Dunstable Town 2 St Ives Town 1

Saturday 11th January 2014 – The Calor League – Division One (Central)Jon Stead

Dunstable Town 2 St Ives Town 1

Attendance: 146
Man of the Match: Jon Stead (St Ives Town)

“Steady as you go as the Saints deserved a point”

by Simon Clark

The league leaders came from behind this afternoon at Creasey Park to walk away with all three points to remain at the top of Division One with 146 in attendance at Creasey Park.

The Duns forward; Tony Burnett caused havoc amongst the Saints defence on 6 minutes when he broke free of the Saints defence but found Saints keeper; Barney McLaughlin in top form to close down and prevent the leaders from opening up the score line. Jon Stead’s free kick, only moments later, was tipped over the crossbar by Jamie Head.

David Cobb, playing further forward this afternoon, looked lively as he latched on to a long ball but Head was out to push Cobb’s shot around his post. Terry Dixon, who was making his debut for the home side, saw his low cross flash past the sliding Burnett as Dunstable were adamant on taking the lead. At the end of the first period, both sides would have felt they deserved the lead and within 60 seconds of the restart, Jon Stead found himself with space on the left hand side, at the angle, to release an excellent strike which flew into the top corner, leaving Head no chance.

Two minutes later, Leon Cashman blasted in an equaliser from close range, at the second attempt, to bring the scores level to 1-1. Karl Gibbs was strong in attack for the Saints and he latched onto a driven shot from Stead on 55 minutes but his effort went wide of Head’s near post. McLaughlin was once again called into action when he sped from his line and once again closed down Burnett.

It was on 58 minutes when The Duns took the lead. Adam Watkins’ free kick bent around the four man wall and unfortunately McLaughlin was unable to hold on to the low strike as it spilled to Burnett who got his reward for his efforts with the winning goal. Karl Gibbs was denied the opportunity for an equaliser on 59 minutes when Jon Stead’s centre met Gibbs’ head but Jamie Head acrobatically tipped the ball over for a corner. With the Saints making two substitutions through injury, David Cobb was then replaced by 52 year old co-manager; Warren Everdell who immediately influential when he started the attack with Stuart Cobb on the right hand side, which saw Avelino Vieira’s downward header cleared off the line by The Duns defender.

The final whistle blew and the Saints will be pleased with the performance but also frustrated that the points were not shared on a cold, but sunny, afternoon in Dunstable.

The Saints now host Aylesbury United on Tuesday night at ProEdge Westwood Road.