Aylesbury FC 5 St Ives Town 1

Saturday 14th December 2013 – The Calor League Division One (Central)barney

Aylesbury FC 5 St Ives Town 1

Att: 127

Man of the Match: Barney McLaughlin (St Ives Town)

“Saints hit for five against the up and coming Moles”

By Simon Clark

The Saints suffered their heaviest defeat for three years as they were defeated by a spirited Aylesbury side who fully deserved their victory and three points.

In the opening ten minutes, the Saints had opportunities to put the game to bed when the lively looking Karl Gibbs found himself with space but he saw his effort well saved by James Weatherill. The rebound fell to Dan Banister but Weatherill was up to make the double save. Avelino Vieira and Jon Stead also found the young keeper in fine form.
Barney McLaughlin tipped a long range effort over the bar on 12 minutes and from the resulting corner, Dan Banister cleared from the line to deny the opening goal for Aylesbury.

Aylesbury had their own chances in the first period and Weatherill’s opposite number; Barney McLaughlin was kept busy with saves from Lamar Simpson and Aston Goss. The first goal for The Moles came on 30 minutes Sam Bateman found himself getting closer and closer to the goal and finish into the bottom corner. The home side doubled their advantage 7 minutes later and whilst many felt that the ball should have been kicked out for the injured Karl Gibbs, Gareth Price took advantage and made it 2-0.

After the first period, the Saints were ruing their missed chances but the home side came out firing again, much to the surprise of the Saints. On 54 minutes, Aylesbury were awarded a penalty and when Aston Goss stepped up, Barney McLaughlin was equal to it with an excellent save, however, as witnessed on Tuesday night the rebound fell kindly to Goss who finished from close range.

With the Saints still looking to get into the game, McLaughlin denied Sam Bateman his second of the game but against the run of play Jamie Rudd made it 4-0 on 70 minutes and two minutes later Sonny French made it 5-0.

A consolation goal for Tom Meechan on 86 minutes rounded off a disappointing day at the office for the Saints as they now look to get the season back on track with a home match on Tuesday against today’s neighbours; Aylesbury United.