FA Trophy Result: St Ives Town 4 Rugby Town 2

Saturday 4th October 2015 –  FA Cup Second Round Qualifying

St Ives Town 4 Rugby Town 2

Sunday certainly proved a fun day for the Ives as they suddenly found their scoring form again to romp through to the next round of the FA Trophy against a struggling Rugby Town side in glorious October sunshine at the Pro-Edge stadium.

Manager Ricky Marheineke went for a change of formation and made two changes of personnel from Tuesday evenings draw with Aylesbury. Dan Moyes came in at centre back for Steve Gentle who was resting a knock and Ben Seymour-Shove made his first start since the opening game of the season in place of the unfortunate Peter Clark.

The Ives started positively and Seymour-Shove was involved in the move which created the first good opportunity of the game after ten minutes. He combined well with Harry O’Malley and Luke Knight down the right before the latter played the ball into Danny Watson on the edge of the D, he cleverly played the ball on to Stuart Eason who cut inside on his right foot and curled the ball just over the angle from 15 yards.

However only two minutes later the Ives were unfortunate to fall behind against the run of play to the Valley’s first meaningful attack as Jake Healy picked a ball 25 yards from goal and tried to thread a pass through to David Kolodynski. The ball struck Jordan Jarrold and rolled perfectly into the path of Kolodynski who made no mistake from ten yards.

The Ives were still continuing to look the better side and were looking much more mobile and purposeful going forward. Danny Watson missed a difficult chance to put them level on 16 minutes as he outpaced the visitors defence to get on the end of a chip over the top by Jarrold, but he got to much on his attempted lob from the edge of the box and the ball just cleared the crossbar.

The Valley enjoyed a period of good possession for 15 minutes after this and created two good half chances. Kolodynski glanced a Kevin Thornton free kick inches wide on 21 minutes and Healy fired a fierce effort off target from 20 yards after he had found space to cut in from the right.

The game was turned on it’s head with two goals to the home side in a four minute spell just after the half hour mark. On 32 minutes Seymour-Shove was brought down by a clumsy challenge from Mason Rowley 25 yards from goal in a central position. Jack Higgs lined up the free kick, curled it around the three man wall and the ball bounced into the corner of the net past a poorly judged dive from Valley keeper Raajan Gill.

The home side now had their tails up and only three minutes later Phil Draycott found space down the left and drilled in a low cross to the near post where Seymour-Shove got a flick which rebounded off the chest of the startled Gill and out for a corner.  Seymour-Shove delivered the perfect in-swinging corner and Eason powered in to rocket home a header from six yards which gave Gill no chance.

It could have been three right at the end of the first half as Watson once again got clear as he ran onto a long ball out of defence by Charlie De’ath. Gill left his line to try and close the striker down and the option for a lob looked very inviting, but Watson failed to get a good contact and only succeeded in playing the ball into the hands of the grateful Gill in no man’s land by the penalty spot.

There was still time for Ives to almost gift the visitors an equaliser in first half stoppage time. Valley full back Ryan Walker was allowed space to run at the home defence and he fired in a short from 25 yards that deflected off De’ath. The ball was going out for a corner, but in trying to prevent the corner home keeper Tim Trebes only succeeded in keeping the ball in play for Kolodynski to pick up. Fortunately covering defender Moyes was alert to the danger and he managed to clear Kolodynski’s effort from a narrow angle off the goal line.

The Valley made two changes at the break as they tried to claw their way back into the game with Roger Lee replacing Walker and Ashley Gray replacing Dan Clifton both of whom appeared to pick up knocks at the end of the first half.

However it was the Ives who started the second period on the front foot and Higgs went close with a spectacular effort on 48 minutes as he lobbed up the ball 20 yards from the visitors goal and hammered in a powerful volley from the dropping ball that flew only just over the top.

The half was only six minutes old when Watson claimed the goal his overall play deserved to give the home side a two goal cushion. A long ball out of defence was flicked on by Eason and Seymour-Shove tried to battle his way between two much larger defenders. But it was Seymour-Shove’s persistence which saw the ball deflected out to the unmarked Watson. He brought the ball down expertly on the corner of the box and fired in a effort which bobbled over the hands of the unfortunate Gill and ended up in the back of the net.

The game was over as a contest just after the hour as Draycott drove in a low cross from the left which deflected off Mason for a corner. Seymour-Shove again delivered a pin point flag kick which O’Malley won at the far post. His header travelled across goal and arrived back at the feet of Seymour-Shove who curled in another cross which was won in the air at the near post by De’ath whose flick flew past the despairing dive of Gill and nestled in the far corner of the net.

The game now settled down as manager Marheineke used his substitutes. The replacement of Seymour-Shove on 65 minutes saw the young Ives winger leave the field to a standing ovation and rightly so as he had a hand in all four goals and was a constant threat to the Valley defence. He was replaced by Scott Sinclair and it was good to see another winger returning from long term injury get a good 25 minutes under his belt.

The next action in either penalty area came on 80 minutes and it was a pinball affair as the ball ricoched around the visitor’s box as two well struck efforts from substitute Chae Simons were both blocked and a fierce drive from Luke Knight was palmed away by the nervous Gill.

Gill blotted his copy book again with five minutes of normal time to go as he raced from goal to needlessly bring down Simons wide on the left as the young striker tried to get on the end of a Jarrold clip over the top. Knight lined up the free kick and fired in an effort which Gill again chose to push away under no pressure.

With time running out the Ives let their concentration slip and allowed Thornton to grab a consolation goal as he picked up a deflected pass 12 yards from goal which he slotted into the far corner giving Trebes no chance.

This goal sparked a brief frenzy of activity around the Ives box as the game entered added time. Thornton drove in a cross that bounced around the home side’s box before finally being cleared for a corner. Kolodynski almost got on the end of the corner, but the ball drifted to safety. In spite of nine added minutes this was the final scare and the Ives fans can now look forward to greeting Kettering Town to the Pro-Edge stadium at the end of October in the next round.

The fans behind the goal came up with a series of at least six man of the match contenders in a good all round peformance. But my casting vote goes to the man who was involved in all four goals and was hugely influential in ensuring we looked much more of a threat going forward throughout his time on the pitch Ben Seymour-Shove.

Rugby Trophy Line Up

St Ives team : Trebes, O’Malley, Jarrold, Death, Moyes, Knight (capt), Seymour-Shove (Sinclair 65), Higgs (Warwick 79), Eason, Watson (Simons 72), Draycott

Unused subs : Gentle, Clark

Goals : Higgs 32, Eason 36, Watson 51, De’ath 63

Supporters Man of the Match : Ben Seymour-Shove

Final Score :  St Ives Town 4 Rugby Town 2

Attendance  :  205