularly down the left. Seymour-Shove got away from his marker and around the back on 21 minutes. But his low cross to pick out Dawkin was cut out by Jorell Johnson at the expense of a corner. Two more Ives corners followed in quick succession and from the third of these they had a good shout for a penalty turned down as Seymour-Shove’s corner appeared to be deflected onto the hand of a Kings defender before it was scrambled away.

A deep cross from Jarrold was spilled by keeper Boness to concede another corner to the Ives six minutes later. This time Coulson’s corner picked out De’ath powering in at the back post. The Ives skipper rose highest, but failed to hit the target under pressure from Kyle Anthony.

Ives won eight corners to the home sides none in the first half and the visitors went close from another of these on 35 minutes as Johnson won the initial ball, but only succeeded in putting it straight up in the air. Liam McDevitt got on the end of the dropping ball, but steered his header from a narrow angle wide of the post.

Having weathered the visitors storm the Kings created a couple of opportunities of their own in the closing minutes of the half. Duku almost Oran Swales clear on the left on 38 minutes, the speedy striker was only stopped by a clumsy challenge from McDevitt on the edge of the box. Duku fired in the free kick which beat the wall, but was punched away by Trebes.

The final opportunity of the half was carved out by an excellent cross field ball from Connor Toomey which Steve Ward did well to keep in by the corner flag. He laid the ball back to Martin who side stepped Jarrold’s attempted challenge stepped inside and fired in a fierce effort from the corner of the box that Trebes did well to hang onto at the second attempt.

Having done a lot of hard work in the first half Ives switched off at the start of the second period and were punished. Martin was allowed to receive a quick throw on the right. He found space to turn and deliver a ball which was allowed to travel right across the box where Toomey had ghosted in at the back post. The Kings skipper even had time to take a touch before firing the ball home past the exposed Trebes.

The Ives were rocked and almost fell two behind four minutes later as a quick break by Tom Nayama and Martin saw the ball fed into the feet of Ward on the edge of the box. He almost seemed to get the ball tangled in his feet, but still managed to fire in a powerful effort that rebounded to safety off Trebes left hand upright.

The visitors should have been level two minutes later as Jarrold delivered a deep free kick into the box that De’ath won at the far post. He headed the ball down to Dawkin who prodded a first time effort goalwards from six yards the ball beat the keeper, but hit the underside of the bar and bounced down. Harry O’Malley following up powered his close range header over the top.

Ives were not giving up and the pace and movement of Dawkin and Seymour-Shove was causing the Kings defenders problems. Dawkin fed his partner in through the right channel on 59 minutes, but Seymour-Shove’s first time effort across goal drifted beyond the far post.

The Kings were now trying to slow things down and play the ball around at the back, but they reckoned without the speed and tenacity of Seymour-Shove as he single handedly grabbed a leveller on 64 minutes. He pressurised Anthony into a mistake deep in his own half and then sped on into the box before clipping a shot past keeper Boness that went in off the far post.

Having got level we were all hoping Ives would go on and win this game, but referee Gareth Viccars intervened to make life very difficult for them with 20 minutes to go. His initial error appeared to be over ruling his assistant who had rightly awarded a throw to the Ives. He them compounded the error as Martin delivered the ball over the top and Duku ran onto it. Trebes quickly came off his line and the two players both appear to get to the ball together and it rebounded away from goal. The two collided heavily and both stayed down. Referee Viccars waited for Trebes to complete his recovery before showing him a red card for a perceived last man challenge.

A quick reshuffle followed with Sinclair sacrificed to allow Lee Chaffey to come on and don the gloves. With a stand in keeper and only ten men on the park the home side looked hot favourites to go on to claim the three points, but the gallant visitors dug deep and fought for every ball preventing the home side building up any head of steam.

The closest either side came to grabbing a winner inside the 90 minutes was a quick break that saw substitute Andrew Phillips break clear on the left. He closed on goal, but chose to pass to Seymour-Shove rather than shoot. Seymour-Shove took a touch on the edge of the box, but only rattled the boards with his well struck effort.

Chaffey was called on to make his first real save one minute into added time as Duku ran clear onto a clip over the top. But the stand in keeper quickly closed the big striker down and made an excellent save holding onto the well struck shot at close range.

Just as it looked like the game was going to end with honours even Johnson hit a hopeful ball down the middle. De’ath had time for a comfortable clearance, but inexplicably tried to hammer the ball rather than simply get a good contact and he completely missed his kick. Kings substitute Gallagher who had set off on a run more in hope than expectation could not believe his luck as the ball arrived at his feet. He kept his composure and drew the exposed Chaffey to him before clipping the ball into the roof of the net.

There was still time for Ives to mount one final attack and Higgs pounced on a poor clearance from Emmanuel Foralin, but fired his powerful drive from 25 yards inches past the post.

They say that the breaks even out over a season and Ives must be hoping that lady luck shines on them soon otherwise we will be looking at a season of struggle. These are the type of games where points must be won. But on the positive side, yes there was one, the change in formation and tactics ensured that we put a lot more pressure on the opposition and enjoyed a lot more possession in the final third of the pitch. The main protagonist of the pressing game and the man that ran his heart out in his unfamiliar role, Ben Seymour-Shove got a deserved man of the match award from the Ives faithful

St Ives team : Trebes, O’Malley, Jarrold, De’ath (capt), McDevitt, Higgs, Sinclair (Chaffey 70), McGowan, Seymour-Shove, Dawkin, Coulson (Phillips 62)

Unused subs : Harradine, Leavers

Goals : Seymour-Shove 64

Supporters Man of the Match : Ben Seymour-Shove

Final Score :  Kings Langley  2  St Ives Town 1

Attendance  :  81