Aylesbury United 3 St Ives Town 3

Saturday 22nd February 2014 – The Calor League Division One (Central)The Calor League

Aylesbury United 3 St Ives Town 3

Attendance: 175
Man of the Match: Jon Stead (pictured)

Goals: Jon Stead 2, Avelino Vieira

After the previous encounter between these two sides ending with United running out 4-2 winners at ProEdge Westwood Road this was billed to be yet another exciting match up and both sets of players lived up to the billing but sharing the points at Bell Lane.

The Saints welcomed Jamie Alsop an Nick Bennion back into the starting line up after lengthy injuries and also found Jordan Lambert with a seat on the bench after his trip to Thailand. Karl Gibbs started well for the Saints and on 5 minutes he found himself with space to shoot but his volley sailed over the United crossbar. Avelino Vieira came close on 9 minutes with a header as the front men looked to get on top.

The first goal came on 18 minutes when Lee Ellison and Jon Stead combined well and when Stead’s cross met the left foot of Vieira 18 yards out there was only one place it was heading and that inside the far post. It was soon two nil and on 22 minutes, the inspirational Jon Stead calmly brought down a forward ball, turned and volleyed past the helpless Jack Silitoe in the United goal.

Aylesbury came back strong and had chances on the half hour mark seeing Dan Newman clear off his own goal line and Jason King looking commanding in the back line. It was on 38 minutes when The Ducks came back into the game and it was Liam Smyth’s 25 yard strike that flew past Bennion with a slight deflection off Jason King on the way through.

In a frantic two minutes after the break, the home side levelled with yet another excellent strike from distance by Dom Petrucci leaving Bennion stranded with a dive into the top corner. Within 60 seconds, the Saints were back in control when Jon Stead broke through the United defence to latch on to a Gibbs flick and in finishing well into the roof of the net it was the end of his match as he limped off injured.

Full back Nathan Horne had two excellent chances on 62 and 75 minutes to extend the Saints lead and put the game out of United’s reach but after getting in great positions to finish both efforts sailed over the cross bar. With the Saints started to get pressed back, the inevitable happened on 80 minutes when Paul Edgeworth found space just inside the 18 yard box to flick his header over the advancing Bennion to make it 3-3. Aylesbury then had a late chance to win all three points but after an entertaining match, which saw no cautions for either side, the points were shared making it 12 goals from the two games played between these two sides.

Saints Co Manager; Jez Hall tweeted after the match “Good point away to Aylesbury United today. Tough game, we were superb at times. Shame to lose steady to a ripped hamstring”

St Ives now face Chertsey Town away on Tuesday night and Northwood next Saturday at ProEdge Westwood Road.