First Team Friendly Result (H) Peterborough United Youth XI

St Ives Town 1 vs Peterborough United Youth XI 1

Date: Tuesday 12th July 2016
Kick Off: 7:30pm
Competition: Pre-Season Friendly
Ground Address: ProEdge Westwood Road, St Ives, Cambridgeshire, PE27 6DT

Pre-season continued well for the Ives with a good win in an entertaining, fast moving, encounter against a skilful and competitive Posh team boasting at least one first team player.

Both sides enjoyed the opportunity to move the ball around on an excellent surface sharpened up by the days rain. Each team spent the early period of the game with a good degree of possession, without either being able to penetrate the others back line.

It took until the 18th minute before either side could carve out even a half chance. Andrew Phillips managed to escape down the left. He laid the ball back to the feet of the late arriving Jordan Jarrold, but his well struck shot from 20 yards was bravely blocked at close range by Posh skipper Hugh Alban-Jones.

As the half wore on the Ives began to get on top and created a better opportunity five minutes later as the alert Josh Dawkin took a quick throw on the right and then delivered a low driven cross into the middle from the return ball. The Posh defence struggled to deal with it and a miss hit clearance fell to the feet of Harry O’Malley on the penalty spot. But he snatched at the chance and only succeeded in firing high and wide.

Ives manager Ricky Marheineke executed his pre-match plan as he made four changes on 35 minutes. One of the new introductions Joe Carden had an immediate impact as he sprinted away from his marker down the right. He looked up and picked out the un-marked Phillips on the penalty spot who made no mistake firing the ball home high into the roof of the net giving keeper Lewis Elsom no chance.

Just as it appeared that the home side were going to head in to the break in front they were caught out by a quick break from the speedy Posh strikers. Jordan Broome and Cam Stump combined to play their way past an exposed Dan Moyes with the latter firing home into the bottom corner of the net from just inside the box past the despairing right hand of Tim Trebes.

Broome continued to cause the home defence problems with his pace and trickery early in the second half. But his team mates squandered the half chances he managed to set up from his dancing runs down the right.

Marheineke executed the second half of his pre-match plan on 65 minutes rolling back on the four players that previously went off and adding Ben Keating to the mix. From this point the superior fitness of the Ives began to tell and they were now looking the only likely winners.

On 78 minutes an excellent flowing move saw Jarrold play the ball in to the feet of Sam Ives who held the ball up well and played it back to Keating in space. He instantly swung the ball out wide to Carden. His driven cross was bravely claimed by substitute keeper Conor Barton just ahead of Ives.

The home side looked certain to go back in front four minutes later as Posh Centre back James Goode misjudged a long ball from Scott Sinclair and Ives found himself clear with only the keeper to beat. He prodded the ball past Barton and went to run onto it only to be held back by the keeper. Inexplicably the referee waved away appeals for a penalty and left the Posh keeper a very lucky man.

Keeper Barton was called into action twice more in the next two minutes as he kept out a header from Tom McGowan and a crisp drive from Sinclair. Jack Higgs fired a free kick from 20 yards inches over the top on 88 minutes and it looked like the last chance to win the game had probably gone.

However the home side continued to pile on the pressure and bagged two corners in quick succession as the clock ticked towards time. Ben Seymour-Shove swung in the second of these from the left to well beyond the far post where skipper Charlie De’ath rose above the crowd to head the ball powerfully back into the goal mouth Tom McGowan reacted first to force the ball home.

There was still time for Ives to switch off and almost hand the visitors an equaliser. The elusive Broome delivered another telling ball from the right which picked out Stump unmarked eight yards from goal. Fortunately the young striker failed to hit the target with his free header.

Only seconds later the full time whistle went to conclude a thoroughly entertaining game. The Ives fans can be happy that the new players appear to be bedding in well and the all important team spirit seems to be growing in the new group. It can be no co-incidence that Ives controlled the game for the final 20 minutes as the all important fitness work began to show through.

One to note for the statisticians amongst us. 15 year old goalkeeper Shay Griffiths made his first appearance for Ives replacing Tim Trebes for the last 15 minutes (and keeping a clean sheet for his period on the pitch). Is he the youngest player to represent St Ives first team?

Final Score : St Ives Town  2 (Phillips 39, McGowan 90) Peterborough United Development XI  1 (Stump 43)

St Ives team : Trebes, O’Malley, Jarrold, De’ath, Chaffey, Higgs, Seymour-Shove, Harradine, Phillips, Ives, Dawkin

Subs (all used roll on roll off)  :  Griffiths, Moyes, Sinclair, McGowan, Keating, Carden


Attendance  :  126