Chertsey Town 0 St Ives Town 4

Tuesday 25th February 2014 – The Calor League Division One (Central)The Calor League

Chertsey Town 0 St Ives Town 4

Att: 93
Man of the Match: Lee Ellison (St Ives Town)
Goals: Jason King 2, Lee Ellison, Tom Meechan

“King gets the goals but Ellison takes a bow in midfield”

by Simon Clark

The Saints moved back into 11th place of the Central Division with a commanding four nil victory with a 200 mile round trip to Surrey compiling more misery on The Curfews who remain in the bottom tow.

Whilst St Ives Town dominated position in the opening twenty minutes there was very few chances worthy of a mention for both sides but on twenty one minutes Chertsey’s Tom Betts came the closest with a long range effort that never really troubled Barney McLaughlin in the Saints goal. At the other end of the field the ball fell nicely to Will Fordham who powered in a low drive which crashed against the foot of the post. When the rebound fell to Ellison he made no mistake in driving the ball between the keeper and the near post.

On twenty five minutes, Dan Banister muscled his way down the right hand side and delivered an excellent low ball across the goal line where Jason King was on hand to bundle the ball over the line with his first goal of the season, since returning from a three year spell playing for Godmanchester Rovers.

Dan Newman and loanee; Mitchell Hancock combined well on the right hand side on twenty seven minutes but Ellison could not double his own tally after he effort was mistimed and falling to a Chertsey Town defender who clear his lines. Ashley White looked sharp on the left hand side and he was frustrated shortly before the half time break when he saw his effort cleared off the line.

As both sides came out for the second period it was clear that the next goal was make this match more interesting. Chertsey had the better of the opening minutes but failed to capitalise on their possession in front of McLaughlin’s goal. On the hour mark both Matty Waters and Lee Ellison had chances to extend the lead but were denied but some resilient defending from the home side.

Tom Meechan replaced Avelino Vieira and immediately made an impact from the bench. Meechan looked sharp and gave the forward line the extra dimension they needed to get that all important third goal. On seventy eight minutes, Jason King’s effort was well saved by Rhys Marshall. Four minutes later Marshall as on hand again to deny King his second of the game but from the resulting save and low cross King found himself in pace at the far post to meet Meechan’s low cross making that three nil to the travelling Saints.

In the last five minutes, Meechan’s efforts were rewarded when he managed to negotiate some space inside the penalty area and as Marshall advanced Meechan executed and excellent chip into the unguarded net. Chertsey’s best chance of the game fell to substitute; Danny Sharp when he managed to squeeze in behind the Saints back line but he saw his low drive fly across the goal area with no colleague in place to net a consolation. Chertsey remain second from bottom whilst the Saints ove back up into 11th lace taking seven points from a possible nine in the last three league matches.